Bastogne Walnut

I wanted to start a thread about this wood I stumbled on a while back that is relatively unknown and does not get the attention it quite deserves. Its qualities and beauty in my eyes lend to an exceptional knife handle.

Excerpt from the internet

(Bastogne Walnut, also called Paradox, is a rare hybrid tree resulting from a cross between an English Walnut and a Black Walnut species. Bastogne Walnut is a favorite for large caliber rifles because of its closed pores and hardness. It can take hard recoil. The wood can have very beautiful color and high fiddleback, and is either very beautiful, or simply ugly.

Bastogne Walnut, the rarest of all walnut woods, is a natural cross between California English Walnut and California Claro. Bastogne trees grow very large and the wood is always denser than the two parent trees. Since the trees are not cultivated and only grow naturally, they are very rare. Bastogne trees are sterile and can not reproduce. They can not be reproduced in a lab as the only stock available to work with is sterile as well. Naturally occuring trees are the only source. The color contrast is that of the brilliant colors of Claro and the dark streaks of English.)

Lets see what other information we can dig up about this rare wood! I have done a little but not much out there I know you guys here on the forum are quite handy with that!

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool have you used this on any handles yet? I would love to see how they came out!

I have! @Choppaman has a few.

And there is the Lil Ferox I just completed and sold on my Website has some.

https://ospreyknifeandtool.com/shop?olsPage=products/lil-ferox-lightning-strike-carbon-fiber-with-heirloom-grade-bastogne-walnut

Also there are a handful knives available with Bastogne Walnut at my newest dealer RansomWildernessCO.

https://ransomwildernessco.com/product-category/handmade-knives/

Last edited:
Ulterior motives aside, I am quite smitten with it.

Apocryphiliac Apocryphiliac you are correct, it seems to vary from somewhat bland to highly figured. Like curly Koa without the warmer tones for a nice streaky piece of Bastogne Walnut.

from the 'net
af17243-1333-7-b1e9b90c.jpg

Let's see some walnut on actual OKT knives

For some reason this one has been sitting in my store and it is driving me mad. The walnut Raptor too is exceptional. I'll have to dig through pics.

The darker tones of the walnut are what strike me with enough color for some holographic depth. There were some pretty chatoyant handles on that batch of knives that Chris sent me

47576266472_56b21924c7_c.jpg

Back