1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Bearing action recommendations

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jason Puckett, May 21, 2019.

1. Jason Puckett

Jason Puckett Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2019
    I recently picked up a Honey Badger because it's $30 and supposedly has a great action. It fires out so well I honestly went back to the listing and made sure it wasn't assisted. I'm super impressed with it, but I'm also turning into a steel snob so the 8cr13 isn't going to cut it (heh).

What are some good bearing knives with better steels? Let's say under $200 or so, although feel free to throw out some more expensive ones, never hurts to have a grail.

2. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    ZT knives in that price range (or slightly higher, unless you go used) tend to have great action on bearings. My 0562, 0456, and 0452 had some of the nicest drop-shut action I've ever experienced.

It's closer to $300, but the Microtech Socom Elite also has phenomenal action.

Jason Puckett likes this.
  3. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Real Steel Megalodon.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Jason Puckett and b00n like this.
  4. ferider

ferider Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2018
    There is tons of selection in that price range. Maybe helps if you specify what kind of steel, knife size, any kind of secondary opening mechanism you like, etc.

That being said, my best flipper is CF BB Division. Literally impossible for me to open partially. Out of your budget, maybe too large, and D2 if you care ?

5. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Shiro OLAMIC
    REATE
    ZT
    WE

`br4dz- and Jason Puckett like this.
  6. Jason Puckett

Feb 14, 2019
    I'm picky so I didn't want to limit things too much, was just going to look at all of the recommendations and narrow it down to ones that appeal to me. Generally under 8" total, and as far as steel I prefer good rust resistance. I'm absent minded so if I have something that needs oiled to prevent rust, it's probably going to get rusty.

I don't like ZT for some reason. I've yet to see a ZT and think "Man, I really want that." I've handled a couple of their $3-400 bearing models and I wasn't as impressed with the action on them as I am with the honey badger. Maybe because absolutely nothing appealed to me about them, I was just checking out the action.

Mo2 likes this.
  7. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Reate K-2. Above Budget but a very excellent action.

8. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    Good pointers. In that size and stainless, and if you don't like ZT, my best flipper is the Spyderco Smock. The secondary detent is really cool, and the knife is beautiful to close as well. You have to like Wharnies though. Currently not in stock, but I think it will be back soon.

9. Jason Puckett

Feb 14, 2019
    I didn't realize the smock was on bearings. I'm both a fan of wharncliffes and spyderco so I will definitely have to keep an eye out for it. I already thought it was a good looking knife.

10. ShadyMethods

ShadyMethods Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Here's a short list of the ones that impressed me the most:

ZT 0452
    Tashi Rowdy HiTech
    3 Rivers/RJ Martin Machine
    Curtiss F3
    Ferrum Forge Masterblaster
    Zieba S3
    Spartan Pallas (more for the thumbstud action but is does have bearings and a flipper)

11. Impulse600

Impulse600

May 24, 2016
    Andre Thorburn all day everyday

12. Jason Puckett

Feb 14, 2019
    Holy crap, had never heard of him before, but I have my grail. Thanks for the suggestion.

13. WalterEgo

WalterEgo

Jul 24, 2018
    Buck 830 Marksman

14. ferider

Jun 20, 2018
    Check this out:

15. Impulse600

Impulse600

May 24, 2016
    Andre is my favorite maker, his action is flawless and the fit and finish is amazing.
    If you are trying to get one I would reach out to BladeGallery
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv2MfppBNeX/

16. Jason Puckett

Feb 14, 2019
    Oh, it'll be a good long time until I could even consider getting one. In the meantime, I can drool over them.

17. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    For what it’s worth, the absolute smoothest flipper I’ve handled - and I’ve handled over a hundred in the $20-500 range - was the Stedemon BG-01. Mine may have just been some kind of miracle fluke knife where everything came together perfectly, though.

18. brando555

brando555 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2018
    [​IMG]

I really like my Ferrum Forge Crux, lock bar was a little stiff but I fine tuned it and the action is great now. I like simple design and quality components, good metal race bearings with thick washers, and the s35vn is pretty good so far.

If you want to spend a little more, ZT makes some of the nicest flippers in the $250 price range.

19. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Would agree with the Megalodon recommendation. Mine is much better than the Shiro I owned. Still have the Meg but not the Shiro. But I gotta say my funnest to fidget with, and perfect smooth action and close is hands down my Ferum Forge Pro Archbishop.

But just about any ZT would be great choice. My 470 (don’t have right now cuz being professionally sharpened by one of our own) is super sweet.

20. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I have quite a few flippers, most all of them much more expensive than the crux, and the crux has the best action of any knife I own, imo.

Jason Puckett and brando555 like this.