Bayonet Collecting

The AK-47 bayonet thread got me thinking about bayonet collecting. Do any of you have a collection of bayonets that grew out of your knife collecting? Are bayonets highly collectable and what are some good sources for bayonets?

Actually it is the other way around for me... one of my first knives was/is a WW I/WW II bayonet, I think the style for a Garand. It is stamped 1918 on it I think. Anyways, that got me interested in getting more knives.:cool:

I have a few bayonets; for my Enfield, Mauser, Garand, M1A, AR15. I was at a weekly flea market here in Kuwait and found what appeared to me to be a WWI era Mauser bayo, wooden scabbard, in great condition. He wanted 22 dinar ($72) but they always want to hose Ameriki. He came down to 16 dinar ($52) but I walked away thinking I'd bring my filipino gf back and she'd get it for a song. Never seen the dude again and I've been kicking myself ever since.
I've walked away from a couple Martini-Henry bayos and regretted that too.
The bayonets preceeded the knives but only as accessories for the rifles.

I have two WWII bayonets on the wall. Collected them before I found out that a Swiss Army Knife wasn't the best their was in the world. Actually got the first one when I was like 13 or so, against my parents wishes, but once I bought it their was nothing they could do hehe. Anyway I have stopped collecting them now, though the ones I have(fairly cheap common Garand, and Enfield) are good conversation pieces and wall decorations, just like my WWII Sherman tank telescope sight.

Erik

Back