Bears in the woods....

dunno, Brian.

Your idea would contribute to the concept of "being one with nature."

Your idea would contribute to the concept of "being one with nature."

You could always tote a 300watt boom box complete with a nice long soundtrack of Godzilla's favorite roars. That should scare off every living thing within 5 miles of you.

n2s

Forget the bayonet. 50 ft./second!!

I suspect that focusing the attention of a group on bayonets helps to maintain cohesion.

n2s

Bri in Chi said:
I still say the way to deal with hostile bears is to tickle them behind the ears and call them by cute nicknames. However, I've not tried this myself. It's a theory. Like evolution. Or gravity. :eek:
LOL There's something called the Darwin Awards for thinking like that! :D :D

What about that guy who dressed up in that bear-proof suit he'd made, only to find that the bear refused to attack and cowered in fear in the corner of its cage?

If you want to test that suit, you just need to put it on, go to the nearest highway, and jump in front of a semi.

n2s

We haven't talked about Black Bear much. They're reaching record weights again in those Eastern States which prohibit or restrict hunting. When they predate humans, they'll often follow one, in no hurry, just walking closer and closer until it's time for a tasty bite.

munk

I read somewhere that if you flip a black bear on its back and rub its tummy it'll fall asleep. ;)

You Guys had me laughing so hard,my other half kicked me off the computer, after I got home from work at 4 in the morning.So I went downstairs to check on my 458 winnie, that I have for a squirrel gun.
Cheers

I've always wanted, like many other gunnies, a 458 or 416. The power is awesome to contemplate and learn to handle. Not that the lizards in the lower 48 require it......

munk

munk said:
Danny, if there's a correlation between recoil tolerance and size, I haven't found it. There are 127 pound men who fire large bores and 300 pound men of enormous strength who cannot. It seems to be psychological, not physical in the sense you mean.

You just found that correlation, Munk. All things being equal a lighter shooter will be hurt less by a good kick; their body moves more under recoil, reducing the load on their shoulder. I see it all the time, especially with shotguns. The little guys get knocked all over the place, the big guys just stand there - and have all the bruises the next day to show for it. The little guys are good to go.

Recoil tolerance has always interested me. It's a pretty fascinating subject...there are so many variables involved it's nearly impossible to measure them all. I agree with you in that a large part of it is in the shooter's mind, but not all of it. Run a crate of 00 buckshot through a M500 and you may not have a flinch but you will have a bruise, if not worse.

raghorn said:
I read somewhere that if you flip a black bear on its back and rub its tummy it'll fall asleep. ;)

I think that was an alligator; and you have to bring along a can of spinach.

From: Little Swee Pea (1936) - introduces the character of Swee Pea

"There's no ifs or maybes,
I'll never has babies!
I'm Popeye The Sailor Man!"

n2s

Yes, Satori, there is that- a big man used to resistance who will not yield. But he can be taught to relax and move with the recoil. REcoil fascinates me as well.
Shooting is mind over matter. I remember well the deep purple bruises I recieved from sighting in my Marlin lever with handloads one summer....

I'm afraid I'm less than I was. Since the beating I recieved two years ago, I have a flinch. My eye, which was ruptured by a chair, seems to have a mind of it's own. I even flinch at a thrown ball. I'm looking forward to relearning shooting.
There have been many times in my life I've had to break a flinch. People make too big a deal of this. There are some in the industry who suggest once you aquire a flinch the World is over- you're doomed never to shoot again.
Actually, placing blanks or inert cartridges between live rounds in a firearm has always helped me.

Shooting has taught me so much. What a wonderful teacher. What great mental achievement.

munk

Back