1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Beater' EDCs

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by flip888, Jan 11, 2019.

1. flip888

flip888

Jun 8, 2006
    I was just posting in another thread about how whenever I carry a 'high end' folder, I always carry a beater knife along with it (Buck 110 lately). I usually end up using the beater all day and the ''high end' knife never leaves my pocket so it can stay pristine.

I also find, that since I know I've got a nice knife with a perfect edge in my pocket, I'll use the beater knife for things I'd never usually use a knife for. I've dug through rocky soil, cut roofing material, scraped burrs off copper pipe, cut wire, cut sand impregnated jute netting, pry lids off paint cans, etc.

Anyway I'm wondering if any of you do the same thing and if you have any pictures of your beater knives, I'll try to post mine when I get home.

ronin.graves likes this.
  2. Randanator

Randanator

Aug 19, 2018
    I usually don't, just because I have too much in my pockets already. I tend to carry just a beater knife at work, then one of my nicer ones once I get home/the weekend. Right now I have a RAT-1. That poor thing has had a rough life :(

3. herisson

herisson Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2013
    The "beater knife" should be your favorite knife. But I totally get the thing about saving the most beautiful precious for noble tasks, like looking at it and fondling it. Guilty all the way I am...

4. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    Several decades ago, I worked as a ski instructor in rocky Vermont. Thin snow conditions can destroy skis when you hit a rock. "Rock skis" are "beater skis" you don't mind destroying by ripping out an edge. If you don't have a pair of rock skis, you ski timidly and timid skiing sucks.

The guys I hung with had a saying. "All skis are rock skis." It was a call or challenge to ski the skis like they were meant to be skied without care of the ramifications. Yes, some skis died this way. They're just skis. Turns matter more than skis.

If I'm not willing to use a knife, I don't carry it. If a knife is too dear to be used and broken, it looses its appeal to me. Sort of like a Cadillac pick up truck. I don't get it.

5. MittenStateMashers

MittenStateMashers Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 12, 2018
    92798A9F-B4E4-4298-A7A7-ED726168011F.jpeg 2D322453-E0F7-40B4-8B90-DA1534D7CD70.jpeg my beater knife. One of my all time favorites

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    I keep a CASE Sodbuster JR CV in my garage tool box for such occasions..:rolleyes:
    John

flip888 likes this.
  7. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    You can carry both. You really can do it. I do it, everyday. It's great !

ronin.graves and flip888 like this.
  8. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    I could even have an Opinel lingering somewhere for such said occasions. But, honestly, no, i will grab an Old Hickory butcher knife and hack the occasion up. I'm such a brute.

9. MittenStateMashers

MittenStateMashers Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I get a lot of satisfaction using a knife that I love as my hard user.
    I also find that higher quality knives cut better then your run of the mill “gas station” knife.

10. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000

What I'm trying to say is every knife that is capable of use should be used... Otherwise it's money sitting in a safe that is better put to use elsewhere.

11. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    The better the knife, the harder you can use it. I mean, strictly knife tasks, of course. And yes, my "very high end" knives cut like a dream. I regret not one penny spent on them. Quality translates into efficiency all the time. Not talking price here, that's another topic.

12. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I have a tendency to use all my knives that I carry. I trimmed roofing the other day to get a roof jack to fit using my CRK. Had to clean it off with some lighter fluid and put the edge back on it, but it works fine now. The better knives will hold up just fine as long as you don’t do anything stupid with them. Like use one as a pry bar with a high HT no matter if it’s a folder or fixed blade.

13. morvlorv

morvlorv Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2014
    I carry my most expensive knives and use them.
    If they get dull i sharpen them.
    If it happens to get dinged up, its a scar, much like scars on my skin, hahah.

14. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    You are right. Better steel / heat treatment / grind / finish translates into better performance.

15. KAEDC

KAEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Honestly no, I carry and use my knives regardless, I can't justify keeping them otherwise. That said, I also work a desk and there are no tasks I encounter daily that I wouldn't use any of my knives for. If I know I'm going to go to do more demanding tasks that day, I'll probably grab a knife with "bomb proof" warranty, right now that would probably be my Aaron Fredrick custom Charon in 3V, he says he'll fix anything, you just have to tell him the story of how you jacked it up.

flip888 and Charlie Mike like this.
  16. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    Don't do silly stuff (knife ways...) and you will be golden. My most loved knives get used the most and for any cutting task that may present itself. Those who fall out of favor get sold or relegated in a drawer. Tough cheese...

17. microbe

microbe

Apr 6, 2016
    I'm not saying I beat on my knives, but they are users. Why spend money on a better steel, better looking, and better working knife when if you have a need to use a knife, you use a cheapo?

ronin.graves, Mikel_24 and flip888 like this.
  18. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    Easy answer : pleasure !

ronin.graves and flip888 like this.
  19. MeritedEdge

MeritedEdge

Jan 3, 2018
    Every knife I own is a beater knife. I don't do safe queens.

ronin.graves, Mikel_24, dc50 and 5 others like this.
  20. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    IMG_20190110_222619_104.jpg

Even though I made this for myself, I have made several reproductions that sold for $600.