BAS (British Army Service) Review

BAS by Kumar
Length 15.75"
Weight 23 oz
Spine width 7/16"
Satisal wood handle

I asked Yangdu for a small knife that is very strong and she sold this to me for such a good deal I don't even want to mention how much. She considered it a blem because the sheath got a little messed up from tape, probably during shipping from Nepal. The knife is perfect. It came razor sharp. I'm happy it has a wood handle. Satisal wood is my favorite. This knife is very alive in my hand. I have been using it to cut small branches and brush recently. I tested it out on an 8.5" thick tree today. Most of the branches had fallen down in a storm and the whole tree needed to come down.

Photo of the knife in hand next to the tree for size comparison.

Photo to show you how deep this knife cuts.

The blade cuts very deep but does not get stuck in the wood because it has a big wide convex edge like an Ang Khola .

Here is the tree after about 20 chops.

Picture from a different angle. Look how thick that spine is. 7/16"

Then I went after the other side.

It didn't take long and it was down.

My kids joined the fun with their pretend knives. I left plenty of height on the stump so I can use it as a fleshing post for tanning deer hides.

Cutting this branch was about like cutting another small tree.

But not too big a job for the BAS. I tried to get a picture of the edge but the photos were too blurry. Even after a few glancing strikes the edge held up perfectly. After a little over an hour the tree was down, all the branches were cut up and piled in my back yard.

Then we had a little snack in honor of the tree. The BAS was still sharp enough to cut fruit but it is not the best thing to cut apples with. I ended up using the karda.

I gave her an oil bath and now she gets the rest of the day off.

I feel like this knife can do it all. It is not the lightest and fastest knife and may not be the best choice for tiny VUK jobs, like cutting weeds or apples, but it can. It is not the biggest and baddest heavy duty knife and may not be the best knife for AK jobs, like cutting down a tree, but it can do that too. It is right the middle of the khukuri spectrum. Best of both worlds. This is a great knife and it will most likely do whatever you ask of it.

Last edited:
Nice! Looks like it was quite a bit of fun. Bark looks like a fruit wood tree, if so, it makes wonderful carving wood if you are careful (fruit wood likes to split) and even better, let some branches cure for a year or two and use them for BBQ. Apple or cherry smoked chicken or ribs is a real treat, particularly with a pepper or smoked paprika based dry rub and a touch of garlic.

Hey Eric thanks for sharing. The BAS is by far one of my favorite. It’s perfect as a Daily Carry a backpack knife. It was my 2nd or 3rd Knife Ms Yangdu suggested I purchase as I inquired “what would you suggest”? (Chiruwa Ang Khola by Purna was my very first purchase)!
I suggest every collection have at least 1 of these!
If I had 1 choice with the “hands on” experience I have now.....
the BAS, hands down!

Last edited:
Great post brother, the BAS is a great khuk in all aspects, can pretty much do it all as said. I always enjoy your reviews. I have an older one made by Sher the tiger and torn between using it or just having a shelf queen. After your review using it is making more sense lol. Great review man.

Back