Batch of .138 AEBL

Looks like AKS only has .082 and .100 but .100 might be just right if your wanting .090. That gives me .005 per side for surface grinding. The .082 and .100 is practically the same price within a few bucks.

What I’m going to do is start gathering your drawings and quantities. This will give me a total number of sheets to order. I’m thinking of waving the cut fee and making it simple to calculate material. Price would be per square inch. But it would be per square of the max blade width times blade length. This will build in a material cushion that comes from nesting the blades and cover cutting costs. But we will see once I get some time to crunch the numbers.

Close enough on thickness. Need to brush up on cad programs. You have lots of customers... though can you tell me if the dxf file i sent you previously worked? It was buggy on my end.

JT - you are making it WAY to easy on us on this end to play with designs. Great business model

I would definitely be in for 6-8 13 inch chef knives. I do most my designs in photoshop but could see if I have someone to transfer them into CAD if that’s the only format you’re accepting. .1 would work well for me.

I'm emailed you my drawing in pdf and dxf. I'm not sure how accurate the dxf is. I just exported it from Inkscape and the OAL should be around 7.55". I'm interested in getting 6 or 10 of those in the .138.

JT I would be interested in one each of the knives you just did for me. Let me know what the cost will be before you set them up. Thanks

wait.... i've been away for a while. so you're telling me you'll profile... HT AND surface grind? im planning on doing a small run of bushcrafters in 1/8 (ish) AEB-L and since I can grind these post HT i think i'm in

Ill hold off until you can do the thicker sheet size.

JT - can you please clarify what you are looking for in a DXF file? (sorry if this is an ignorant question...). My understanding is that DXF files are inherently 3-D object files ... but you really only need a profile. Fusion 360 is relatively intuitive for me ... but it also inherently generates that 3D object file in the DXF format. Can you please clarify your need?

its just a 2d cad file ...its about the oldest file format. thats what the cnc controller can read...just about all cad programs can be saved as a dxf file. If you have a 3d object in a CAD program you will probably have to choose what "plane" you want to turn into a dxf file.

A DXF file should just be a 2d stright down view file. It’s a very old file format. What makes it so useful is the file has dimensions built into it. If you can’t output a DXF or are having issues then just send me the raw file not a picture or jpeg. But the actual save file from fusion 360, photoshop, solidworks, Inkscape, solidworks. I have all thoes programs and can export your file. If you still don’t have that kind of file then just send me a jpeg and I will trace around it. I’m working on getting the new batch page up for the AEBL and you can submit your files there and thy are attached to your quantity request.

Last edited:
Thanks. My son (senior, ME) insists dxf files are 2d, but there are multiple references to 3d dxf files associated with fusion hence my confusion .. (Bear with me, im just a lowly ChemE .. dont do cad). Anyway, i think i have it now. I will try submitting. Just for surity.. this is for th 0.09 AEBL, so hopefully will have time for me to get it right. You are doing so much .. want to save you some fidgeting!

(Aside: exported dxf from solid models, but Fusion included construction lines i used to set my dimensions ... would have resulted in bisecting my blade. Bad. I think i will stay away from solid models for these purposes...

The order link is now posted on the first post.

Once I get back home I will go through all the files that where emailed to me. If you have questions about your file then email it to me befor placing your order. I will look it over and if it’s good I will let you know that you can place your order.

Jarod, where are you at with this? I placed an order a week ago and I'm just curious, not in a hurry

Jarod, where are you at with this? I placed an order a week ago and I'm just curious, not in a hurry
this has not even started yet. This post was just to round up people interested in joining this batch. This weekend im going to start collecting up the files and seeing where we are with material needed. thine i will work up a price.

The 15n20 batch will ship on Monday and i'm planning on jumping right into this aebl batch. So if your wanting in now is the time to get in.

this has not even started yet. This post was just to round up people interested in joining this batch. This weekend im going to start collecting up the files and seeing where we are with material needed. thine i will work up a price.

That's perfect Jarod thanks. I placed an order for 4 hunters and a nakiri, let me know if you see any issues with them. I did put a note on them for you to add holes to the handles as I am just learning inkscape and wasn't sure how to get them drawn to scale correctly.

JT - will this first batch be strictly the 0.138 thickness, or are you going to be doing the thinner material 0.09 at the same time? (So we need to get those orders in now as well?)

Going to be doing both at the same time. The .100 and .138

But remember surface grinding removes around .005 per side. So plan ahead if your wanting that service done.

Understood, and I do want the thinner. I will submit jpeg images for you to trace, since so far I have appeared to failed to get properly scaled DXF files to you :(. Looking forward to this - thank you!!!

Back