Battle Pappy ***Newed PICS*** see page 2, post #24...HOT STUFF!*

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
Now that I've triggered Cobalt Cobalt with the "R" word...

Here ya go...

Almost 10 yrs. from it's inception...the Battle Pappy seems to still be somewhat of an enigma...

How is that handle attached?

Why so thick of stock?

Is the guard INFI?

Why is the guard shaped that way?

Why is the tang/ricasso so long?

Has anyone used their's......................yet? :p

From my exhaustive search <5 min-- I'm a lazy bastard with short attention span, so sue me> of the prodigious Pappy archives here...I still haven't found answers to these <and many other> Battle Pappy questions.

So using that as a theme, here's some more BP pics that may raise even more questions than provide answers...

yeah, I cropped the tip, I know, I know...I'd retake but I've lost the light...
gAGeXK8.jpg

groovy, man...
TC7VlBo.jpg

almost a third of an inch of hogjaw...
GBhanM5.jpg

sweet swedge...check
nQUPtuw.jpg

that enigmatic double guard...
LcRhsb4.jpg

the first CS model...I think?
I82IOTf.jpg

Field Grade?....really?:confused:
OTA3S5T.jpg

B8EzfSy.jpg

can't tell how that's attached...o_O
S25fWVV.jpg

still can't tell...o_Oo_O
MF3tuIN.jpg

no mystery here...that handle is AMAZIN...I love triangular handles that force your hand fore-ward against a secure guard<cough> HG55 <cough> :)
nxzt0uF.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoy and post up your experiences + wisdom because this is one model I find fascinating and want to learn more about!

I think it was Garth who told me that the tang reaches to within 1/2" of the end of the handle. Then I suppose it has a threaded end for the retention nut.

I was looking really hard at that Battle Pappy in the exchange, thank you for taking it when you did. Here is some good info about the knife such as, the first model in the Custom Shop line, guard is 58-60 Rc INFI.

Awesome blade, man. The handle retention system definitely makes a guy think. Makes me wonder if it is an Allen head bolt that is ran in with thread locker and then the hex drilled out to make it permanent?

Awesome blade, man. The handle retention system definitely makes a guy think. Makes me wonder if it is an Allen head bolt that is ran in with thread locker and then the hex drilled out to make it permanent?

I bet you're right!

Nice score! Where’s she balance at?

a bit fore-ward of the ricasso, quite blade heavy, but not heavy in total...IMHO, perfect for what it could be used for...

Bill Bagwell wrote several columns about Bowies, a few with historical accounts of Bowies being used in H2H struggles. I've read dozens of em. At one time, in parts of the USA, it was perfectly legal to carry concealed firearms but illegal to carry Bowies because they were so feared, stealthy, and deadly in experienced hands.

Bill recounts incidents when Bowies took limbs, hands, heads, etc. from off of combatants in one swipe. I think this blade would pack a punch similar to a small hatchet but with a more generous sweet spot. In other words, if you got stung with a good amount of acceleration from this blade from most any part along the entire length of the edge, it'd ruin your day. It's got a super nice, sharp, nicely refined convex edge.

The handle locks you tight up to the guard letting you really whip it securely. It's got a pointy point that LT of CS would envy;). If a fellow had a mind to, or need to, sharpen the swedge...you'd have the meanest motor scooter on the block. As is, I've only sliced air with it. It'd be deadly on green wood or deadfall alike I'm quite sure judging from other similarly balanced & ground hogs I own.

As is, she's too nice for me to use. I always wanted to fondle one and I'm very likely to pass her along after my "lease" is up. I've had a couple solid brothers already PM me to give em a head's up when I wanted to pass her along. I'm 99% sure that's the way this is heading.

Last edited:
Beautiful blade. I wonder if Busse will make an LE series or did they already?

Thanks ... if they have an LE, I've never seen it...but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a one-off or show variant out there somewhere such is common with most big nice Busse's ;)

hmmm, but it is easy to finish steel to look the same. I wonder. It might be from Home Depot. :p:D

...in a single post, the fabric of my very existence has been rocked to its core with the implications of your quote :eek::eek::eek: :p

LE would have been a run so I guess not. Which means he could do one now.

Classic!!! Can't hardly blame you, she's a real looker imho! Always liked the look of the Pappy though it seems like folks either love it or hate it. You take some great pics Petey thanks for sharing with us! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Classic!!! Can't hardly blame you, she's a real looker imho! Always liked the look of the Pappy though it seems like folks either love it or hate it. You take some great pics Petey thanks for sharing with us! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks! no prob...the best part of BF is the sharing of information and we all find that enjoyable around here, right?

I'm gonna take some mo betta pics tomorrow or Sunday when I'm not so dog-tired from work and when I'll have more patience to compose them better and re-take if I flub it. :oops:

I watch for them for sale and they never seem to come up. Must be one of the rarer Busse knives.

Congratulations on an amazing knife.

I bought one on a whim years ago and glad I did.

Back