Baker handles

Have any of yall seen these at menards?They have a bunch of clubs and this is the second time this year that I have seen these,horrible wood like they are seconds and not sanded but the best shape I have found .20171012_150348.jpg20171012_150930.jpg20171012_142704.jpg

Have any of yall seen these at menards?
I have not. The last couple of times I've been in my closest Menards they didn't have didn't have any wood replacement handles. I just looked at Menards website and they show five 36" SB handles in stock. I am curious to take a look. Menards shows the brand as Baker Pro Tools. It appears the mother company is Baker McMillen Company.

Bob

I saw them in a Menards several years ago and contacted Baker. At that time at least (might be different now) they had exactly 2 handles to offer. But the ones I saw on the shelf had a pretty nice shape like your picture and good enough wood.

cNi1mcf.jpg

Ultimately the handles are hand picked and sorted for excellent quality :thumbsup:
I have only come across Link and then just a few weeks back noticed some master mechanic labels on a few different handles.

I own one. So far they are the best ones I’ve seen in terms of shape and slimness. At least in my area. I snapped my old handle on my true temper and got one of these from menards, liked the shape and size so much I only sanded the coating off and put some oil on it. Normally I have to spend a few hours getting them shaped down to the way I like them. You just need to sort the stack a bit and find the right one.

The Baker ad suggests that they use only the finest northern White Ash for handles. If this is the case for sure I wouldn't be tolerating any grain runout, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to thin these out too much either. There is nothing wrong with ash strength-wise but it is susceptible to separation along the grain much more so than other types of handle material.

Who knows maybe some are ash,this one says hickory.I stopped at 2 different menards on Saturday, one had none of these the other one had six and the wood was bad in all of them knots, spalting,couple had small tear out,rough finish the clubs had white wood and smooth,kinda peculiar the good ones have crap wood and the bad ones are ok.20171017_201030.jpg

I went by Menards a few days ago and came home with two 36" SB's. I thought I would post them here. The grain didn't show very well in the pictures so I did some editing, The pictures are somewhat hideous, but the grain stands out more. Also, the angle measurements are pretty rough but IMHO close enough for government work. A little over $19 inc 6% MI sales tax for the pair.

Bob

Back