Bead Blasted Para 3???

Hello knife enthusiasts,

My name is Preston and this is my first post, so a little slack, please. I am starting this thread do to an interesting discovery, I bought six Spyderco knives off of amazon in the hopes to get a counterfeit knife that everyone talks about the knives I ordered were 2 Manix 2 xl, 2 Paramilitary 2 satin with black g10, and last 2 Para 3 with digital camo g10 with satin blades. To my surprise and (oddly enough) disappointment all six knives were authentic, yet it did not end there. one of the para 3's had a bead blasted blade while the other had that classic Spyderco satin we all know and love. At first, I thought maybe this is a counterfeit, but after close examination and deconstruction and I came two the conclusion that that was not possible this Para 3 had amazing fit and finish and everything matched my other Spydercos

determined to get to the bottom of this, I called Spyderco factory outlet the next morning. if remember correctly the rep I spoke to was named Dan, after telling him the knife's birth month I told him my dilemma, his answer was something like "Hmmm I don't know let me figure that out for you........" after waiting for a few minutes he came back with answer that not only did Spyderco never bead blast a blade for the Digi camo version they never bead blasted a s30v blade for a para 3 ever. after hearing this I said so explain why I have a Para 3 with a bead blasted blade his, after talking about several ways I could accidentally end up with a bead blasted blade than just to rule those theories out we decided it would just be a mystery. I want to know your thoughts and speculations on how this is possible.

20191021_222245%20para3%202_zpsnzsvven3.jpg

20191021_222552%20para3_zpsywjjmrid.jpg

20191021_222344%20para3%203_zpssyt5wzbp.jpg

Last edited:
Hello knife enthusiasts,

My name is Preston and this is my first post, so a little slack, please. I am starting this thread do to an interesting discovery, I bought six Spyderco knives off of amazon in the hopes to get a counterfeit knife that everyone talks about the knives I ordered were 2 Manix 2 xl, 2 Paramilitary 2 satin with black g10, and last 2 Para 3 with digital camo g10 with satin blades. To my surprise and (oddly enough) disappointment all six knives were authentic, yet it did not end there. one of the para 3's had a bead blasted blade while the other had that classic Spyderco satin we all know and love. At first, I thought maybe this is a counterfeit, but after close examination and deconstruction and I came two the conclusion that that was not possible this Para 3 had amazing fit and finish and everything matched my other Spydercos

determined to get to the bottom of this, I called Spyderco factory outlet the next morning. if remember correctly the rep I spoke to was named Dan, after telling him the knife's birth month I told him my dilemma, his answer was something like "Hmmm I don't know let me figure that out for you........" after waiting for a few minutes he came back with answer that not only did Spyderco never bead blast a blade for the Digi camo version they never bead blasted a s30v blade for a para 3 ever. after hearing this I said so explain why I have a Para 3 with a bead blasted blade his, after talking about several ways I could accidentally end up with a bead blasted blade than just to rule those theories out we decided it would just be a mystery. I want to know your thoughts and speculations on how this is possible.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I can’t see your pics. Are you sure you aren’t confusing bead blasting with DLC coated?

As I understand it, they changed the finish on the S30V Para 3 from a machine satin to some type of media-blasted finish around the beginning of 2018. What are the date codes on your boxes (should be two letters on the white label)?

the bead-blasted one is 12/18 (LR) and the satin one is 5/17 (EQ). yet why didn't the rep I spoke to mention that, and why can't I find a pic of another one

Here is an image from an authorized dealer of the Military, PM2 and Para 3 alongside each other. The machine satin finish can be seen on the Millie and PM2, as opposed to the tumbled finish on the Para 3.

Interestingly, the blade finish differs depending on the variant of the Para 3. I've never owned a S30V model, but the S35VN/brown G10 has the tumbled finish, whereas the blue G10/M390, smooth black G10/Cruwear, and orange G10/XHP exclusives have the machine satin finish.

PM2-Military-Para3-B.jpg

wow that is very interesting, thank you for digging that up for me, it is funny that the factory outlet rep had no idea.

Hello knife enthusiasts,

Not every employee knows the minute production details about every knife they carry, nor should they be expected to.

Now, the big question I have is, why on Earth were you trying and hoping to get a counterfeit Spyderco from Amazon??? o_O And, pray tell, why were you disappointed to receive authentic products??? :rolleyes:

Everyone says how if you buy a Spyderco knife off of amazon or eBay you will get a fake sooner or later, wanted to see the merit of that by purchasing a few knives off the site. Before I received the knives I was under the impression that at least one would be counterfeit, you have a point to say that I was disappointed was not the proper word to use in that situation, I am actually glad to know that for the most part, you can get good price, authentic Spyderco's off of amazon. The reason I used the word disappointed was that I was so expecting to get a fake but did not.

Everyone says how if you buy a Spyderco knife off of amazon or eBay you will get a fake sooner or later, wanted to see the merit of that by purchasing a few knives off the site. Before I received the knives I was under the impression that at least one would be counterfeit, you have a point to say that I was disappointed was not the proper word to use in that situation, I am actually glad to know that for the most part, you can get good price, authentic Spyderco's off of amazon. The reason I used the word disappointed was that I was so expecting to get a fake but did not.

Just seems weird. Almost like you were hoping to get a fake from Amazon, and then they'd give it to you free or something.

Did you keep all 6 of the knives?

If I got a fake then I would have sent it back, and then would be writing a review on how you can fakes off of amazon as for why so many knives I was planning on buying few Spydercos and had convinced a friend that he needed some Spydercos too and that was my justification on buying so many knives at once

If I got a fake then I would have sent it back, and then would be writing a review on how you can fakes off of amazon as for why so many knives I was planning on buying few Spydercos and had convinced a friend that he needed some Spydercos too and that was my justification on buying so many knives at once

Well alrighty then. This just seems a little strange.

Man hears oft repeated tale on the internet, ponies up his own cash to find out for himself.

Definitely not the norm but I wouldn't call it weird :)

Man hears oft repeated tale on the internet, ponies up his own cash to find out for himself.

Definitely not the norm but I wouldn't call it weird :)

Going down that knife collecting spiral, everyone eventually needs to come up with weird reasons to keep buying! :)

Back