• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

SOLD - Barong Seax - 5/32" 1084

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is one I made for myself, as an R&D piece. I am very happy with how it has performed. With this tool I can shape the woods to my whim. I have used it to clear limbs and bush in the trails, baton, and I have even used it to cut a fallen log in half, a foot in diameter!

I purposely pushed this blade to what I thought could be its breaking point. It was ground very thin behind the edge, .020", about what you can expect on a factory folding knife from Spyderco. And I chopped with it. Hard. Into hard wood. I simply could not make this knife break, even at that level. I did manage to roll the edge, but was able to fix it in the field on the first test, but on the second test I went even harder. But I still could not break it. This time the rolls needed to be fixed in the shop, though.

But the knife was too thin for a heavy chopper anyway. Don't get me wrong, it sailed through everything but heavy hard logs with ease, and required no effort. But to make it more durable for heavy chopping, I reground the edge so that it is a more reasonable chopper thickness, getting thicker towards the tip. It is still .020" at the heel of the blade, to allow for fine carving.

Now I am ready to make the next iteration of the design, and this R&D piece is ready to move on to a new home. I have not cleaned it up, so it has a slight patina, and a couple little marks in the blade. But other than that it is ready to work, and work hard. Given it's state and previous work, I am offering it at a reduced price. These brand new are quite a bit more.

Specs:

Steel: 1084
Hardness: Heat treated for RC 58-59
Stock Thickness: 5/32"

Overall Length: 24"
Cutting Edge: 16"

Geometry: Full height convex, .020" behind the edge at the heel, up to .043" at the tip

Weight: 27.5 oz

Handle: Black canvas Micarta, brass pins and tubes

Sheath: Black Boltaron

Asking: SOLD

Payment is via PayPal G&S (I will provide the email address in private messaging) and includes expedited shipping with full tracking and insurance.

First "I'll take it" gets priority. Upon payment, please also message me your shipping address.

Thank you for looking!

IMG_8129.JPG
IMG_8130.JPG
IMG_8131.JPG
IMG_8132.JPG
IMG_8133.JPG
IMG_8134.JPG
IMG_8135.JPG
IMG_8137.JPG

Last edited:
This is one I made for myself, as an R&D piece. I am very happy with how it has performed. With this tool I can shape the woods to my whim. I have used it to clear limbs and bush in the trails, baton, and I have even used it to cut a fallen log in half, a foot in diameter!

I purposely pushed this blade to what I thought could be its breaking point. It was ground very thin behind the edge, .020", about what you can expect on a factory folding knife from Spyderco. And I chopped with it. Hard. Into hard wood. I simply could not make this knife break, even at that level. I did manage to roll the edge, but was able to fix it in the field on the first test, but on the second test I went even harder. But I still could not break it. This time the rolls needed to be fixed in the shop, though.

But the knife was too thin for a heavy chopper anyway. Don't get me wrong, it sailed through everything but heavy hard logs with ease, and required no effort. But to make it more durable for heavy chopping, I reground the edge so that it is a more reasonable chopper thickness, getting thicker towards the tip. It is still .020" at the heel of the blade, to allow for fine carving.

Now I am ready to make the next iteration of the design, and this R&D piece is ready to move on to a new home. I have not cleaned it up, so it has a slight patina, and a couple little marks in the blade. But other than that it is ready to work, and work hard. Given it's state and previous work, I am offering it at a reduced price. These brand new are quite a bit more.

Specs:

Steel: 1084
Hardness: Heat treated for RC 58-59
Stock Thickness: 5/32"

Overall Length: 24"
Cutting Edge: 16"

Geometry: Full height convex, .020" behind the edge at the heel, up to .043" at the tip

Weight: 27.5 oz

Handle: Black canvas Micarta, brass pins and tubes

Sheath: Black Boltaron

Asking: $160

Payment is via PayPal G&S (I will provide the email address in private messaging) and includes expedited shipping with full tracking and insurance.

First "I'll take it" gets priority. Upon payment, please also message me your shipping address.

Thank you for looking!

View attachment 1421550
View attachment 1421551
View attachment 1421552
View attachment 1421553
View attachment 1421554
View attachment 1421555
View attachment 1421556
View attachment 1421557

I had the Seax you made for me out this week. It is a beast. Excellent for cutting vines, small brush and palm fronds. Haven't put mine through the torture test and probably won't. It works very well for my purposes and re-sharpens to a VERY FINE edge with little effort. I clean and oil after use, very nice blade.

Thanks for the endorsement! This one is nearly a carbon copy of the one you have, as you know.

I have one your of chopper, sorry no pics but it’s getting a workout in our plantation in Camiguin Is., Northern Mindanao. David makes one of the best knives in the forum group.

You do? Cool! Did you get it from me or from someone else? I don't remember your username, which is why I am asking. I'd love to who you are, and which knife you have, if I may have the honor? Feel free to shoot me an email if you don't mind.

Thank you for the kind words, and since this is your first post, at least under this username, welcome to the forum! :D

You do? Cool! Did you get it from me or from someone else? I don't remember your username, which is why I am asking. I'd love to who you are, and which knife you have, if I may have the honor? Feel free to shoot me an email if you don't mind.

Thank you for the kind words, and since this is your first post, at least under this username, welcome to the forum! :D
Sama as MChief

Aha, well thank you again for the endorsement!

It is yours M B! Thank you!

Back