1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Barlow? Share all your Barlows here.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by sunnyd, May 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    :eek: I Really like that!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

cigarrodog and I'mSoSharp like this.
  2. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Thanks very much Bill. Those are some fine and varied Barlows, my friend. I like that Bulldog Tobacco knife a lot - I understand those knives which were optimised for slicing off a chew from a plug of tobacco were often marketed and sold in the Southern US? Very interesting.

Fine Bulldogs Jeff, with a distinctively different style to them. That 'White Burley' etch is quite intriguing. I recall a conversation with @Jack Black a few years ago, where he explained the etymology of the Barlow name:

I wonder if Burley may be another old root word for Barlow?

That looks great! I like your choice of materials and integral bolster , which seem very much in keeping with the spirit of a knife meant for hard work. There are old bunny knives designed for the Australian market which have a very similar full bellied clip blade. Unfortunately, I can't show the only one I have a photo of, as it has a short bolster, so it's not technically a Barlow. You get bonus points from me for the milled, ambidextrous nail nick as well! I wish more knives had them!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    cigarrodog, TFBraden and I'mSoSharp like this.
  3. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    I really like it. Has a hard work blade look to it, and love the scales. I really like knives that have been used and develop their own character, well done.:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I'mSoSharp and Cambertree like this.
  4. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    It's wonderful. You actually made it? Better watch out, people will want you to do the same for them....me included. That is one great Barlow. Love the full bellied blade. The transition from bolster to scales looks great, blade is well centered, etc. I like it!

I'mSoSharp likes this.
  5. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    Thanks Chin. There is quite a story behind the Bulldog knives that were considered "1st Generation", "2nd Generation", etc. I own a 1st Generation Barlow made in Solingen, Germany at the Friedrich Olbertz factory. While Charlie Dorton owned the Bulldog Knife Company in the 80's, Dave Scott joined with him to produce knives with the S&D, OUR BEST, blade etch. They felt, and most agree, that they were some of the finest knives being imported from Germany. S&D Enterprises was the sole distributor of these knives and they were in limited quantities. The S&D OUR BEST blade etch is on several different patterns including the one I own. S&D Enterprises had an office in Maysville KY and some of the 1st generation Bulldog knives (my Barlow included) bear this blade etch also and special tang stamp. They are in Manchester Ohio now but it is believed they only produce display cases for knives. All of these Barlows are hand made.
    IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1163.JPG

Fodderwing, Jak3, Dschal and 4 others like this.
  6. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. Cambertree

Jun 29, 2014
    Great post Bill, thank you for that information.

Here’s a question for you Barlow experts, which I’ve wondered about before.

Does the Barlow long bolster typically have a second pin securing it to the liner scales, in addition to the pivot pin?

I only have a handful of Barlows, but an older Southern and Richardson bunny knife and my A. Wright Hartshead appear to just have the pivot pin. A GEC 77 and Lionsteel Roundhead have an extra bolster pin.

cigarrodog likes this.
  8. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    You are quite welcome Chin. Hope you had a great weekend.

[​IMG]

Cambertree likes this.
  9. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I love it.

cigarrodog and I'mSoSharp like this.
  10. dcpritch

dcpritch Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2018
    That is s good point, I stand corrected. Will have to show a real Barlow later this week. :mad:

11. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    IMG_4766.jpeg

12. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    @Cambertree : The " Burley " is a variety of Tobacco and really has nothing to do with BARLOW . Bulldog made a series of TOBACCO Barlows . This one has " Bright Leaf " on it .
    [​IMG]

Harry

Dschal, JustinR, solphilos and 6 others like this.
  13. Cambertree

Jun 29, 2014
    Thanks Bill, I had a great weekend - I hope you did too. :)

Ah, thanks for the clarification Harry. I had been puzzling over that one. :thumbsup:

Here’s an old Southern and Richardson barlow bunny knife I found at a place out in the country recently.

They were a Sheffield firm who exported to the Australian market, and used the ‘Nest Knife’ trade mark.

7AD1EAD7-242E-4E87-A317-45D342DF5C18.jpeg 0ABA6294-B3F3-4B83-9BA5-7B3E32459C28.jpeg

Unfortunately, some oaf has vandalised the blades with a Dremel.:mad::eek::(

But you can still see the cool blade stamp.

57EE039A-78D4-479A-A458-721E7F2837D0.jpeg 2AF883E4-7894-4D5A-A13E-503DE0324AE5.jpeg

Dschal, Fodderwing, rockman0 and 7 others like this.
  14. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    Nice German Bulldog. Blades are "Bluesteel". I'de like to see a picture of the backspring side (spine) of your knife at the bolsters. For my own reference on construction quality.

15. addylo

addylo

Oct 28, 2009
    I might have a couple.

[​IMG]

Dschal, Fodderwing, 315 and 7 others like this.
  16. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    No BarberShop Quartet has ever made sweeter music than this BarlowShop Sextet. :D

[​IMG]

redsparrow, TFBraden, Dschal and 9 others like this.
  17. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    That’s a beautiful Barlow. Well done. I also like the extended belly of the blade.

TFBraden and I'mSoSharp like this.
  18. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, Dschal, Cambertree and 5 others like this.
  19. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

redsparrow, GE Jr, TFBraden and 6 others like this.
  20. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

redsparrow, GE Jr, TFBraden and 4 others like this.