Bayonet Assortment ID Help

Owen K.

Gold Member
Hello fine people of BF! My aunt tasked me with selling/relocating some knives. Normally This would be right up my alley but I don't know my arse from a hole in the ground when It comes to vintage bayonets.
I'm looking for help confirming the models what year they are, if they are reproductions, and ballpark what price I could easily move them for. Thank you so much in advance!

#1 camillus pilot survival knife (Vietnam ERA)
B6Nk82U.jpg

HSckIhq.jpg

#2 2 SA30 Belgium bayonets. One has marking the other looks older but has no making. I have no idea on dating.
L1sINP8.jpg

bW0VWtp.jpg

B8lDSK0.jpg

#3 I have 10 of these. Camillus fighting knives with it looks like painted handles. They look and feel cheap. Dark brown leather sheaths and several of the handle retention pips are busted.
TEH6TB9.jpg

HH5VRnC.jpg

#4 Rubber handled UTICA m4 bayonet with m8 sheath.
4HOvo5L.jpg

jZwuyp1.jpg

RKQpjwk.jpg

#5 Same knife and sheath but made by Camillus. Newer looking leather handle
fGFnPoF.jpg

zQcJ9uT.jpg

#6 Another Camillus m4 but with old black looking leather.
k1gjLuq.jpg

tAX8IWQ.jpg

0hSsFwj.jpg

I'm probably going to keep #1, the nicer #2, and #5. All the others I want to move. Thank you so much for your help guys!

#1 is a VN era JPSK by Camillus. It was made after the blade specs were changed from 6 inches down to 5 inches in 1961 and before the stamp shifted to one of the faces of the hexagonal pommel in January 1967.

#3 is a Camillus made MIL-K-20227, the VN-era replacement nomenclature for the 1219C2/USN-MK2 of WW2 fame.

With black sheaths and black handles, these were made after the change from brown/russet to black for all USMC equipment. This change occured over time starting in 1961, but went into effect for certain as of 10 MAY 1970 for Camillus-made 20227s, since a note to that effect is on the 20227 S-card from the Camillus factory (info per Frank Trzaska's document on the Post-War 1219C2).

The NY was dropped from the stamp as of 01 Febuary 1974, so these knives were made between 10 May 1970 and 31 January 1974.

#1 is a VN era JPSK by Camillus. It was made after the blade specs were changed from 6 inches down to 5 inches in 1961 and before the stamp shifted to one of the faces of the hexagonal pommel in January 1967.
Thank you zz for the info! Any ideas on an approximate value? I'm guessing about $100.

The #2s are SA30 M1949 bayonets from Belgium. The one marked with a serial number and the "Crown over J" stamp was made for Belgium use.

The unmarked one was made for export. The SA30 short bayonet came about as at a request from Egypt for a shorter/lighter blade. The SA30 short bayonet was exported to Egypt, Brazil, Argentina, Belgian Congo (before independence), Colombia, and luxemburg. Over 140,000 were made.

Thank you zz for the info! Any ideas on an approximate value? I'm guessing about $100.

Having spent over 30 years as a volunteer firefighter, EMT and recovery diver, I usually start at "free" and work my way up from there. :D

As for "real" value, it is variable. fleabay's sold items give the best overall current market value - currently, those run from $10 on up to $400. The average seems to be $50 to $90. The high dollar ones must have had something special about them as they were in worse shape than many that went for under $100. The same knife may bring $30 today and next week, $150. It kinda depends on who is looking this week. If you get 2 or more buyers all looking for the same bayonet at the same auction, it may go koo-koo nuts.

The Belgian ones run $50 to $140, DOC and absence/presence of a frog. There are several that are on fleabay that have much higher prices listed on them. They have been sitting there for a while.

The export versions tend to go for $40 to $75, again DOC and if there is a frog.

The M4s are 1944/1945 WW2 bayonets. May or may not have been issued during the KW and VN wars. The M5 came out as a replacement for the M4. The difference was the lug release on the M5 was easier to manipulate while wearing heavy winter gloves. Prices are all over the map. Having sheaths makes the price be higher.

The rubber handled ones are reputed to be rehandled bayonets, with the work being done on Okinawa during the VN war on returned bayonets that had the leather handles rot off.

Edit - cause I can't seem to type 4s when I want 4s

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you so much for your your help zz. I am so grateful. Also, thanks for your years in the volunteer service. I'm 6 years in and, with some luck, I'll make another 24+. Cheers! šŸ˜€

Back