Bead blast removal

I got a CRKT Stiff Kiss a few days ago on an impulse buy. Seems like a decent knife, but the sheath sorta sucks. It also came complete with a ugly bead blast finish and a whole lot of writing on the blade, neither of which I like; so I decided to put a nice polish on the whole thing.

I've sanded it down with some 600 grit wet/dry paper, and have run into a bit of a problem. There are ridges, almost like on a file, down both sides of the blade. I can't see any reason for them to be there, but I'd like to ask before I grind them off. Are these just a by-product of cheap manufacture, or do they offer some advantage that I'm unaware of?

Are these just a by-product of cheap manufacture, or do they offer some advantage that I'm unaware of?

Is that yes they are useless, or yes they are advantageous? Thanks for the input, but being a bit more specific wouldhelp.

Also, how do I put a good finish on the knife? I'm not looking for a mirror polish, just a durable satin finish. I'm currently planning on using wet 1500 grit sand paper, but I also have a Dremel and could use the polishing compound.

Pure speculation here, but...

Ever drive down a dirt road with a ridged, washboard-like surface? I wonder if, while rubbing the sandpaper across the bumpy/rough blasted blade, the paper had a similar effect on the surface of the steel as cars can have on the surface of a dirt road, perhaps chattering a bit along the surface...

:confused:

Back