Batch of .138 AEBL

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
I’m placing an order for sheets of .138 thick AEBL. I’m wanting to get an idea on how much to get. I have received quite a few AEBL requests from you guys so I thought I would get some in-stock. This will be for a future batch like we just did with 15n20.

Thanks guys - JT

Here is the link where you can sign up for getting into this batch run. No prices as of yet, but once I get the cost figured out I will let everyone know and you can decide if you still want to move forward.

https://www.jarodtodd.com/store/CNC-Plasma-Cutting-Batch-p128895368

Last edited:
how much do you need to order to get volume price discounts? : ) ... are they significant?
if not, then it really doesn't matter outside of matching up shipping costs, they ding you a lot for packages over 50 lbs or 60 lbs? I forget where that cutoff is

Honestly there is not much of a price difference between ordering a low volume quantity from the mill and a supplier like AKS. AKS has cheeper shipping because thy ship flat rate.

I’m just wanting to get an idea if I need to order 2 sheets or 10. So if this is somthing your interested in let me know.

Where the savings is found is in processing all the knives in one batch for you guys.

much of that depends on if you'll offer the same cnc cutting & ht options like with your 15n20? - that really is a good deal/setup you have for that...
what would the max size be? is 12" or 23.5" your max blade length for cnc jobs + ht?

Yes it will be a material+cuting+heat-treat+surface-grind kind of deal. Won’t be as cheep as the 15n20 as that cut a ton faster and I just tossed that material in. technically I can cut up to like 63” long and heat treat around a max of 35” and temper 55” and surface grind a max of 24”. But I will have to figure out how to do material becaus some knives use more material then others. But I think batching it up like this will benefit both all you guys as well as me. In these large batches I don’t worry about programming and a set up fee. Also material cost ends up being lower because I can nest a full sheet and don’t have as much waste cost to deal with.

But to answer your question the sheets will be 11.5” x 23.5” so that’s the limiting factor for size. Bigger blades will have a higher material cost but that’s not to difacult to to calculate. I’m kicking around a few options to easily devide up the material.

Last edited:
That's a little thicker than I was wanting, had an interest in AEB-L for kitchen knives, I assumed it would be about the same thickness as the 15N20 you did. I guess I'll have to wait. Still fully in support of this added service Jarod. Thank you VERY much for offering it.

I take this back, I believe I will get a couple of hunters and possibly a usuba blank. I'll see if my son wants anything as well.

Last edited:
I’d be in for a couple of fighters, same as previous order, and possibly a chef’s knife.

That's a little thicker than I was wanting, had an interest in AEB-L for kitchen knives, I assumed it would be about the same thickness as the 15N20 you did. I guess I'll have to wait. Still fully in support of this added service Jarod. Thank you VERY much for offering it.
There is no reasion I can’t do a thin batch to.

I suppose it's no issue if you don't want these heat treated? I stamp in my maker's mark and also like to have a few options for handle fasteners, so i'd prefer to drill those holes at a later time.

id be in for 6-10 blades (8-1/2" blade length) nested together similar to what you just did for me

I suppose it's no issue if you don't want these heat treated? I stamp in my maker's mark and also like to have a few options for handle fasteners, so i'd prefer to drill those holes at a later time.
Nope, thy don’t have to be heat treated at this time.

I will have to look at this option. I have been thinking of sending you some templates and having a batch of kitchen knives cut out. I was thinking of something around .08 to .09, but may look at this thicker stock, too. Since I grind post-HT on this type blade, your full package is a real advantage.
I'll get with you once the new shop is up and running.

Yeah man. I have some prototypes I'd like to try out and this is way simpler than to set it up here.

Well it looks like we will be ordering thin stock as well. Seams like .090 is popular size that you guys want.

0.09" and 0.138" aeb-l :thumbsup:

great options ;) I may need to do a few of each

...if you were contemplating doing a test machete, around 18" (or 23" overall) - which would you do?... I think the only right answer is both, and see how they respond to being used hard

and yes, 15n20 at 0.09" is also a good idea... since you have it, but I've always wanted an aeb-l machete and this might be the only way :thumbsup:
could you temper them down to the mid 50's or whatever is viable?

I'll be in for two 0.138 hunters and and two .09 chefs knives. I'll send a 1-1 .jpg file when I sort out profiles.

Might there be some 3/16 AEB-L in the future??

dms

Back