Bavarian Edge Sharpener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, a friend of mine has been looking around for this sharpener, but apparently they are no longer around. Has anyone used this product? Good, bad? Anyone have one or know where to get one? Thanks in advance for your help.

You mean like one of these? They're an old synthetic scythe stone (often called a "general purpose stone", "lawn and garden stone", or "canoe stone" in the USA) and while the specific stones are long gone the shape is still around. One of the most versatile stone shapes out there and they can be found in a wide range of blends. The old Vernco ones like the one here pictured still turn up on eBay all the time with assorted advertising slogans printed on them. Funny enough, The Vernon Co. is a promotional goods company that's still around--they just no longer have whetstones. It's all your usual corporate promo garbage.

images

Hi Forty-two, forgive me as I probably should have included a photo. This is the product
iDPefjG.jpg

I have never seen one, nor have I ever heard of it prior to my friend bringing it up. Perhaps a little more sophisticated than the Hunter Honer. I cannot locate one anywhere for him, nor can I get much info on them.

Oh. There are draw-through steels made for meat packers by companies like F. Dick, or abrasive X-style sharpeners by folks like Warthog.

Thanks for the heads up on those. I forwarded that info as well as the Brod &Taylor info. I have a feeling that somewhere there's a warehouse full of these things.

I would not recommend a pull through system for knives. Not worth it in most cases.i can see why people buy them tho.

Here in Europe these are sold under the name Vulkanus sharpener, but are much more expensive.
There are two types: one with stainless housing and one with glass filled nylon housing.
While they do work better than those cheap pull-through sharpeners (the resulting edge looks cleaner & lasts longer), they also remove quite a lot of metal from a knife.
I would not want to use the better quality kitchen knives on them, but in situations where there are lots of cheap kitchen knives that need to be sharpened often and no one around who knows how to sharpen properly, a Vulkanus could be an option.
Think old folks homes, fishing wharfs, etc.

Website works, but I called the number, as did my friend, and they say they don't sell that product. I guess he doessn't want to try placing an order. Can't say I blame him.

Website works, but I called the number, as did my friend, and they say they don't sell that product. I guess he doessn't want to try placing an order. Can't say I blame him.

Yeah... that might be a clue.... (in more than one way)... :rolleyes:

Basically it's bullshit fake advertising according to the expert in the knife shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back