Bear and Son Opinions

I’ve carried a single bladed lockback knife for some 30 years now and just the last couple of years carried a second knife a SAK Alox. While checking out this forum and Blade HQ I saw this knife a Bear & Son Medium Stockman 2.375” White Smooth Bone WSB18
and it looks to be the right size. Problem is I’ve never heard of Bear and Son till today. What’s your thoughts on this brand..

Thanks
Kevin

I have a few. The problem I've had is that their QC is all over the place. I was at one of their bigger dealers a couple years back and looked at over a dozen knives in the same pattern before I found one I'd own. It wasn't something like the color of the scales; no it was uneven grinds, lack of symmetry, overall finish, etc. They make some patterns I really like. They use good materials. They just can't seem to produce a consistent level of quality in a finished product.

I have a trapper and a stockman in carbon steel.

The fit and finish on the blades are not that great and the steel feels pretty soft. The handles and scales are actually pretty good. The walk and talk is a little gritty but snaps well enough. When comparing to Case it’s apparent the quality of Case is higher.

That said, I’m enjoying mine.

I have only one, a sodbuster in blue G10, an excellent unexpensive knife.
Bear-bj3.jpg

I have purchased several in hopes that QC will improve, but it is still hit or miss. If you can pick through in person at a brick and mortar, they can be satisfactory.

I’ll have to echo what everyone else is saying. The quality is hit and miss and more likely it’s going to be a miss in my experience. They have some great looking knives. If you are willing to improve the knife yourself it could be worth your while.

Thanks that's what I need to know. Whose Stockman should I be looking at?
Case makes some good models. But you could also look for Schrade or Buck (USA made), among others.
I'm sure others will post up their recommendations...

I really want to support USA cutlery companies, but I haven't been impressed by the Bear and Son knives I've seen. Maybe someday they will get their act together and put out consistent quality knives. If that happens I'll be happy to buy some. :thumbsup:
Utica (also can be hit and miss)
Case
Buck
Boker Solingen
If you don't mind knives made in China, Rough Rider makes very inexpensive knives that are good for trying out different traditional patterns.
Find yourself vintage "new old stock": Camillus, Schrade, Kutmaster, etc. You should be able to find one for less than the price of a new GEC.

I concur with everything that has been mentioned here...and will also add my personal experience.
I've been interested in several but currently have two Bear & Son knives, both are limited edition only 25 made each. One of them is pretty decent all the way around and they did a pretty good job with it. The other I had to send back for replacement because it was so bad. That told me everything I needed to know about their business model.
I want to support US businesses and like to save a buck here and there...but that experience gave me pause. You can get a really nice Case Stockman in different sizes, blade combos and materials for a reasonable cost.

If you can find a Fight'n Rooster or Bulldog stockman, they are normally very good quality. I would second the German made Boker's also.--KV

You specifically want an American made stockman? Buy a Queen ASAP while they are still fairly inexpensive.

Check out Böker Tree Brand close to gec quality at $50-80 smallest stockman they have to 3.5” but it feels smaller. Case also makes a small stockman in the size of the bear and sons.

Böker Germany is a very worthwhile choice, yes. I think they make 3 different Stockman in carbon, the biggest being around 4" closed, the Small Stockman is 3 3/8" and a very credible smaller knife, the other Stockman is somewhere in between. Check also their Whittler knives. CASE too make a huge variety of Stockman knives at decent prices, especially 2nd hand.

If you don't mind buying pre-owned knives I've got the answer for you. All the brand's that everybody will suggest you can be sure are good to go. What I'm thinking is your looking to get something made well for a good price. In my limited experience of only 3 years or so of collecting knives other then The Exchange right here on BladeForums the best place to score great well made Slipjoint knives for a great price is the website ( All About Pocket Knives ) mind you GEC knives are still priced at a premium there but other top name brands are not. Like Case XX / Shatt & Morgan (Queen )/Fighting Rooster / Vintage Camillus ,Keen Kutter, Schrade and many many more all priced at some very reasonable prices Imo. Hope this helps good luck.

I was in the local hardware store yesterday checking out a few wood handled B&S knives , a mini stockman, single blade peanut ,and a 2 blade jack like the stockman.
All had great W&T with no blade play and great F&F everywhere except for the very rough blades, the grinds across the board were terrible.
I really didn't have time to check every example of each model for a good one, or I'd probably have one of them in my pocket right now.

Back