Review Baryonyx Manticore - Initial Impressions

Any chance the Manticore material can be put onto a emery cloth type paper? I'd really like to have a very abrasive but flexible paper for reprofiling convex edges.

Any chance the Manticore material can be put onto a emery cloth type paper? I'd really like to have a very abrasive but flexible paper for reprofiling convex edges.

No, it's not possible. It's a bonded abrasive, and behaves the way it does because of qualities unique to its format. Coated abrasives behave differently, and it would not be possible to get the same performance qualities in a coated abrasive. Convex edges can be maintained on rigid stones, though.

Could you package you stones in a tri hone

You mean one of the Norton-style rotating systems? That's not something we're able to offer at this time, though in the future we could theoretically make replacement stones that fit the system.

You mean one of the Norton-style rotating systems? That's not something we're able to offer at this time, though in the future we could theoretically make replacement stones that fit the system.

I am thinking in the future. I have two kids that will need sharpening setups when they move out in a few years

Binder shrinks during firing but the grains don't, which makes for a difference in shrink rate between the sides. If the jump is too big the stones will pull themselves apart when fired, which was an issue we ran into when developing the Arctic Fox dual grit pucks originally, and why we can't make them in bench stone sizes with a dual grit.
would it be economically viable to make the two stones separately and glue them toe each other or perhaps some sort of center material in order to avoid this expansion issue or would this not be durable enough/have other problems?

would it be economically viable to make the two stones separately and glue them toe each other or perhaps some sort of center material in order to avoid this expansion issue or would this not be durable enough/have other problems?

It's possible to do that but it creates a barrier between the sides so it's comparatively a little more of a chore to saturate the stone before use, and the adhesive in stones made that way has been known to eventually fail vs. being vitrified together. This is usually due to cheap adhesives being used, but nevertheless it's something that just doesn't happen to stones that are vitrified together.

I use water with my personal one. It retains water decently for something as coarse as it is, and I give it a quick rinse periodically as swarf builds up on the stone, and that's enough to keep it wet once it's been saturated. It'll cut a lot faster than the American Mutt, but it definitely leaves a more visually coarse finish. It's also not as dependent on high pressure to shed grit as the American Mutt is, but it does still hold together well even when you bear down on it hard. :)

What's your stone/grit progression when you start with a Manticore?

What's your stone/grit progression when you start with a Manticore?

Completely context-dependent. The particular tool and the kind of edge I intend to put on it as well as what means I have available to me will affect what I follow it with and what techniques will be used to do so.

Back