Banana Knife

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here is a fun one of a kind I just finished up :) About thirty years ago, I found a very cool Kukri like object at a dealer's shop in upstate NY. He wasn't really sure what it was called but it had come out of the Philippines. He said the guy who acquired it bought it from a guy cutting bananas so it became the Banana Knife :D I long ago traded it off but when I owned it, I learned a lot about curved blade advantages. It cut and chopped very well for it's light weight. I have always wanted to make my own version and finally got around to getting a design off paper. Here is my version of the concept in green canvas micarta and 1/4in 5160 steel. It is 15in overall with a 9 3/4in blade tip to handle. Weight it just as midge over 16oz. I am pretty pleased with the result. It chops pretty well on my test block in the shop. It is a pretty versatile cutter being able to slash and chop but by choking up on the blade, can do finer carving too. I tend to think of it as a Kukri Lite as it has that mechanical advantage while being a lot less bulky in weight and dimension to a more traditional kukri.
ba0aa70571ab590b950d5fb139893dba.jpg

Thanks guys! This is a fun Knife for me. Brought back some great memories and it turned out really well considering the grind is far from easy to pull off without eating into the spine.

Back