Battle Grade MOAB - This has to happen

461b3e1b2de0d26515e62ce70610c328ae69ae9f.jpg

Hate to be contrarian, OK, I really don't, but I also don't generally enjoy being a party pooper so I'll apologize in advance if I crumple any toes here... :(

TL DR Summary

No thanks, too much 'knife' for this man... sorry.

I've owned a MOAB, scored it at Knob Creek years ago. It was a beauty, desert Camo coating w/ handshaped Tan Canvas Micarta. That being said, it was the knife equivalent of a .50 AE Desert Eagle pistol or S&W 500 Magnum to me personally. While ridiculously impressive, no doubt, I found it to be too much of a good thing when adding it all up. I mean, to put it in perspective, it's truly the only knife I've owned where the term 'boat anchor' came to mind frequently whenever I'd pick it up and admire it. I mean I'd take a moment and just think of what a good boat anchor it would be in a pinch LOL, not that I'd ever try this or recommend.

Something I, however, would like to see is something more along the lines of a Battle Grade MOAB-M or Mini/Maddie (however you take the Team Gemini-M nomenclature). Basically, the what the TG-M is to the original Team Gemini. I think if you took the Nano Fusion handle from the Forsaken Steel Heart and married it something like the Eraticator blade (add an inch or two for good measure, delete the recurve), in combination with a stock thickness of no more than say .22-.25", then you'd have something which for me would be something that I'd actually consider for serious applications. I think the Forsaken Battle Mistress is a good example of what I think is more reasonable design envelope.

In it's current form, however, the MOAB design would be purely relegated to the status of being a toy (reads : purely for it's chopping fun). The one I owned was probably .350-.400" thick, which combined with the 14" blade I believe put it somewhere around 2.5-3 lbs or so. To my thinking, you no longer have a 'knife' once you surpass 2 pounds in weight. Sure, you CAN use it for 'knife things', but I'd really hate to HAVE TO use it for 'knife things' other than chopping hardwoods only. I mean, in other words, how many Desert Eagles or 500 Magnum's do you think actually get used for serious business that really benefits from all the extra horsepower? I mean, sure I'd take the .500 S&W if I was after a Cape buffalo or something. Then it makes sense for sure.

Last edited:
The MOAB might be my favorite big bowie that I've ever held. I'd add a BG version in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact give me one sr101 and one sr77.

Hate to be contrarian, OK, I really don't, but I also don't generally enjoy being a party pooper so I'll apologize in advance if I crumple any toes here... :(

TL DR Summary

No thanks, too much 'knife' for this man... sorry.

I've owned a MOAB, scored it at Knob Creek years ago. It was a beauty, desert Camo coating w/ handshaped Tan Canvas Micarta. That being said, it was the knife equivalent of a .50 AE Desert Eagle pistol or S&W 500 Magnum to me personally. While ridiculously impressive, no doubt, I found it to be too much of a good thing when adding it all up. I mean, to put it in perspective, it's truly the only knife I've owned where the term 'boat anchor' came to mind frequently whenever I'd pick it up and admire it. I mean I'd take a moment and just think of what a good boat anchor it would be in a pinch LOL, not that I'd ever try this or recommend.

Something I, however, would like to see is something more along the lines of a Battle Grade MOAB-M or Mini/Maddie (however you take the Team Gemini-M nomenclature). Basically, the what the TG-M is to the original Team Gemini. I think if you took the Nano Fusion handle from the Forsaken Steel Heart and married it something like the Eraticator blade (add an inch or two for good measure, delete the recurve), in combination with a stock thickness of no more than say .22-.25", then you'd have something which for me would be something that I'd actually consider for serious applications. I think the Forsaken Battle Mistress is a good example of what I think is more reasonable design envelope.

In it's current form, however, the MOAB design would be purely relegated to the status of being a toy (reads : purely for it's chopping fun). The one I owned was probably .350-.400" thick, which combined with the 14" blade I believe put it somewhere around 2.5-3 lbs or so. To my thinking, you no longer have a 'knife' once you surpass 2 pounds in weight. Sure, you CAN use it for 'knife things', but I'd really hate to HAVE TO use it for 'knife things' other than chopping hardwoods only. I mean, in other words, how many Desert Eagles or 500 Magnum's do you think actually get used for serious business that really benefits from all the extra horsepower? I mean, sure I'd take the .500 S&W if I was after a Cape buffalo or something. Then it makes sense for sure.
Yeah, I can get behind that. A slimmed down (but just as long) version, made of M-INFI Or SR-101 at .20"-0.25" thinness is the tricket for me. A lighter/faster chopper that I can actually carry and use... Like if Mother went on a keto diet and crossfitted all day for a few months. She came back leaner and sexier.... And more powerful! (Think upscaled JH10)

2013-07-18-Image1.jpg

Yeah, I can get behind that. A slimmed down (but just as long) version, made of M-INFI Or SR-101 at .20"-0.25" thinness is the tricket for me. A lighter/faster chopper that I can actually carry and use... Like if Mother went on a keto diet and crossfitted all day for a few months. She came back leaner and sexier.... And more powerful! (Think upscaled JH10)

2013-07-18-Image1.jpg

Any “Mother Of All” has to be thick.
It just has to.
What you’re thinking of?
That’s called a Mistress.
;)

so the stuff that sticks out of my pants like a hand trying to get to the bottom of a pringles can would be..... wait for it....

FLOAB

Back