Bearing action recommendations

I recently picked up a Honey Badger because it's $30 and supposedly has a great action. It fires out so well I honestly went back to the listing and made sure it wasn't assisted. I'm super impressed with it, but I'm also turning into a steel snob so the 8cr13 isn't going to cut it (heh).

What are some good bearing knives with better steels? Let's say under $200 or so, although feel free to throw out some more expensive ones, never hurts to have a grail.

ZT knives in that price range (or slightly higher, unless you go used) tend to have great action on bearings. My 0562, 0456, and 0452 had some of the nicest drop-shut action I've ever experienced.

It's closer to $300, but the Microtech Socom Elite also has phenomenal action.

There is tons of selection in that price range. Maybe helps if you specify what kind of steel, knife size, any kind of secondary opening mechanism you like, etc.

That being said, my best flipper is CF BB Division. Literally impossible for me to open partially. Out of your budget, maybe too large, and D2 if you care ?

I'm picky so I didn't want to limit things too much, was just going to look at all of the recommendations and narrow it down to ones that appeal to me. Generally under 8" total, and as far as steel I prefer good rust resistance. I'm absent minded so if I have something that needs oiled to prevent rust, it's probably going to get rusty.

I don't like ZT for some reason. I've yet to see a ZT and think "Man, I really want that." I've handled a couple of their $3-400 bearing models and I wasn't as impressed with the action on them as I am with the honey badger. Maybe because absolutely nothing appealed to me about them, I was just checking out the action.

Reactions: Mo2
I'm picky so I didn't want to limit things too much, was just going to look at all of the recommendations and narrow it down to ones that appeal to me. Generally under 8" total, and as far as steel I prefer good rust resistance. I'm absent minded so if I have something that needs oiled to prevent rust, it's probably going to get rusty.

I don't like ZT for some reason.

Good pointers. In that size and stainless, and if you don't like ZT, my best flipper is the Spyderco Smock. The secondary detent is really cool, and the knife is beautiful to close as well. You have to like Wharnies though. Currently not in stock, but I think it will be back soon.

I didn't realize the smock was on bearings. I'm both a fan of wharncliffes and spyderco so I will definitely have to keep an eye out for it. I already thought it was a good looking knife.

Here's a short list of the ones that impressed me the most:

ZT 0452
Tashi Rowdy HiTech
3 Rivers/RJ Martin Machine
Curtiss F3
Ferrum Forge Masterblaster
Zieba S3
Spartan Pallas (more for the thumbstud action but is does have bearings and a flipper)

For what it’s worth, the absolute smoothest flipper I’ve handled - and I’ve handled over a hundred in the $20-500 range - was the Stedemon BG-01. Mine may have just been some kind of miracle fluke knife where everything came together perfectly, though.

V6xK7jA.jpg

I really like my Ferrum Forge Crux, lock bar was a little stiff but I fine tuned it and the action is great now. I like simple design and quality components, good metal race bearings with thick washers, and the s35vn is pretty good so far.

If you want to spend a little more, ZT makes some of the nicest flippers in the $250 price range.

Would agree with the Megalodon recommendation. Mine is much better than the Shiro I owned. Still have the Meg but not the Shiro. But I gotta say my funnest to fidget with, and perfect smooth action and close is hands down my Ferum Forge Pro Archbishop.

But just about any ZT would be great choice. My 470 (don’t have right now cuz being professionally sharpened by one of our own) is super sweet.

V6xK7jA.jpg

I really like my Ferrum Forge Crux, lock bar was a little stiff but I fine tuned it and the action is great now. I like simple design and quality components, good metal race bearings with thick washers, and the s35vn is pretty good so far.

If you want to spend a little more, ZT makes some of the nicest flippers in the $250 price range.

I have quite a few flippers, most all of them much more expensive than the crux, and the crux has the best action of any knife I own, imo.

Back