Battle Grade... Minus The Dress?!?!?!?!!!

That looks amazing... When you say stripped does that imply it's just been cleaned and polished ? I have a chopweiler also but it's not been cleaned up like that
7315-D411-8063-4-C33-B559-A3-F7-EE12-B709.jpg

Not BG, but any nekkid SR101 counts, right? đź‘Ť

The Chopweiler was stripped when I got it, but still had decarb on the ricasso and around the tang. Cleaned it all up this morning (320grit sandpaper and abrasive buff dremel attachment). Looks like a new knafe!!

That looks amazing... When you say stripped does that imply it's just been cleaned and polished ? I have a chopweiler also but it's not been cleaned up like that
Stripped means that the original coating was removed.

Ok... I'm new here, thanks for that... I have a chopweiler but it doesn't have any coating on it, doesn't look like it ever did🤷🏼‍♂️ do they all come coated when new ?
Welcome aboard. Busse come in coated and uncoated. The uncoated versions are usually more expensive.

Ok I gotcha...I can see the tooling marks and such on my blade, but definitely a carbon of sort blade that's showing patina, I had to ask for help to identify the knife as it was just given to me...he said I needed a busse, but mine has a faint hard to see oval with swamp rat in it... Have to have the light just right to even see it honestly 🤷🏼‍♂️ but I sure do love it...thing is a beast and I love the patina on it.

You'll see a tooling marks and "gremlins" on the stripped blades. They usually don't grind out all the imperfections if the blades are going to be coated. The Busse blades that are finished are usually labeled as Competition Finish and are more expensive.

Just a warning. If you start buying Busse knives, you're going to end up going down an expensive rabbit hole.

You'll see a tooling marks and "gremlins" on the stripped blades. They usually don't grind out all the imperfections if the blades are going to be coated. The Busse blades that are finished are usually labeled as Competition Finish and are more expensive.

Just a warning. If you start buying Busse knives, you're going to end up going down an expensive rabbit hole.

Yeah I see they are quite expensive... I was always a cheap knife kinda guy but my buddy started me down a path of only quality blades...he gifted me several very nice knives and now I'm finding myself buying quality knives...I am a welder and love quality but I got alot to learn about knives

Yeah I see they are quite expensive... I was always a cheap knife kinda guy but my buddy started me down a path of only quality blades...he gifted me several very nice knives and now I'm finding myself buying quality knives...I am a welder and love quality but I got alot to learn about knives

Last edited:

Sweet blade!!! Would assume it’s a stripper like mine, not sure the Chopweiler was ever offered in an uncoated finsh.

Mine wasn’t too far off the way yours looked before I put in some elbow grease to purdy her up. :thumbsup:

The Ratmandu it’s pictured with above is a Limited Edition (RMD LE) that came with a satin factory finish.
What's it do for the value ? I know alot of collectibles are more valued without cleaning and such... Is it the same with knives?

What's it do for the value ? I know alot of collectibles are more valued without cleaning and such... Is it the same with knives?

As a head’s up, Bladeforums requires a paid membership to sell or ask about specific knife values.

Generally speaking though, Busse group knives in brand new, unused condition have the highest resale value, whether coated or in an uncoated factory finish. “Users” generally sell at a relative discount to unused blades, but the value of a given used blade would still depend on a variety of factors such as the age and desireability of the model, overall condition, whether it has been sharpened or modified, etc...

As a head’s up, Bladeforums requires a paid membership to sell or ask about specific knife values.

Generally speaking though, Busse group knives in brand new, unused condition have the highest resale value, whether coated or in an uncoated factory finish. “Users” generally sell at a relative discount to unused blades, but the value of a given used blade would still depend on a variety of factors such as the age and desireability of the model, overall condition, whether it has been sharpened or modified, etc...

I did read the rules about sales and values, but thank you for looking out... I was just more interested in a general rule of thumb on knives than a value for mine. Thank you for the information🙏

For canvas handles I’ve found Odie’s oil works great , brings out color and darkens. Food safe too.

Taking the plunge and ordering some Odie's, have been looking for the right oil for knife handles for a while and this seems to be the best suited I can find. Pricey but luckily I've got some furniture that needs a finish so I'll be able to finish off the jar rather than let it harden in waste away over the next year.

Back