Bauer Portaband opinions?

weo

Good morning all. I hope everyone is enjoying cooler fall weather.
Sometimes Harbor Freight has decent, functional tools. Any opinions on the quality of the Bauer portable bandsaws? Do they last and handle cutting well?
I'm looking to set up a swag table with the main use being splitting billets that are ~ 3/4" thick, 2" tall, and 6-7+" long into thirds lengthwise..
There's a new/used one for sale nearby for a pretty decent price.
Thanks and stay safe.

I have used mine with Dewalt Matrix 2 blades on 2x2.5" 1/4" thick angle iron, various blade steels, G10, carbon fiber, etc. Only downside is that the throat for a straight cut is around 5-5.5", so if you are cutting down long cuts, you will have to cut in from both ends. I made a table for mine to mount to my 2x72 in a redneck way. Cost like $40. I just clamp the thick steel bar to the arm bar of my 2x72.

CWhK8lB.jpg

fR5VJYM.jpg

Similar to my experience. Great functioning tool. The cut depth is sort of a pain, but I get by with it. MK Morse blades work the best for me. Typically use a variable pitch 14/18tpi blade.

I've had mine since September 2018. Great little tool, especially if you can catch it on sale for 100 bucks. Even worth it for the full $140 in my opinion.

I have the old version, one worked, one tracked the blade off and destroyed them.

The Bauer ones look even better and with the HF no quibble warranty, I would definitely get one.

I like mine. Used some 2x4s to make a stand based off a guy on YouTube doing it. Works really well. Got the coupon for $100. I think it is worth the money for sure.

What is it for sale for? They are pretty cheap new.

When cutting a 9x11 or whatever sheet of G10 you will have to cut from both sides. Thatā€™s only the real issue I have found.

Thanks for all he responses. I can't find the ad anymore so I guess it's a non-issue now.
I'm still on the fence...So I guess it's good that I still need to figure out where it's going to go before buying.

I am having good luck with mine. I paired it with the Swag table and a HF foot pedal. I think the foot pedal takes it to the next level.

Reactions: weo
Yeah I don't think brand of portaband truly matters but the foot pedal is amazing. I bought a corded deep cut milwaukee cause it was used and inexpensive. I think I paid like $75 for it. Downside with that is when it actually goes I'll need to replace with Milwaukee most likely to match the SWAG table.

I hear you all on the foot pedal. I have one that came with my multi-tool that I've used for other things occasionally but mostly with the really cheap porta-band that was here when I moved in. It turned that useless tool into a slightly useful tool.

Dewalt guy. I use a zip tie on the trigger and plug it into a light bar. Then I use the switch on the light bar as an on and off. Course, cutting blades I'm using it sometimes hours at a time.

I had a Bauer. Out of warranty it ate the brushes. It came with a second set which I installed. They lasted only a few minutes. HF does not provide replacement parts. I bought a third oversized set from the local hardware store and modified them to fit. They lasted a couple minutes. I then disassembled the machine to find the armature was damaged. Buy a Dewalt.

Thanks, all. It sounds like things haven't changed regarding Harbor Freight tools, one might get a good tool, or one might get a bad tool that is exchanged any number of times until one gets one that lasts, but one might also end up with a bunch of duds due to poor quality control.

I think I'll put my canister projects that need this on hold and wait until I move to a new shop and get one that I probably won't have to return....

Thanks, all. It sounds like things haven't changed regarding Harbor Freight tools, one might get a good tool, or one might get a bad tool that is exchanged any number of times until one gets one that lasts, but one might also end up with a bunch of duds due to poor quality control.

I think I'll put my canister projects that need this on hold and wait until I move to a new shop and get one that I probably won't have to return....
I have often said that the Dewalt Portaband was the one tool I would replace that day if it ever died. After quizillions of knives it did and I did.

Recently bought a Milwaukee. Last night I picked up a piece of 1/4" steel for a work rest. The SWAG attaches to the sliding rest. I didn't like that, doesn't seem very secure. The sliding rest can be removed so the work rest contacts the steel bracket underneath. Just needs longer screws recessed into the plate. Now to set up a table for the plate.
I am really looking forward to being able to cut blades without using a hacksaw or sawzall.

I ordered this one ...............i don't know if it's a good or bad decision , we'll see . I like that it is possible to cut small radius ...

Good morning (at least here in the PNW) Natlek, I'm assuming that you are going to use this on steel? Please tell us how it performs.
Stay safe

Good morning (at least here in the PNW) Natlek, I'm assuming that you are going to use this on steel? Please tell us how it performs.
Stay safe
I plan to use it just for shaping scale , not on steel ............

Thats the advantage of the Portaband for me. I cut both scales and steel with it. No small curves though.

Last edited:
Back