Review Bark River Knives Teddy II

Well I seem to have a penchant for blades that are not incredibly popular. Since I did not see many reviews on this particular blade using Google, I figured I'd share my initial impressions of this blade and then give a use review as I hit the woods and use the knife.

As I've said in prior threads I have been streamlining my collection to only users and knives that I consider high quality production blades. I had an empty space in my last knife use category, which was "one knife option". I'm actually not much of an one option knife guy and am more of a bring a folding saw and a smaller blade to be more practical, but hey I also enjoy the hobby and like to challenge myself on weekend get away adventures. I wanted the blade to be carbon, just because I assumed I would be chopping with it and probably doing the dreaded battoning of wood here and there, and for some reason I still am more comfortable with carbon blades for those uses. I wanted it thick and robust, and a convex edge would be a plus (if it didn't come with one, I would have done it myself). It could not be too large to be practical for me to actually carry and walk around with. I also wanted a blade size of 6"-9" since I feel that would make it pretty good at most everything, while not being super great at 'x' but horrible at 'y'.

Ok, so now I had my search parameters, but it also had to look cool. I always wanted a real deal bowie style knife. After my image searches and whatnot, I came to the Teddy II as my next purchase. Here are the specs:

Overall Length: 13.375"
Blade Length: 8"
Cutting Edge Length: 7.5"
Blade Height: 1.625"
Blade Steel: A-2 @ 58-60RC
Blade Thickness: .250"
Weight: 17oz.

I am lucky in that I found one with the new Moran style handle in linen micarta. I prefer micarta over wood for this particular knife because I think it will make it stronger and more able to stand up to hard chopping, etc. It was a bonus that it was listed as green micarta, but actually is a nice brownish color. Kind of looks like wood. I got a good price with a military discount and 3-days later...BAM! I got me a Teddy II.

Comes with handsome and well made leather sheath. The fit is freaking tight!!!!!! This was the knife right out of the box.

72_C9956_F_7_B23_4_FFC_9_B2_C_843_BAFA63_E40.jpg

The knife is very good looking. I like the flow and lines of the handle and the blade. It feels extremely nice in hand (I have XL glove sized hands for reference) and has a good use balance. It was not quite shaving sharp out of the box, but with a strop and 5 minutes, I had it hair popping sharp. Really love Bark River's A2 steel.

5_DD72_BC2_37_F8_48_FE_A11_C_E24_CD36_AF858.jpg

F9_E0_B0_AA_1751_43_C3_B780_EA14_E519_BA05.jpg

28_DA4152_1_C3_B_41_C0_BAB3_8_FB63_C354322.jpg

89_F907_B2_5_E21_4593_B337_DD377244_ECB2.jpg

I will have this knife out in the woods this weekend hopefully and give it a nice days workout with chopping, splitting, etc. See how it does with heavy and light tasks. By feel, it seems like it will handle it with ease. Anyhow, just thought I would share a blade that I have not seen shared often.

Rigged up a dangler for this bad boy. It is too large to wear and sit down etc. I can see it being a big hindrance in actually wearing the blade outdoors. I used a belt loop that someone had made for me in the past. I used paracord instead of a d-ring because the sheath has a 3" wide top and the d-rings that could do that are stupid big and clunky. The snake knotted paracord is nice and tough, but still malleable which is good.

70_AC6295_AE59_46_A0_8_E8_F_D8746_D58618_F.jpg

It looks nice and that handle looks to be comfy as well. I like A2 also pretty good steel, is that a stick tang? I'm just curious as to if you start beating on it how it will fare or if that matters. Well have a safe journey and Thanks for posting it looks like a good knife and should perform for you.

It looks nice and that handle looks to be comfy as well. I like A2 also pretty good steel, is that a stick tang? I'm just curious as to if you start beating on it how it will fare or if that matters. Well have a safe journey and Thanks for posting it looks like a good knife and should perform for you.
Hey d762nato! It is a full stick tang. They call it a "full hidden tang". It is about 1" wide and .25" thick supposedly running the whole way through the handle and ending right before so it isn't exposed out of end. I feel that an 1"x.25" is pretty durable, especially fully encased in micarta (one of the reasons I chose micarta).

Going today bro! After church my boy and I are going to hit the woods and give this bad boy a run for its money and see what it has to offer!

I’ll make sure to take and post up pics. It feels so good in hand and has a really nice balance, I hope it performs well.

Definitely report back brother, I’m curious how it will perform. Love the blade shape on her. Looks just like my new DS8 so I’m kinda smitten with the design. I did see a picture of one that snapped from some batoning I think. I found it in a image search a few weeks back. So I’m hoping that was an anomaly. Maybe it was the Teddy 1 and they changed something to upgrade it.

It was a Teddy hunter that broke. But it looks like they had issues with some of their knives with a hilt that was having breaking issues.

Well gents, the good news is that the blade is beautiful in the woods:

84_FF0_F85_85_BC_4835_ACFE_C71_FBF2_F5_D7_E.jpg

The bad news is that mine must have a bad heat treat! I have warping on my edge after chopping some thin pine. Oh boy. Must be super soft steel from a bad heat treat. Literally cut through about 2 limbs that were no more than 3” in diameter and noticed this:

1_E6_C32_A9_5614_4_CFB_BCE2_8_A10_DC8_FB055.jpg

4_B9_D833_F_BEB3_4_B8_F_B800_6_C567606_EF36.jpg

I’ll contact Bark River and see what they say. Won’t be till late next week since I leave tomorrow AM for the best warrior competition. Wish me luck.

I'm sorry to hear about the edge. I've read other Bark River reviews where users report the same problem. It might be the heat treat, it might be ground too thin, or it might be both. Let us know what Bark River does.

Last edited:
I will definitely let you know what they say. I did email them last night with pictures.

Dang that's a shame maybe like you mentioned a bad heat treat. Hopefully Barkriver will fix you up.

Yeah we will have to see, but I’m sure they will make it right. I’ll keep y’all posted once I get a response from them.

I contacted them recently about some work I needed done on my Aurora. Be aware though, it took a month and a half to get a response. Maybe something came up and they were busy, they apologized that it took so long, but it may take a bit to hear from that

dbltap,
Hey hombre. I just finished my last physical challenge for best warrior and I’m exhausted. I did check my email and they responded telling me to send it in. I’ll do that this weekend. Updates to follow.

I won the PAARNG Best Warrior Competition NCOY!!! Bam boys. I did it. Now I go on to regionals in May. If you want to see any pics of me or the competition just go the Pennsylvania Army National Guard page on Facebook. I’m SGT Baker.

I will be mailing out the Teddy on Saturday.

Teddy was mailed Friday actually and I just got the e-mail from USPS that it was delivered. I will let you know when I hear an official response from BRK. I will give them the professional courtesy of 48 hours to render some sort of e-mail or phone call that they have my item. If they do not, I will initiate contact. *fingers crossed they make this right without struggle*

I think its ground too thin,I have picket vest bowie from them in 1084 and after i sharpened it few times it performs very well ,is easy to sharpen and holds edge really well.Heat treat is excellent.I have seen on YT that pple have problems with their knives but if you get good one the heat treat is really good.

Back