Batoning

I went for an overnight kayak trip on one of the larger lakes in the north east this past weekend. I brought my deer creek with me, a sawvivor, and a brkt golok. I found myself using the deer creek the most. One thing I have come to realize is that it is a ton of work to process firewood, especially when the diameter of the stuff you are splitting is much bigger than your wrist. I am finding the most effective way for me is to go for smaller stuff, cut it into mabe 2 foot lengths and split that up. Which is why a blade like the deer creek works do well for me. It seems when I go for bigger stuff, I'm killing myself on the saw, then having to beat the hell out of it with the Batton . I kinda think the calorie output vs wood produced isn't as effective. Just what I have noticed.

thanks for the post DC. what lake were you on? can i ask?

Winnipesauki , found an island with nothing built on it and no no trespassing signs. I think the gps said we did around 12-13 miles

i am near lake champlain. didn't know if you were closeby.

with that said...i've had some good days on lake winnipesauki. beautiful lake. haven't been there in years. will need to remedy that. thanks for sharing.

I go to Champlain once a year for a dive weekend, my buddy and I go up and dive the wooden wrecks, oj walker, general butler, horse ferry ect. LOVE it up there

yeah. it's pretty nice. i grew up on the marsh on the north shore of Mass. i've been up here for 15 years now. folks are pretty mellow in VT, which actually took me a little getting used to. i just couldn't figure out why folks were so nice. ;) but, now i am like the bumper sticker...I LUVERMONT. i love to ski, and the lake is an outstanding fishery.

next time you're up, (if'n ya want) hit me up...and we'll grab a pint.

Beautiful lake, sound like a great trip! I agree w/ you about firewood, smaller is better, unless you are bringing an axe!

Back