'Beater' EDCs

Fine, but pleasure is everywhere, you know. My most precious have been considered, looked at, analysed and tested on the sharpening bench before even cutting something. Now that I have assessed their abilities, I might give them hell, or not. But they sure will work their ass off, in their own proper way.

I was just posting in another thread about how whenever I carry a 'high end' folder, I always carry a beater knife along with it (Buck 110 lately). I usually end up using the beater all day and the ''high end' knife never leaves my pocket so it can stay pristine.

I also find, that since I know I've got a nice knife with a perfect edge in my pocket, I'll use the beater knife for things I'd never usually use a knife for. I've dug through rocky soil, cut roofing material, scraped burrs off copper pipe, cut wire, cut sand impregnated jute netting, pry lids off paint cans, etc.

Anyway I'm wondering if any of you do the same thing and if you have any pictures of your beater knives, I'll try to post mine when I get home.

Just carrying a knife already makes it take on some signs of wear. If you want to keep it prisine you gotta basically never touch it.

So since you are already carrying it why not use it? You only live once, who are you saving the knife in pristine condition for that will enjoy it more than you?

Even if you plan on passing it to your kids, which knife do you think will hold more sentimental value? The knife that dad never really used or the knife that dad used for everything.

If you’re carrying it already might as well indulge yourself and use it.

Just carrying a knife already makes it take on some signs of wear. If you want to keep it prisine you gotta basically never touch it.

So since you are already carrying it why not use it? You only live once, who are you saving the knife in pristine condition for that will enjoy it more than you?

Even if you plan on passing it to your kids, which knife do you think will hold more sentimental value? The knife that dad never really used or the knife that dad used for everything.

If you’re carrying it already might as well indulge yourself and use it.
You should use it.

Most of my higher end knives are folders, and they don't usually make it into my pocket on work days. I do carry a fixed blade of some size / shape all the time, and would use those for anything. Just like I appreciate getting cleaned up after work and putting on clean clothes, I appreciate setting my work folders aside and clipping a nicer knife in my pocket when I am not officially on the clock. So while I certainly use all my knives, I try to match them to the task at hand, and get as much enjoyment out of the beaters as I do the more expensive customs, just in different ways. Current beater:
winkler dw.jpg

My work knife
f1Ss8Un.jpg

It's the same philosophy I have with guns. If I am unwilling to use it, abuse it, get it dirty, then I have no use for it in my safe. The reason I started a thread looking for a cheaper EDC is for that reason. I'd prefer something i dont feel bad about using. It's funny how often people talk up premium knife steels when your 8CR and 420HC and AUS8 are the ones that actually get used. Maybe that's why the edges last so long on $100+ knives.

I completely understand the sentiment, but never agreed with it. I have more traditional knives than modern, but the only modern I want to remain in my collection is my most expensive knife. I only use two traditionals for "heavy duty" and that would be the GEC #71 and Buck 110. The one modern is a KW exclusive PM2 which is a work horse while still remaining beautiful. I trust the PM2 more because of the lock so it gets slightly more beat than the other knives. Only problem is that I'm really not looking forward to learning how to sharpen M4 steel :(

I don't know if I'd call it a "beater" but I use this SOG Kilowatt as a daily work knife and it's probably used harder overall than any other of my folders. With that being said, I still only use it within the confines of what a knife is for and don't do anything with it I wouldn't do with one of my others.

7CgQ8Tf.jpg

It's the same philosophy I have with guns. If I am unwilling to use it, abuse it, get it dirty, then I have no use for it in my safe. The reason I started a thread looking for a cheaper EDC is for that reason. I'd prefer something i dont feel bad about using. It's funny how often people talk up premium knife steels when your 8CR and 420HC and AUS8 are the ones that actually get used. Maybe that's why the edges last so long on $100+ knives.

E93CBBA1-D08A-4623-B9BC-644FB191B2DD.jpeg

Carried every day

No pics, but the knife I used for the down-and-dirtier stuff than a lot of my less-expensive was folders was my first CRK, a large regular Sebenza bought new back in 2002. I never 'beat' on it or abused it, but used it hard as a knife. I quickly got over any trepidation about using it hard, because I had to heavily reprofile its edge out of the box. I figured if I had to do that, I might as well use the thing. It still looks good, with the 'snail trails' all over the handle.

Jim

I have some knives that I keep for sentimental reasons. Others are back ups of models I like and can't get any longer. However, most would get used if needed.

The funny thing is, most of the "beater knives" I purchase never get used. I have a modified multi-tool that does most of my beater work. Give me a utility knife and a multi-tool and 99% of my beater work is covered.

I use all of my knives. Medford, Spyderco, ZT, Benchmade, ESEE, etc. I have too many knives, but I use them all or they get sold/gifted.

My “Beaters” are knives like Ontario Rat, Spyderco Endura, Benchmade Griptilian and other $50-100-ish knives. I use my expensive knives almost daily, but I wouldn’t open cans, cut drywall on concrete, pry and generally try to break a $200-500 knife.

Having said that, I am a white collar guy but I do spend a lot of time in the woods. I don’t tend to kill knives though. One of my good buddies fixes boilers for a living and destroys knives at work. He owns Chris Reeves and Hinderers and wouldn’t dream of bringing them to work. THAT I get as he likely buys and trashes a Gerber or similar $20-30 Walmart knife every month or two.

Type of use is an important consideration, but I don’t get having a safe full of unused expensive knives. To each their own, I guess.

You just described my "good" knives.
Nothing wrong with that.:thumbsup:

I only own one Medford and it is the one knife out of about 100 I own that was over $150USD. The Medford and a handful (maybe 4-5) of other “high end” knives I own don’t get crazy hard use. Lifetime no questions asked warranties from many American manufacturers can be a good insurance policy.

Back