Recommendation? Bailout Alternative

Milwaukee utility knife.
82g8.png

Try the Hogue version of the Grip, much better than the original Benchmade, looks and performs great

Honestly glockboy an scooterG are right; the only real option is disposable blades. Nothing is going to cut roofing shingles for long before it is going to be beyond dull.

Check out the Spectrum Energetics utilizer if you want to have the flyest disposable blade knife on any roof.

I failed? According to Cedric & Ada, when both are heat-treated correctly, the edge retention is similar or better.

I HAVE a Bugout, everyone. The reason I want better edge retention than S30V isn't steel snobbery, it's necessity. I'm working a construction job that involves cutting roofing shingles, and the Bugout dulled and chipped on me halfway through. Something with more edge retention and toughness (like properly heat-treated 3V) would be ideal, but I'm assuming I can get only one or the other.
Yes, by your own omission nonetheless. On average, I'd not expect 3v to have better edge retention than s30v. Your entire premise was a fail before you started. I'm not trying to be rude, just telling it as I've experienced.

I agree with others that a box cutter with disposable blades is a far more effective option.

Reactions: Mo2
Aye, I hate to bore you with a consensus, but there aren’t any blade steels designed to hold up to shingles or any silica-embedded materials.

If you’re dead-set on a knife, I’d opt for something like Maxamet that has loads of wear resistance and strength. Maybe Elmax.

Really, though, you’ll get more mileage with utility razors.

Ditto what Comeuppance said-
I see a new material to test edges against: composition single:rolleyes:
Because, well because lasers would be unsafe...

I couldn't imagine trying to use a folding knife with any steel when I was roofing. Get the hook blades for cutting shingles and keep them fresh. Then, you can use your bugout for cutting the bundles open.

No steel will hold an edge cutting shingles. On top of that I would expect a lot of edge damage.

If you want a knife that otherwise meets your criteria then get a ManixLW in S110V.

As the consensus have said: for cutting shingles go with a sturdy, disposable blade.

Neither a Bugout nor a Bailout, even in adamantium, would last long against shingles.

Yes, by your own omission nonetheless. On average, I'd not expect 3v to have better edge retention than s30v. Your entire premise was a fail before you started. I'm not trying to be rude, just telling it as I've experienced.

Wow, you weren't even trying huh? Pardon me, but rudeness seems to come easily to you. :rolleyes:

I couldn't imagine trying to use a folding knife with any steel when I was roofing. Get the hook blades for cutting shingles and keep them fresh. Then, you can use your bugout for cutting the bundles open.

No steel will hold an edge cutting shingles. On top of that I would expect a lot of edge damage.

If you want a knife that otherwise meets your criteria then get a ManixLW in S110V.

As the consensus have said: for cutting shingles go with a sturdy, disposable blade.

Neither a Bugout nor a Bailout, even in adamantium, would last long against shingles.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Maybe roofing shingles are just too tough a task for any folding knife. I'll look into the Spyderco Manix LW S110V, and maybe a Havalon Piranta.

Last edited:
I think OP wants fancy pants for a dirty job *shrug*
Not sure how well it would work on roofing tiles, but he could carbidized the edge of his fancy knife. Not idea for cutting some things due to its not so perfect edge. But it may help cut that media. I don't have experience with that but have read a lot about it.

I think the point here is to get the right tool for the right job...

If you have a good knife it can support you for most tasks, however the concept of a tool is often to been both efficient and disposable

A tool tends to get beaten and abuse per nature.

If you want to do some roofing, get a tool designed for that, and get the cheapest one to save some money for a better knife :)

From Cedric Ada tests you can see that s90v has more edge retention than 52100... But what happens when you cut sand paper? Complete opposite results. Please take into consideration that one data point is not enough to encompass what knife edge retention actually is. And there is likely no steel in a pocket knife that's going to be effective at cutting very abrasive materials.

Last edited:
Back