Bearclaw CRKT, disappointment

Today I did a impulsive purchase, I bought a CRKT Bear Claw. I never really considered buying it before, but somehow it attracted it me today, when I saw it coincidentally in a outdoor-shop.

(I had to pay 70 dollars (>45euro) for it :jerkit: , but whatever).

Anyway when I came home I first noticed that the blade was really dull. I never saw a nib blade as dull as this before. Its almost like a false edge. (the point is good sharp by the way).

Then I started to insert the screws in the sheath. I really didn't use force, but still the tip off the screw brook loose. :eek:

crkt.jpg

As you might understand I don't have any trust in this knife.

Probably I will just throw in a draw and never look back it.

I think I buy a Ka bar TDI, or maybe a Lagriffe. But I think the design of the tdi will suit me better.

That's even less than I expected.

I know that we have to pay a awfull lot for knives und such articles comparing to the states.

At the times the dollar and the euro where still about 1:1 value there was already a difference. But now the exchange rate is dramatically changed, the differences in prices also really increased.

For example I'm looking to buy a CS Ghurka Kukri. The cheapest online Dutch store I could find would sell it for € 459. That is $ 708 dollars...

I'm sure you could get it cheaper in the states. It's ridiculous that also European-made knives are far cheaper in the states. They need to be shipped overseas twice, and still are a hell of a lot cheaper.

Actually I should just import the knives out of the states. But I have no experience with that. Besides I'm a worried about getting problems with the customs.

Me too, disappointed. I had one once, it was fairly dull, cut one piece of cardboard with it, knife was like a butter knife. I've found CRKT's AUS6 to be just horrible, especially compared to either Spyderco's, Kershaw's or SOG's. Sog's is real nice. I can't imagine what their AUS4 knives cut besides soft butter.

This makes no sense, Fjell, since the euro is the stronger currency, it should be cheaper for you to import, harder to export. Your tax rates must be almost confiscatory or more likely, your local dealers are taking advantage of you.

Buying a simple fixed blade should not present an import problem, and we have several highly reliable dealers who ship routinely to their overseas customers. See www.newgraham.com

Today I did a impulsive purchase, I bought a CRKT Bear Claw. I never really considered buying it before, but somehow it attracted it me today, when I saw it coincidentally in a outdoor-shop.

(I had to pay 70 dollars (>45euro) for it :jerkit: , but whatever).

Anyway when I came home I first noticed that the blade was really dull. I never saw a nib blade as dull as this before. Its almost like a false edge. (the point is good sharp by the way).

Then I started to insert the screws in the sheath. I really didn't use force, but still the tip off the screw brook loose. :eek:

As you might understand I don't have any trust in this knife.

Probably I will just throw in a draw and never look back it.

I think I buy a Ka bar TDI, or maybe a Lagriffe. But I think the design of the tdi will suit me better.

A brand new knife that isn't sharp is defective. Broken screws are defective. Return it to the store for a refund and buy something that works.

I like my Bearclaw. Steel seems a bit soft but it sharpens easily on crock sticks.

I modified the sheath by removing the top extension and filing so I can put my finger through the ring while the knife is sheathed. Wear it with the clip attached between my belt and pants, handle up. The clip retains the sheath on the belt during the draw.

I had one a few years ago and my only issue was with the sheath - it was too bulky.

However, the knife itself was sharp and well put together.
And it was made in Taiwan, like almost all of the CRKT knives of that time.

I wonder if CRKT has switched production to mainland China - which, in my experience, could certainly result in a lower quality product.

I've had one for quite a while and like it. As posted above, the steel is a little softer than I would prefer, but it sharpens easily and it is not a blade type that I see as intended for heavy use anyways.

I bought a bunch of bear claws from el cheapo manufacturers and I give
them away. They're a very nice defensive tools, but there's really no reason
going with the reputable (if you can call CRKT reputable) models when you can
get full tang sharp bear claws for less than eight bucks. The points, BTW, are
the most important parts of the bear claws, but then, your photo is missing
and I don't know which one you have.

For cutting jobs, steel quality becomes a significant factor; however, for
defensive, gun retention purposes, the steel really doesn't matter on something
that small. Mine are also suitable for opening packages and routine stuff. And
putting a keen cutting edge on your bear claw will likely be a tough job.

A_Knife_1.jpg

You can get this cheapie almost anywhere for eight bucks or less. The
serrated portion of the blade is effective in self defense applications.

A_Knife_2.jpg

And this has even a nicer grip, plus the blade is sharp. Ditto on
the price. Defense knives of this type don't need to be made
from premium materials. The materials don't crack or chip and
they feel good in the hand. The notch on the knife fits very
nicely into the sheath and keeps it secure.

imho CRKT fixed blades arent bad, at the right price anyway lol, CRKT sheaths suck though, every last one i have seen anyway, imho one of the old CRKT companions with some custom kydex is a lotta SD knife for less than $50.

Confederate, I know this may sound a tad stupid but any suggestions as to where I could find a few of these el cheapo bear claws? I'm not sure what to look for....
Just my two cents, but that bear claw shape/neck knife portability makes for one hell of work knife. I work at a garden center and the el cheapo folding karambit I have works like a charm for most of the cutting tasks I have, the blade shape is perfect.

The CRKT bearclaw is a self defense knife...period. It does not have to be made from a super-steel if all it needs to cut is flesh. The 2515 steel is a high carbon steel with better than average corrosion resistance. My bear claw sheath is actually not bad giving the user a number of different mounting options. It is also being used as an emergency knife to cut seat belts and by commercial fishermen to cut line and nets. If you are buying a self defense knife based on the sheath...you might be missing the point of the knife but CRKT is highly likely to send you a replacement.
It is a great little set-up for it’s intended purpose...which is very limited in scope! You cut a major artery with the thing and your assailant will bleed out before the first responders arrive!

The CRKT bearclaw is a self defense knife...period. It does not have to be made from a super-steel if all it needs to cut is flesh. The 2515 steel is a high carbon steel with better than average corrosion resistance. My bear claw sheath is actually not bad giving the user a number of different mounting options. It is also being used as an emergency knife to cut seat belts and by commercial fishermen to cut line and nets. If you are buying a self defense knife based on the sheath...you might be missing the point of the knife but CRKT is highly likely to send you a replacement.
It is a great little set-up for it’s intended purpose...which is very limited in scope! You cut a major artery with the thing and your assailant will bleed out before the first responders arrive!
I'm not sure the OP is monitoring this thread. He probably tossed the knife 11 years ago

Ain't no commercial fisherman gonna keep that thing on their person or use it for a damn thing.

Spyderco Salt or other Serrated Spyde is the blade for cutting nets & Line the couple of commercial fisherman I know use!

Back