'Beater' EDCs

I can't honestly say that my knives get used very hard at all. My Alox Electrician goes to work with me, but there, I have a whole range of tools for any job, so the Alox only really gets used when I don't have a specialized tool with me, and I know that it can handle the task. Otherwise, I have to climb back down all 80' of stairs, and get the end-cutters, because I didn't check to make sure they were in my bag, before I went up. Karma's a bitch.

At home, it's much the same: digging, prying, hammering, all have their own specialized tools (although sometimes the Fubar gets used because it's fun), because the knife is for cutting. If there's metal involved, I have other tools with electric motors in them to do that.

I dunno, I have a daily driver pick-up and I also have a woods truck. The latter already sports rust and has dings - I can use it hunting and the like without worry. When I go in a S&T to my 9-5 I don't smell like lab and get dog hair all over me.

With folders, besides wear and tear, there is the added risk associated with loss. That risk being added to the matrix - I see a place in this world for good value oriented performers like the RAT-1, Cold Steel Voyagers and the like. In fact, they are my go-to EDCs when ugly tasks are anticipated.

I don't have a lot of knives (by some standards) and only two knives over $100 (so far). My cheaper knives are the ones I carry day to day at work. I would carry and use the more expensive ones, but laws where I work make carrying them of dubious legality at best. They do get carried when I am hiking, camping, hunting and fishing and see some action during those times. I won't abuse them, but I will use them. Something about dressing a rabbit or cleaning a fish with a fine knife makes those tasks as enjoyable as the expedition itself.
I'll admit that when they are brand new, it is harder for me to put them to use. I start out with lighter tasks like opening mail. Eventually I am comfortable with putting them to harder use, but they all finally end up in the field to do what I bought them for once I get past the infatuation stage.

Something about dressing a rabbit or cleaning a fish with a fine knife makes those tasks as enjoyable as the expedition itself.

To me, this is what tools are for. They are meant to be used as designed for the enjoyment of the owner. If I would hesitate to use it, I would hesitate to buy it.

X0ayvjf.jpg

When I commissioned these guns (one of a matched pair above) many of my friends asked if I would bust brush with them. I said of course. The marks remind me of glorious days chasing birds though the brambles. As a matter of fact, the gunmaker wanted to fit the wood a fingernail proud to account for future refinishing. I declined, saying I will never refinish the pair.

The same goes for my Shirogorov F3. It's a user. But I won't abuse it either.

Last edited:
I am of the opinion that knives are tools and only have a purpose if they are used. That being said, I have some knives whose use is to be a gentleman's folder in a formal dress setting -- I am not going to take that knife to the lumber yard with me. I guess I look at my knives in the same way I look at my shoes... I have no problem spending $300 on a solid pair of hiking boots that are going to get hard use, but I am not going to go paint with them... I'll use my cheap running shoes for that.

To me, this is what tools are for. They are meant to be used as designed for the enjoyment of the owner. If I would hesitate to use it, I would hesitate to buy it.

X0ayvjf.jpg

When I commissioned these guns (a matched pair) many of my friends asked if I would bust brush with them. I said of course. The marks remind me of glorious days chasing birds though the brambles. As a matter of fact, the gunmaker wanted to fit the wood a fingernail proud to account for future refinishing. I declined, saying I will never refinish the pair.

Now there's some beautiful work! Having great tools that you love using to do the things you love to do bring a joy to those things that is difficult to put into words.

Now there's some beautiful work! Having great tools that you love using to do the things you love to do bring a joy to those things that is difficult to put into words.

Guns, knives, watches ... once I assemble what I want to meet my needs I'm done. Can't buy 'em all. I own few things, but what I do have is quality through and through.

"Beater" would typically mean you "don't care for and abuse it". I abuse none of my knives. I might use them intensively but that's about it. Here are two who didn't get much love. Those were times where "knife love" wasn't the greatest thing in my life. They have been used for more than 30 years. Both are still usable for what they are intended for.
Ok4AAiH.jpg

L2xA5E4.jpg

Others didn't survive, I can't lie... and many were lost. Talk about abuse...

Sadly, I have way too many knives I will never abuse. Meanwhile, I have way too many that could be beaters, but little opportunity to beat them. Can you beat that?

I typically dont buy or carry too expensive of knives due to the high risk of dropping it in the lake or river, or losing them some other way. If I have a rough use task I use my multitool.

Sure I have a couple of cheaper "showpiece" knives but I dont carry them. If I'm only going to look at it I really dont care about what steel it uses.

My sons gifted me a crk21 on my 50th birthday (56 is approaching) they had the handle engraved with my initials and my age at the time I rarely ever carry it because of sentimental reasons so this year at blade show Atlanta they were gracious enough to purchase me a small Inkosi and made me vow to use it for what it is! I will and I do,enjoy your tools.

Most of my higher end knives are folders, and they don't usually make it into my pocket on work days. I do carry a fixed blade of some size / shape all the time, and would use those for anything. Just like I appreciate getting cleaned up after work and putting on clean clothes, I appreciate setting my work folders aside and clipping a nicer knife in my pocket when I am not officially on the clock. So while I certainly use all my knives, I try to match them to the task at hand, and get as much enjoyment out of the beaters as I do the more expensive customs, just in different ways. Current beater:
View attachment 1052227

How is that Winkler Kilimanjaro gear knife btw? Most of their stuff looks like gas station specials with their logo slapped on it so that Winkler knife really intruiged me.

It's the same philosophy I have with guns. If I am unwilling to use it, abuse it, get it dirty, then I have no use for it in my safe. The reason I started a thread looking for a cheaper EDC is for that reason. I'd prefer something i dont feel bad about using. It's funny how often people talk up premium knife steels when your 8CR and 420HC and AUS8 are the ones that actually get used. Maybe that's why the edges last so long on $100+ knives.

Dude why don’t you go to the used section of this forum and buy an already used nice knife. That way you won’t feel bad about putting use on it and you’ll get a nicer knife than you would otherwise.

Two of my favourite knives were folders that came to me with plenty of wear marks on them used. I would have probably used them anyway but it’s a great way to get a superior knife you’ll have no qualms about putting to work.

How is that Winkler Kilimanjaro gear knife btw? Most of their stuff looks like gas station specials with their logo slapped on it so that Winkler knife really intruiged me.
It's a really good knife. Micarta handles, easily maintained steel, good size and great designer in Mr. Winkler. I love the look and feel of the knife, which makes it a perfect work EDC for me.

I have a few “beater” EDCs that tend to be either good knives for their price or a nicer knife that I just must use. If it’s a true collectible to me, I may tuck a second one away to keep pristine, but that’s rare.

1. Some of my beaters for home/EDC include:
  • Ontario RAT1 and RAT
  • Steel Will Knives Cutjack Mini
  • CRKT Heiho, Hissatsu folder, Ripple, or Shenanigan
  • Kershaw Shuffle
  • RUIKE P801 Frame Lock
  • Lately been checking out a new LAPG TBFK in S35VN and impressed so far for $30.
2. Then if I’m working and specifically require something else, I may any one of many harder use and/or end purpose built knives to supplement any EDC on me.

3. Then I have some nicer dress or gentlemen’s knives of various types, depending on the occasion.

You should always carry what you feel is the right tool for the job; But I do understand being reluctant to bang up an expensive piece. Then again, it’s propably built for it, if it’s proper “high-end”. It’s hard to let yourself do sometimes. But a real quality tool wants to be used in the end I feel anyway.

Back