Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Viper Katla Carbon

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Viper Katla Micarta

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Viper Katla Titanium

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
So, sadly I have to come back here in search of help. The Smock I bought on na online marketplace sadly had a chipped edge so I got the guy to take it back and refund me.
So now I wanted to go directly for the other option, a M4 bailout, but then came across this: http://www.viper.it/en/gentleman&collezione/katla.html. It actually looks kinda awesome, is a voxnaes design with a m390 blade and so many handle options, that marbled carbon is sexy af. How is m4 compared to m390 generally speaking? I also think about in the pocket Vs in the hand. The bailout seems so slim and will be instantly scratched by my keys and the voxnaes seems more robust ,even though it's a (admittedly thick) liner lock compared to the supposedly stronger axislock (besides the omega spring debacle). The bailout I would get for 170 to 180 so they are basically the same.

Thanks in advance for your input, I'm interested in your opinions about the katla handle options as well.

Unfortunately, I’m relatively new to the knife game....so take my input with a grain of salt. I simply don’t have the experience to comment with much authority and my frame of reference is fairly limited.

Having said that, I was recently considering the same two knives (among many others) and ultimately opted for the Katla. I went with the 3D marbled carbon fiber version.

Overall, I love the knife. We don’t have any local knife shops in my neck of the woods, so I can’t compare it directly to the Bailout as I’ve never handled one.

The action on the Katla is swift and smooth. I have no trouble opening or closing the knife. Among the knives I own, I’d say it’s most comparable to my ZT 0450 in that regard.

The marbled carbon fiber looks really nice and, for the most part, seems to be very well executed. It’s here, however, that I have two minor complaints. Hopefully these will make sense, although I’m not really up to speed on my knife terminology yet.

My first issue is that along the top portion of the handle, where the CF transitions inside the handle, there were a few errant fibers sticking out. It was easy to smooth these away, but I thought the finishing could’ve been a hair better in that area.

My second minor complaint is that under certain lighting conditions, the 3D CF bolsters(?) don’t look quite as “upscale” as they do in the marketing pics. They can take on a somewhat “plasticky” look in comparison to the adjacent marbled carbon fiber. It’s most noticeable when the sun hits at just the right angle.

Again, because I’m new to knives I’m not sure how critical I should be of a knife in this price range. To me, these are fairly minor knocks as I truly love the overall aesthetics.

As far as a few other areas are concerned; the blade was dead-nuts center, the knife fits my hand perfectly and the blade came very sharp. It’s probably my favorite edc at the moment, and for what it’s worth I just ordered another Viper (the Orso).

To do over again, I might give some thought to the smooth marbled CF handle as opposed to the 3D milled version. Again, the carbon fiber has a nice tactile feel and takes on some beautiful hues in different lighting. I really dig it overall. I’m just undecided on the bolster areas.

Anyway, I’ll close with a few recent IRL photos of the Katla. If there’s anything in particular you’d like to see, let me know and I’ll try to get a pic. If you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Regards...and good luck deciding.
9wqy7Lo.jpg
sejtYNU.jpg

y01kWNt.jpg
4S25tb2.jpg
toUrjY5.jpg

Unfortunately, I’m relatively new to the knife game....so take my input with a grain of salt. I simply don’t have the experience to comment with much authority and my frame of reference is fairly limited.

Having said that, I was recently considering the same two knives (among many others) and ultimately opted for the Katla. I went with the 3D marbled carbon fiber version.

Overall, I love the knife. We don’t have any local knife shops in my neck of the woods, so I can’t compare it directly to the Bailout as I’ve never handled one.

The action on the Katla is swift and smooth. I have no trouble opening or closing the knife. Among the knives I own, I’d say it’s most comparable to my ZT 0450 in that regard.

The marbled carbon fiber looks really nice and, for the most part, seems to be very well executed. It’s here, however, that I have two minor complaints. Hopefully these will make sense, although I’m not really up to speed on my knife terminology yet.

My first issue is that along the top portion of the handle, where the CF transitions inside the handle, there were a few errant fibers sticking out. It was easy to smooth these away, but I thought the finishing could’ve been a hair better in that area.

My second minor complaint is that under certain lighting conditions, the 3D CF bolsters(?) don’t look quite as “upscale” as they do in the marketing pics. They can take on a somewhat “plasticky” look in comparison to the adjacent marbled carbon fiber. It’s most noticeable when the sun hits at just the right angle.

Again, because I’m new to knives I’m not sure how critical I should be of a knife in this price range. To me, these are fairly minor knocks as I truly love the overall aesthetics.

As far as a few other areas are concerned; the blade was dead-nuts center, the knife fits my hand perfectly and the blade came very sharp. It’s probably my favorite edc at the moment, and for what it’s worth I just ordered another Viper (the Orso).

To do over again, I might give some thought to the smooth marbled CF handle as opposed to the 3D milled version. Again, the carbon fiber has a nice tactile feel and takes on some beautiful hues in different lighting. I really dig it overall. I’m just undecided on the bolster areas.

Anyway, I’ll close with a few recent IRL photos of the Katla. If there’s anything in particular you’d like to see, let me know and I’ll try to get a pic. If you have any questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Regards...and good luck deciding.
9wqy7Lo.jpg
sejtYNU.jpg

y01kWNt.jpg
4S25tb2.jpg
toUrjY5.jpg
Wow thanks can you post a picture of the liner thickness?

Wow thanks can you post a picture of the liner thickness?

Again, kind of new to this. Hopefully these are the type of shots you’re asking for. If you need me to measure it or anything, just let me know.
L4L75fQ.jpg
4rB529H.jpg
sl2RZZK.jpg

Last edited:
Between the two I would get the Bailout with the Woodland Green aluminum scales and gray Cerakote M4 blade.

If I could only choose the Katla, I'd take that marbled CF, as I think it's very nicely done.

There is no "Omega Spring Debacle" in my camp.

Back