Bark River steel

Are all/most of the mislabeled issues a thing of the past or are they still putting out shady product? I'm just curious as I think some of their knives look nice, but so do others and that's usually what I go with, especially from the knifemaker's market on the forum. I know they're not as bad as survive knives, who I won't even buy second hand, but I'm curious if BRK has "cleaned up their act" or if it's still one I should avoid... because there are plenty of other knives to choose from of equal and better quality at similar or better price points.

I'm not entirely against a guy who makes good stuff being a twit, but he should certainly let someone else do the customer service side if he is rude.

Hello,
New here to the forum, long time lurker and enthusiast, but have a specific question in regards to bark river knives. Have heard rumors of possibly mislabeled steel from the company on a few of their products, resulting in consumers receiving products with inferior performance. however had some trouble finding many details. Have had my eye on the aurora 2 in 3v for a bit, and it seems that all the vendors are stocking them again. Anyone have any info on this subject, especially in regards to this model? Last thing i want to do is spring for a knife and wind up with a piece of steel that doesn't perform as it should.
Cheers

I have a knife in their 3V steel. It is amazing, I have batoned the hell out of this knife. Still shaving sharp.

DBK on youtube have also extensively tested BRKT's 3v, and it is one of, if not their favourite steels.

I have a knife in their 3V steel. It is amazing, I have batoned the hell out of this knife. Still shaving sharp.

DBK on youtube have also extensively tested BRKT's 3v, and it is one of, if not their favourite steels.

Whatfor5 on youtube does not care for BRKT's and has video to show why? So what. A youtuber has opinions like anyone else.

Kinda hard to agree with a youtuber(DBK) who believes that a polished handle no guard or ricasso knife(BRKT) makes a good knife for the field. I guess they have never gotten a knife wet or bloody.

Are all/most of the mislabeled issues a thing of the past or are they still putting out shady product? I'm just curious as I think some of their knives look nice, but so do others and that's usually what I go with, especially from the knifemaker's market on the forum. I know they're not as bad as survive knives, who I won't even buy second hand, but I'm curious if BRK has "cleaned up their act" or if it's still one I should avoid... because there are plenty of other knives to choose from of equal and better quality at similar or better price points.

I'm not entirely against a guy who makes good stuff being a twit, but he should certainly let someone else do the customer service side if he is rude.

Whether or not its a thing of the past, nobody but the people who work there can know that. Mixing up steel or improperly heat treating more than once pretty much makes the people who make the knives untrustworthy and a good reason to take your cash elsewhere.

The person behind the company has a long negative history so if they've "cleaned up their act" it certainly isn't their first time for redemption. I've had one interaction online, and "rude" isn't what I'd call it. It's beyond rude, highly aggressive and it had nothing to do with Bark River knives.

I'm so f...... tired of hearing of the incident of the mixed steels from BRKT, and yes I know the owner handled it the wrong way.. How many times do we need to go through this?

Is there any cases in the last years?

The 3V from BRKT is very very good, time tested and I really like some of their designs. Lots of handle materials to choose from and very nice handle shapes.

What I will say though is that they need a little do over in the grinding department on some of their knives..

I'm so f...... tired of hearing of the incident of the mixed steels from BRKT, and yes I know the owner handled it the wrong way.. How many times do we need to go through this?

Is there any cases in the last years?

It is not just one issue. It goes to the overall character when there are many negative things going on. If it was just one instance, then I would agree why bring it up. But when issues keep popping up it is kinda hard not to bring up all in context to show an overall character, no? I mean you want the buyer to beware don't you.

Yes there is plenty cases:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...th-brand-new-bark-river-gunny-cpm-3v.1584777/

https://bladeforums.com/threads/general-update.1436280/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bark-river-again.1463481/

It is not just one issue. It goes to the overall character when there are many negative things going on. If it was just one instance, then I would agree why bring it up. But when issues keep popping up it is kinda hard not to bring up all in context to show an overall character, no? I mean you want the buyer to beware don't you.

Yes there is plenty cases:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/updated-with-br’s-response-problems-with-brand-new-bark-river-gunny-cpm-3v.1584777/

https://bladeforums.com/threads/general-update.1436280/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bark-river-again.1463481/

Yeah, you got me there, but I do believe the big majority of the bathces coming from BRKT are correct steel and with all the attention that has been brought on to this I think they really need to be aware of any more of this happening. So it is logical to think they would make sure this is not gonna happen again, thus I think it is safe to buy a newer production knife from BRKT(maybe a bit hard to verify the prod. date..)

Gonna put some drops on my two 3v's from BRKT and see what happens overnight.

I would hope that what you presume would be correct, but I just cannot bring myself to believe it. I was exited about ordering a Forrest Bowie from an official retailer. It arrived with the tip broken off. There was no damage to the box and the knife was sealed in the original paper and sheath in plastic. So it was obvious that it was untouched by anyone else. I have not had any knife arrive with a broken tip. A2 is a fairly tough steel and should not have easily broken. This just happened a few months ago. So when do things start to get better?

Ohh, that was you.. That is really bad..

But I stand by my statement of how much beating my bushcrafter have taken and holding up great. I did have to hand regrind it a good deal(freehand on diamond plates as you can see :rolleyes:) and I did this prior to all the beating.

And there are a lot lot of people beeing happy with their BRKT's, I know not everybody like the DBK channel but they have tested the 3v of BRKT exstensivly through several years.

I just hope I see no rust tomorrow..

J02vPYH.jpg

They do make beautiful knives. If they could just be consistent and stand behind the product they would kill it.

Reactions: 353
Well this morning the water was dried away and there was no sign of rust or pitting. :cool::thumbsup:

uy3Hkky.jpg

Hi, All:
I have been using a Bark River Ultralite Bushcrafter in 3V. I have had no issues with it and am impressed with its cutting performance and edge retention for everyday backpacking tasks.

I don't hunt so have no experience with blood, water however will only make a micarta handle more grippy.
That's my take on it too. I hunt and my BK Drop Point Hunter has good grip when wet or bloody.I've got the Black Micarta scales on mine. Of course, I have been using a Schrade Sharpfinger for about 30 or so years prior to the BK and now that is one slippery some-ma-gun. It's a difference between day and night in my humble opinion.

Back