Beautiful...but not quite what I ordered. M43.

So I just received my order from Yangdu, it came in yesterday but wasn't able to receive it at home so had to pick it up at the post office today(As always fast shipping from Yangdu).

Made my order of a 18 inch 25 oz horn handle M43 with white metal fittings a little over two months ago and waited patiently but with great anticipation as an M43 around these specifications was my dream/grail knife/khukuri especially since I'm a bit smaller than the average guy/westerner(5'5").

Opened up the package to find a very beautiful M43 khukuri, though not exactly what I ordered, measuring in 18.5" and weighing in at a hefty 31 oz, this M43 is a beast of a knife, makes my CAK look puny by comparison.

To Yangdu's credit she did enclose a note saying the Kami's made it 31 oz instead of 25 oz to let me know and also said it felt balanced in hand(understatement, it is very excellently balanced) and that if I had any problems to let her know.

Sent her an E-mail letting her know that while it was a beautiful khukuri it wasn't what I had in mind and was a little disappointed in the end result. Asked her if the kami's could try again to make something a little closer to my specifications, not really interested in a refund, just something closer to what I ordered, don't even mind sending this one back to her.

Other small caveats the butt cap seems to be more chitlangi style as it is very rounded in comparison to the seemingly flat ones I've seen before which may have added to the weight, and the horn handle has some very deep scars in it. Otherwise a very beautiful and fearsome khukuri, near perfection, just not what I ordered.

I know that in the end Yangdu will make things right, I have never encountered better customer service nor better khukuri's before I came across Himalayan Imports. Just a bit sad knowing I'll have to wait again but I know it'll be worth the wait, beautiful works of art per Himalayn Imports are always worth the wait.

Please excuse my rambling/venting, to make up for it I enclose some eye candy of the beautiful beast of a knife I received though sorry for the crappy quality pictures. Thank you all for listening.

That has to be disappointing, particularly after waiting for it to be delivered. You're taking it a lot better than I would have. You were specific about what you wanted, there are multiple issues and they shipped it to you anyway knowing full well it didn't meet your spec's. I know a lot of people here hold HI in high regard, but that's really messed up and simply put, bad business. The knives are hand crafted, there are going to be variances, but that's a bit much.

As a security contractor I take my gear seriously. There's a saying used by people in my field (military, law enforcement, etc.), the gist is 'ounces magically add up and equal pounds'. If this was part of your load out/gear, ditch bag, etc. the weight difference alone could be a killer. With what I'm guessing you paid for a special order item I wouldn't settle just because the knife you received is pretty. Hell it's a kukri, most of them are beautiful by design alone, that's what initially drew me to them. Hopefully they'll take good care of you and get you the knife you ordered or a full refund. Good luck!

I will absolutely buy this if you send it back to yangdu-- also security contracting is hardly forging steel with your hands and barely any modern equipment-- Hand made means hand made--(@) jax lol -security contractor is not equivalent to a blacksmith- I challenge you to produce any product that even approaches the quality and service of HI, anywhere. even one-- HI has changed locations in the past few months, hired new kami and basically reshuffled their infrastructure entire, plus they are dealing with mandatory black outs because of the low water in nepal.
either way there is no reason ever to get "sassy" with HI, NEVER, not even one, and if I hear about it.....

also by security contractor do you mean mercenary? or are you an actual government worker?

Last edited:
I will absolutely buy this if you send it back to yangdu

And if Gehazi is looking the other way when the idea of selling crosses your mind... I'll will buy it right away. Don't tell Gehazi dough. I like him and don't want any problem with the guy.

it is a beautiful m43 , i love the horn handle, and the smooth curve, as everyone has already agreed is a work of art even if not to spec, and im sure yangdu can sell this for full price if he needs to send it back

Gehazi, had this blade been made by any other company the overwhelming response here would have been "Should have known better and dealt with HI!!! They'd never let anything like that happen to one of their customers!!!"...

Hand crafted or not, the knife was 'knowingly' shipped with a note stating it was the wrong weight. Shuffling facilities, lack of electricity, new kami's, made on a Monday, that's wrong any way you slice it.

Yes id do the same. But you gotta understand Auntie is trying to communicate these specs through a third world country, new shop manager , new shop, etc. and end up with a desired product shipped directly from Nepal to the US with language barrier etc. Personally I think she does pretty dang good. What would you do if your customer waited three months for a product and and your customer had nothing. Id do exactly what she did. Put a note in with apologies and send it anyway to see if it was acceptable to you and if not make it over again. I think I already know the outcome of this story and as frustrating as it might be the outcome will be good. That is a beautiful blade and id buy it too. Aunti always makes you a sweet deal in the end. If we forumites and customers were intolerant to human error none of us would have these khuks and the art these kamis give us would be a dying craft sooner than later. Keeping this trade alive the best way humanly possible and providing timely customer satisfaction is not bad business in my book. I think Aleous knows this jaxdave. Hes understandably frustrated and who wouldnt be. A simple email or phone call and it will be a done deal!

Ndoghouse, I agree with just about everything you said. I'm familiar with the limitations in third world and/or underdeveloped countries. Still, a simple email warning the blade can't be balanced at the requested weight, a heads up on the other issues and confirming it was ok to ship in that condition seems like the better way to go.

I'm sorry your special order did not come in as requested. Email Auntie for replacement or refund.

Even on the best of days, it was always trying for Uncle and Auntie to get new designs and special orders to work out right
I'm beginning to think it's time I discussed the possibility of discontinuing the special order practice.
Not only does it interrupt the normal flow of khukuri making in the shop, it seems more often than not to upset our customers.
With all the political, logistical and other problems that we are already up against, having another problem is the last thing we need.

Still, a simple email warning the blade can't be balanced at the requested weight, a heads up on the other issues and confirming it was ok to ship in that condition seems like the better way to go.

This is a valid point, unfortunately it cannot be undone.

Aleous is just venting his reasonable deception. That's understandable. He knows who he is dealing with and he is still confident in the product and the service.

I know that in the end Yangdu will make things right, I have never encountered better customer service nor better khukuri's before I came across Himalayan Imports. Just a bit sad knowing I'll have to wait again but I know it'll be worth the wait, beautiful works of art per Himalayn Imports are always worth the wait.

If I had a 18inch piece in the 25 ounce range, I would offer a trade with your M43 (+extra if of a lesser value than yours) but I don't.

Maybe some other forumites with a blade closer to your specs might want to slip in?

I'm beginning to think it's time I discussed the possibility of discontinuing the special order practice.
Not only does it interrupt the normal flow of khukuri making in the shop, it seems more often than not to upset our customers.
With all the political, logistical and other problems that we are already up against, having another problem is the last thing we need.

:eek: Oh... I will understand if you go that route.

But for what it worth, I cast my single customer vote against the idea of dropping special orders.

I am only against dropping special orders before mine are done :D, afterwards I fully support it , especially if therre is enough money made on stock HI items-- or or, you have to buy 1k in stock items before you can get a custom? I would offer to trade him a m43 but I tend to keep any of those that come my way

Last edited:
It's a bummer when things don't work out, but Yangdu will make it right.

Many years ago, Uncle Bill stopped taking custom orders for some of the same reasons. Basically, he was too sick to deal with the stress. Communicating with kamis from the other side of the planet is somewhat like herding cats.

She'll make it right, and I'm sure she more than appreciates your patience. Trust me. The kamis are not trying to sneak anything past anyone. It didn't come in at ordered spec so instead of just offering a refund or asking the customer to wait, Yangdu shipped the knife to him to see if he liked it. Many times a balanced knife can weigh more without issue. You have to handle it to see. She wasn't trying to pass it off as "good enough".

Wow, didn't think I'd get so many responses, thanks all.

Let me start by saying that I am in NO way upset, angry, or frustrated at HI, the kami's, or Yangdu. I wholly understand how hard it is to make a hand made product to custom specifications which is why I was prepared for a little variation.

Also understand the difficulties HI has been through these last couple of months with the site changes, manager shifts, power outages, and never ending orders, yet even with all these problems they were still able to churn out a beautiful M43 in a relatively timely manner despite all these hardships. This Khukuri is a work of art, no question.

Like I said before I'm not really interested in a refund if I would be able to get something closer to my specs, also even though this khuk is not to my specs will still be a little difficult letting it go, it's such beautiful Nepali art and a perfectly balanced weapon.

If I had all the money in the world I would keep this one and just order another one to give the kami's another try at my specs, sadly I'm just a part timer and student so money's tight, and this is the last large expenditure I'm allowing myself for a long time.

Also if it is troubling to everyone at HI I support the discontinuation of customs but please, please, let me get mine before you do! It really is my dream/grail knife/khukuri to get an M43 around my said specs.

Again thank you all for your support. HI has taught me patience, and that it will be rewarded in the end, it's art is worth the wait . I know I'll be very satisfied in the end, and that's all that matters. :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure you can make an 18" M43 with just 25 oz weight. Most 18" M43's are between 31 and 37 oz, and mine is 31.4 oz.

How to cut those 8+ ounces? thinner? shorter? with fullers? with cutout's? Anybody can answer this question?

Last edited:
I'm not sure it can be done either, Even though I have an 18" CAK which weighs in at 29oz's.
It will have to be slimmer overall with a skinnier handle.

I have seen M43's in the past as low as 24-25 oz, around 17-18 inch length, though one of them for sure was made by Bura and I'm sure he was in a league of his own.

Also have seen world war era and modern mk2/m43 well below or around that so I didn't think it was unreasonable/impossible request, I would feel bad if I was asking for such a thing.

And can I say I am very jealous of your 18" CAK Karda, it must be beautiful and a dream to wield, even though I love my CAk, it's 16.5" and 30 oz.

I personally wouldn't mind a slightly thinner blade/handle or a slightly shorter handle.

Back