• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad situation with Rick Menefee

Status
Not open for further replies.

badglide9705

Gold Member
I post this for your information. Just want people to know what kind of guy Rick is. The backstory is I bought a knife that had been in a fire. I saw the pictures of it and thought, it doesn't look too bad, maybe it didn't get too hot. So after carrying it for awhile the back spring broke. I contacted Rick and told him about the fire and spring. My question was, could anything be done with it. He told me to send it to him. I forgot about it for about 2 and a half years! I wanted to give him time, but not that much. So I contacted him today to ask about it. The rest is in the screen shots.

Were you given the knife? Or did you purchase it?

When you bought it/given it, you understood the knife had been damaged.

Is there more to the story here?

If this is the entire communication chain, then I would say he has some poor skill in how to talk with people.

Were you given the knife? Or did you purchase it?

When you bought it/given it, you understood the knife had been damaged.

Is there more to the story here?

If this is the entire communication chain, then I would say he has some poor skill in how to talk with people.
That's pretty much it. I never asked for anything, free or not. He knew it had been in a fire and asked me to send it. I was hoping it could be salvaged, rebuilt or something. Not at his expense. It was damaged, I wouldn't expect any maker to repair or replace at their expense. The issue here is he was incapable of acting like an adult and saying "Sorry, I can't do anything with it"

"Mr. Menafee,
In regards to our previous conversation I think we may have a dual misunderstanding, I didn't expect anything for free I only wanted to know if the knife was salvageable for a reasonable cost by you, the maker. Perhaps not perfect, not cosmetically unblemished and certainly not warrantied but usuable, my apologies if I gave you the impression I expected anything gratis."

Nah. Selective editing and unreasonable indignation on your part. Communication does go both ways.

The Liberal ways and sorry ass men
- always want something for nothing
- tell half truths
- evade answering questions
- stomp ones little feet when they don’t like what is said.
-
Best regards
Rick Menefee

Last edited:
Nah. Selective editing and unreasonable indignation on your part. Communication does go both ways.

Dude put in a ps that says "Go fuck yourself". I think OP's indignation is entirely reasonable. Hearing that Menefee was a douchebag was one of the first things I heard when I started getting into slipjoints. Looks like that hasn't changed.

The backstory is I bought a knife that had been in a fire. I saw the pictures of it and thought, it doesn't look too bad, maybe it didn't get too hot. So after carrying it for awhile the back spring broke.

I forgot about it for about 2 and a half years!

^ :rolleyes:

- tell half truths

-
Best regards
Rick Menefee

^ :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Moral to this story: Don't buy knives that have been involved in a fire....and then complain about it (edited to add) "TWO AND ONE HALF YEARS" later.

Last edited:
- tell half truths
-
Best regards
Rick Menefee
Rick, at no time, ever, did I ask you to do or give anything for nothing. Our last conversation went from 0 to go fuck yourself in the blink of an eye. Although you are a talented craftsman, your a piss poor businessman. I just wanted to share this side of you with other potential customers. They can make their own determinations. I'm not looking to escalate this any further. Water under the bridge. And I'll gladly forget about it and you. Done.

You’re a liar. You wanted me to warranty a knife. That was the first thing you asked me in our conversation. Like I told you, I would fix it if it was my fault. When the knife arrived to me, it was obvious this knife had been considerably damaged from the fire, nothing that would be the maker’s fault. We settled this 2 1/2 years ago and now you want something for nothing. Not my fault When there are temper lines thru the spring. We discussed this. As for my business practices, I’ve done this daily for 25 years and 1000’s of knives. Feel free to search the World Wide Web and find anything in which Rick Menefee has screwed anybody for anything. I go above and beyond to stand behind my work, but this situation, I simply cannot accept responsibility.

GFY... Grin....
Ricky Bob Menefee

Last edited:
You’re a liar. You wanted me to warranty a knife. That was the first thing you asked me in our conversation. Like I told you, I would fix it if it was my fault. When the knife arrived to me, it was obvious this knife had been considerably damaged from the fire, nothing that would be the maker’s fault. We settled this 2 1/2 years ago and now you want something for nothing. Not my fault When there are temper lines thru the spring. We discussed this. As for my business practices, I’ve done this daily for 25 years and 1000’s of knives. Feel free to search the World Wide Web and find anything in which Rick Menefee has screwed anybody for anything. I go above and beyond to stand behind my work, but this situation, I simply cannot accept responsibility.

GFY... Grin....
Ricky Bob Menefee

Wow. Ricky Bob is stamping his feet something fierce. I guess he is an easily triggered snowflake.

I get that waiting 2.5 years to follow up is, at best, odd. However, nothing the OP did justifies the response from Ricky Bob.

I won't armchair quarterback this situation as I have no dog in the fight, but I will say that I have dealt with Rick in the past and would gladly deal with him again. I have had a few of his knives and IMO they represent exceptional values at the price points they usually go for. Fit, finish, functioning, design, materials…everything has always been top notch.

As far as he goes as a person, I have always found him helpful and willing to quickly answer any questions. I once had a beautiful slipjoint from him that was the envy of a lot of slipjoint users/collectors and he straight out told me out of the blue one day that if I ever wore that knife out, he'd build me a new one. We weren't even talking about that when he said it; he just wanted me to know that he had my back as far as the knife was concerned.

I'm not sure what is going on between Rick and the OP (with whom I have no direct experience), but hopefully things will get worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back