Recommendation? BB Gun for small child?

I am trying to find a small bb gun for my 7 year old daughter. I would like a co2 operated one that has a pretty small grip, that I can use to teach about gun handling/safety and to just do some fun plinking. I dont need anything powerful or fancy. Most of the bb guns I see are modeled after real weapons and have the corresponding size grips. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bruce

I started teaching my kids with Nerf guns. They are by far more advanced than the sucker cupped toy guns I had when I was young. BTW, a unintentional or negligent discharge of a Nerf dart is much safer.

I started teaching my kids with Nerf guns. They are by far more advanced than the sucker cupped toy guns I had when I was young. BTW, a unintentional or negligent discharge of a Nerf dart is much safer.

Yeah, she has had a few nerf guns and it is definitely a good starting point, but I want to up the responsibility factor, without jumping to an actual firearm. I was shooting a 22 rifle and 410 shotgun by her age, but I grew up in a more rural area. If I wanted her to shoot here, I would have to take her to a shooting range, and I dont think she's old enough for that yet.

what about airsoft? they have some pretty cool stuff out there. regardless, definitely get her a pair glasses; ricochets go hand in hand with airguns (least wise from my foggy memory of childhood, lol).

you might find an airsoft in a youth size ... I can't think of a BB gun ... and stepping up there are a few 22LR single shots like the rascal are great size to teach a young one with.

hope you find what you want.

Last edited:
Love watching those snipers in ghillie suits in the Airsoft battles on Dahtube. :thumbsup:

My father bought me one of those Daisy BB rifles when I was 6. The lever action compressed a stiff spring, and it was pretty accurate to 25 yards... we shot empty soda cans. The nice thing about that was that I was not strong enough to cock the rifle, so it made sure my father was always monitoring and interacting with me during the range session... of course I was only 6 years old. We would alternate shots.

Daisy Red Rider BB gun; or a great first rifle for your daughter, a Keystone Sporting Arms "Crickett" in .22LR with a pink stock.

I think even Henry now puts out a small youth sized single shot 22LR bolt action that comes in black or muddy girl pink camo.

You guys are killing me with 22lr suggestions! I would love to have her shooting one of the youth 22 rifles, but that just not an option where we live right now. I am really looking for suggestions for a BB pistol that has a child size grip, but I may end up going with one of the smaller BB rifles that have been suggested.

Keep the suggestions coming! I do appreciate all the ideas!
Bruce

image.jpg
I don't use these co2 pellet guns anymore. I'd be more than happy to send them to you for free.
Really don't have the power for hunting, more for plinking. I like my Springer rifles.

Gamo pt-85 blowback
The other is a T4.
They are full size? This might be a problem?

View attachment 1134380
I don't use these co2 pellet guns anymore. I'd be more than happy to send them to you for free.
Really don't have the power for hunting, more for plinking. I like my Springer rifles.

Gamo pt-85 blowback
The other is a T4.
They are full size? This might be a problem?

I really appreciate the offer, but she has pretty small hands, and I can't see her being able to use one of those comfortably.

However, I would love to try one or both of those ( I have never even tried one of the newer co2 pistols, as the last one I had was probably 25-30 years old) if you just want to get rid of them. Then when I do find something for my daughter we could all shoot together! Just PM me if that sounds ok to you

Thanks,
Bruce

My kids started on the youth sized Red Rider. It is a good learning tool. Then full sized RedRider, a youth Henry .22, a Marlin 39, a .357 Rossi then onto the 30/30. (I need a 45/70)

View attachment 1135250 View attachment 1134569

As was already mentioned she won’t be able to cock the RedRider for a long time. Which is probably safer.

The two pictures go together. The big loop youth Henry is in both pictures for continuity.

Last edited:
My kids started on the youth sized Red Rider. It is a good learning tool. Then full sized RedRider, a youth Henry .22, a Marlin 39, a .357 Rossi then onto the 30/30.View attachment 1134569 View attachment 1134570

As was already mentioned she won’t be able to cock the RedRider for a long time. Which is probably safer.

The two pictures go together. The big loop youth Henry is in both pictures for continuity.

That is a nice collection! Thanks for the comparisons!

You may want to try a Browning Buckmark pellet pistol.
It is an nice break barrel design and I have had nieces and nephews as young as 6 able to fire and load it easily.

You can spend a ton of money or a little. I started out of a crossman single shot pump 1911ish gun and a youth sized crossman lever action rifle. I'm planning to get a sig 320 and it's c02 sig licenced copy asap.

I am trying to find a small bb gun for my 7 year old daughter. I would like a co2 operated one that has a pretty small grip, that I can use to teach about gun handling/safety and to just do some fun plinking. I dont need anything powerful or fancy. Most of the bb guns I see are modeled after real weapons and have the corresponding size grips. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bruce

Get an airsoft gun. These fire plastic bbs so any potential damage will not be permanent unless shot straight in the eye.

They have extremely realistic gas operated (propane or co2) airsoft guns with full features such as cocking slide which recoils upon fire. Magazine and magazine ejector. Slide hold open on last bb fired and slide release. Basically they are exactly as the real firearm only the magazine holds gas and plastic bbs instead of bullets.

You will be looking for GBBP (gas blow back pistol) airsoft guns. Many different guns are copied so you could start her on something small like a SW Shield.

Here are some photos to show you how this can simulate a real gun in terms of handling for a child. In the USA I believe airsoft guns MUST have an orange tip barrel.

KLPoApD.jpg

mFD1N8G.jpg

jjdtveT.jpg

And remember they shoot plastic pellets but the pellets still hurt like a paintball.

My little girl is 7 and she is a little thing. I got her a “Walther” CP99 compact BB gun. She has no trouble shooting it so I got her “Walther” PPk/s it’s a tad smaller but she prefers the trigger pull on the CP99 model. I just upgraded her to a CP99 compact .177 pellet pistol. She still likes her original BB gun better.

Check out the Daisy Avanti BB gun. Single shot springer. Comes with a peep sight. Used in 5 meter bb gun matches for kids. Its only a single shot so it would be safe and also accurate enough that Dad could snipe little plastic army men!

Back