Balisong & Roller (Ball) Bearings?

Hmmm, I have been trying to come to grips with some finger twirls and my hands are getting beat up in the process
frown.gif

My BM 45 is developing quite a bit of slop at the pivots on each of the handles...

Has anyone ever tried putting roller bearings in the handle pivots in an effort to keep things smooth and floppy free? ( Of course Clay could probably twirl chain saws with no difficulty
smile.gif

--Jerry

as a side note, I hurt when i use my bm 45 to do finger rolls.. I prefer my jags.. and BTE.. do I get to call myself Solid Snake?
smile.gif

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

Mickey.. youre kidding.. right.. Right??

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

Thanx for keeping me humble Mickey77
tongue.gif

And thanx to the rest of you for stroking my ego back up!

I've often wondered about bearings myself. I once worked in a bearing manufacturing plant.

I remember we had these tiny cylindrical rollers that went into an assembly. There was an inner race that the rollers traveled on, and a cage that went over the top, to keep them in place.

If you've ever seen the front wheel bearings for a car, it's along the same lines (only longer, and not tapered).

There has to be some way to get this to work. It could be a self contained unit that would slip in where the Pins go through. Then, a Torx screw through the center of that could hold the whole assembly together.

Am I making any sense????

And by the way......... Chain saws are for juggling, not twirling!
smile.gif

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because getting 'em open
is half the fun!

[This message has been edited by Clay (edited 03-01-2000).]

Just to let you guys know,Benchmade is going to start making their butterfly knives again. Titanium handles and latches, with adjustible pivots that probally could be replaced after they get worn out. They should be pretty fast, espically with a little white lightning!!!

------------------
A Knife is no more than an Iron Tooth

Great to see you bali guys again!

I have a custom balisong made by Mr. Nemoto Tomoyuki with bearings inserted in the blade. DEAD smooth and keeps being smooth even if handles get loose. The bali has brass handles that is easy to get loose after playing with it for months, I found the bearing system gives much tolerance even to brass handle. I bought it at about $200, cuz it was a prototype to make some discount. Now the model was discontinued as he thought it's too tough to install bearings into blade.

Tef-tef as WrongFriend here

Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefffffffff..........

Whats going on there bud??? Haven't heard from you in awhile.

How are you making out with the new addition to your family???

------------------
Clay
www.balisongxtreme.com
Because......
getting 'em open
is half the fun!

Hello,

Mine are going to have Bearings also,,,that is when i get a chance to make a few in the next few weeks....
biggrin.gif

Allen

I always wanted a balisong with bearings too but i could never find one so i am making my own. I'll post pics when done in a few weeks

------------------
Is chicken a vegetable?

Nice to hear from you again, Clay! I just checked out my daughter can't hold my BM 3" Bali yet...

My bali has a simple ball bearings in the blade. I have heard cone shaped "thrust(?)" bearings between the blade and the handle can stand very high pressure to tighten the handle with blade in between by bolts and nuts. I was offered a katana bali with that kind of bearings but it was tooooooooooo expensive.

------------------
\(^o^)/ Mizutani Satoshi \(^o^)/

Back