Barlow? Share all your Barlows here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My one and only.

14436793324_35aed9c7b8_b.jpg

I also own Hartshead and Bulldog Barlows. What is your assessment of the Bulldogs? Mine has a spey main blade and has a pull of about a 7.5-8.0. The pen has a pull of greater than 8.0. Quality seem to be good but not as fine as the GEC knives I own.

I thought that Case introduced the smooth Appaloosa bone in 1979 - I have one. I just assumed that they stopped making the saw cut bone in 1978. Here's my Case:
View attachment 1160676
You know more than I do. When I bought it at a show, the dealer said "about 1979" or in other words, 1978 would fit that circa characterization. I like this knife quite a bit. I have seen pictures in this thread of the exact Case barlow model I owned as a kid and I would love to find one at a sub-$100 price point in good condition. That barlow then was much like my little SAK now, always with me....

What is your assessment of the Bulldogs?

I just got these two last week, so not much time with them yet. But I love 'em!

FMt90Pt.jpg

u01HkII.jpg

ml74uv2.jpg

First off, I love the reverse frost etches, match strike nicks, and the worked bolsters. I like "bling." The green bone has beautifully rounded pins, gorgeous bone and jigging, and near perfect W&T: 6 pulls with buttery action. Plus a great blade combo, this one I'll carry. The stag is medium thick with massive character, and beautifully toasted. Firmer pulls on this one, about a 7, and not as buttery smooth as the green bone. I suspect it was not used much and just needs some work to smooth up. Maybe not as well made as GEC's best, but very close.

Last edited:
I just got these two last week, so not much time with them yet. But I love 'em!

FMt90Pt.jpg

u01HkII.jpg

7FQJv8T.jpg

First off, I love the reverse frost etches, match strike nicks, and the worked bolsters. I like "bling." The green bone has beautifully rounded pins, gorgeous bone and jigging, and near perfect W&T: 6 pulls with buttery action. Plus a great blade combo, this one I'll carry. The stag is medium thick with massive character, and beautifully toasted. Firmer pulls on this one, about a 7, and not as buttery smooth as the green bone. I suspect it was not used much and just needs some work to smooth up. Maybe not as well made as GEC's best, but very close.
They're beauts. My green jigged bone's pins aren't as nicely rounded as yours and main side bolster has a very slight gap where it meets the brass liner nearer to the scale. I gage my overall quality on a par with my older Case Barlow. Has great W&T/snap. Also, I love the feel and the way it looks much in the same way as you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back