Bark River Essential EDC opinions?

twl

Looks like a nice EDC with top-notch CPM-M4 steel with a 63-64 heat treat at a sub-$200 price category for the micarta handled models.

Similar size as an Izula, but have better toughness and edge retention, and look much nicer and more refined for an EDC.
Possibly looking at a KSF pocket sheath to go with it.

This would be my first possible venture into a pocket fixed blade.
Nothing against the Izula or the Becker Necker either, but I wanted a fancier knife with a top-rated steel that still has some good toughness to go with the edge-holding, and I think CPM-M4 fits that bill.

Anybody have this knife, or would like to comment about it?
Pros?
Cons?
Opinions?

Tanx!

I had one for a while. Very nice small FB, excellent F&F, outstanding blade steel. I sold it because it's a heavy little bugger with a wide handle and I prefer a lighter and smaller FB for pocket carry. I ended up with a Little Creek and it works well for what I do with a pocket FB. Between that, my Alan Jackson custom, and a Keith Murr handmade FB, the Essential just didn't have a place so I passed it along to someone who'd use it.

I liked the sheath that came with it. I carry a mini-Fox River sometimes and it's the same crossdraw style sheath as the Essential. If you're thinking about the Essential for pocket carry, you might want to go to Crystal River Trading Co and look at their pocket sheaths. They are designed just for the knife and the knife is centered in the sheath. I've found those to put the handle in a more accessible position in my RFP than the knife/light combo sheaths that KSF handles.

I have many Barkies. Their City Knife is usually in my pocket daily. The EDC is next on my list and will be in hand within next few weeks. You can not go wrong with any BRKT.

I have been paralyzed with indecision since I first posted this thread.

I keep trying to decide between the edge retention of the Essential, vs the toughness of the BRKT Necker 2 in CPM-3V.
The 3V Necker 2 is a little bit cheaper(when including scales in the purchase) than the Essential, and is lighter and tougher, and has a 3.5" blade instead of a 2.75" blade, so that's 3/4" extra blade.
However, the Essential maybe doesn't need to be quite as tough as 3V because the Essential is only 2.75" blade, and CPM-M4 is still plenty tough steel. Just not as tough as 3V.
The edge-holding of the CPM-M4 at 63-64HRC should be incredible, but it could be tough to sharpen if it ever needs it. But I tend to like that anyway, and could get the gear(and skilz) to keep it sharp.
On the other hand, the CPM-3V of the Necker 2 is tough and it has a thinner blade by a few hairs, and a longer blade by 3/4", and it isn't shabby at edge holding either, and it could probably sharpen up easier at 58HRC.
Both will fit in my pocket, and could carry EDC, and are both less than the legal 4" limit where I live, so they are both possibilities.

I am just having fits trying to decide between the CMP-M4 and the CPM-3V.
I don't know what to do.
Maybe I should buy both, but that's getting into the $300+ category to get both.

It's the battle of the Barkies!

Well... another thing I found about the Essential that I wasn't fond of is the smooth micarta handles. I had the black canvas micarta scales and they were pretty slick. I normally do blue/black G10 on my BRKTs and that's fine for me. My Little Creek and mini-Fox River gets lots of carry and use and I have no problem with them. But the weight of the Essential, combined with the very smooth and polished handles, just made it more difficult than I'm used to for me to handle easily and securely. I say that to mention that the 3V necker has scales available for it that should be a bit grippier than the smooth micarta on my Essential.

None of this may be a concern for you, but if you're having trouble deciding, I throw this experience out just for more "weight" one way or the other. I don't think you have to worry about the CPM M4 blade of the Essential being less tough than you need. It should do anything that any other small FB will do and come back for more. In my experience, CPM M4 has not been difficult to sharpen. I've had a couple of Benchmades and Spydercos with that steel and they were no more problem to sharpen than S30V or D2, probably a little easier in fact.

Someone has already mentioned the City Knife. If you haven't considered that one, you might want to think about it. CPM 154 is an excellent all-around EDC steel and the City Knife overall is a bit lighter and more comfortable for me to handle. I didn't like the pocket sheath that came with it, but KSF was happy to swap it out for one of the Pocono or Adirondack sheaths at N/C when they shipped it to me.

Last edited:
Thanks Dale.
I actually have considered the City Knife too. And you're right, it's a good one, with Loveless credentials behind it, in a nice steel.

The Essential really appeals to my visual preferences. I just like the way it looks, and I'm really wanting to try one of the super-steels.
The Necker isn't as pretty, but it has a good set of its own characteristics and the 3V is also in the super-steel category, IMO.
CPM-154 is very good too, but I think the other two are a bit higher up the super-steel ladder, in different ways.

I went and looked at those sheaths you recommended, and I like them. So, I'll probably get one of those, regardless of which knife I pick.

I tend to agree that the knives in this size will be plenty tough enough for the use, no matter which of those steels I pick.
I think I did this to myself by over-analyzing until my brain went into vapor-lock!
:^)

I know this is an old thread, but I'm considering the EDC as a small skinning knife. Any thoughts?

Back