Beautiful...but not quite what I ordered. M43.

Holy, that is one sweet looking knife, the one in black horn(or is that rosewood?) just pulls at my heart strings, thanks for the pics, it's a real shame they aren't made anymore but I guess my wallet should be thankful.

Holy, that is one sweet looking knife, the one in black horn just pulls at my heart strings, thanks for the pics, it's a real shame they aren't made anymore but I guess my wallet should be thankful.

Believe me, I really would have liked to see these continued. This style knife is about my favorite in the world. I'd love to have a Randall. I even asked a person whom was pretty knowledgeable about Randall if they ever gave permission because I would ask, he said "No". Another more knowledgeable person also said "Randall doesn't care, as long as you aren't using their mark". But in the end we are still left with the copying of others designs, which in the knife world is a very touchy subject. Some customers will not want to deal with you and give you holy whatfor for doing so. In case no ones noticed :D Integrity and Honesty come before want and pride (and money) with (Uncle), Auntie, Pala, I and HI in general. As much as we'd like to and even knowing we could sell them like hotcakes, we just couldn't justify it.

You would be hard pressed to find an HI M43 that wasn't beautiful, I for one personally think it would be impossible. Will always forever be my favorite khukuri model from HI, a true beauty.

If two months was a long wait... It currently takes 4 years once you click [purchase a Randall].

I'm sorry your special order did not come in as requested. Email Auntie for replacement or refund.

Even on the best of days, it was always trying for Uncle and Auntie to get new designs and special orders to work out right
I'm beginning to think it's time I discussed the possibility of discontinuing the special order practice.
Not only does it interrupt the normal flow of khukuri making in the shop, it seems more often than not to upset our customers.
With all the political, logistical and other problems that we are already up against, having another problem is the last thing we need.

Have you considered adding some more guidelines and rules for the special order practice?

I never seen the making of a Kuk from scratch.

Does the process involve significant wasted material between a metal bar cut off a suspension spring and the actual blade?

I don't even know if the springs are cut heated and reshape or melted into liquid metal then cast into shape.

Maybe HI could lean more towards "Special Runs" being interest driven. If there is enough interest and enough people could commit to a purchase then HI could build a small run much like the Bawanna Micro Bowie. That way the blade is offered as the Kamis built it and variations would not be subject to scrutiny. If someone doesnt like something about their knife then HI cant be held responsible because they accepted the design as a prototype and commited to it prior to manufacture. We as forumites understand it is a first run prototype and and are willing to accept the design based on conception ideas only. Some examples might be Hasiya, Kerambit, Spear Vala etc. If someone wants a Kora for example:thumbup: Post specs, determine interest, feasibility, commit, then buy. Order in... Done deal! May not be very different from the way HI does special runs today but this would be an alternative to custom orders having to be rebuilt disrupting Kami time and efficiency.

I am totally willing to submit anything from my collection ( kora or head hunting swords) to be used in special runs huzzah

Have you considered adding some more guidelines and rules for the special order practice?

Considered a lot and thought a lot about it actually. There is only one rule that has held true all these years in regards to special orders.
You can place all the special orders you'd like and rarely will you get a piece that comes back exactly to specs. People need to understand this going in.

I am totally willing to submit anything from my collection ( kora or head hunting swords) to be used in special runs huzzah

We never send any real knives for reproduction. Too much risk in losing the shipment in transit and too much risk of it being "lost" while in Nepal. Auntie does not want to be responsible for losing part of someones collection. It's why Berkley made a plaster cast of his Dui Chirra and sent it. Edutsi Yvsa spend much time making 1 to 1 scale models from wood. It still took many tries to get what we have today.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/one-time-knives.html
Scroll a little over 1/2 way down to the "Stubby Bowie".
It took several tries to get that bowie into the shape of what we have today.

Quite frankly:
Making a special order and then having it returned to be discounted and sold to another accepting customer is costly in materials, labor, shipping.....on down the line. These costs are always borne by the company. Only to have a customer disappointed in the end, I would just as soon prefer to see special ordering discontinued, rather than see the practice overburden the company, stress Auntie out and piss customers off. Aleous in very forgiving about this here, but I can guarantee you that not all customers are so forgiving. Some can get very demanding, nasty and quite insulting to a dear hardworking lady who does the best she can to please every day of her life. A person who I consider family.
A person and company who I myself have voluntarily devoted countless hours here nearly 24/7/365 in order to help to the point where I am just about played out and am unsure at this point how much longer I can continue. I would actually just prefer that HI focuses on producing our khukuri and making sales of them rather than all of the rigamarole we have to go thru with the special orders.

Do what is necessary to keep HI alive , that is all. We will stick with you guys.

I think that as westerner's we are spoiled when it comes to exact specifications of anything even remotely touching a custom order or even a regular order, we order something and expect to be exactly as we see in pictures, no deviations of any kind and when things are coming off an assembly line this can be held true for the most part but handmade things are a whole different animal, especially from a country like Nepal.

And as with anything spoiled it can be rotten(as Karda said people being rude/demanding/nasty/insulting). This is a sorry truth, it's especially disheartening that it happens to such a wonderful woman as Yangdu who is always giving her all or to the especially hardworking Karda. All I can say is you both are very greatly appreciated and looked up to and I thank you as I'm sure countless people have.

As far as my own order goes I saw it as more of a favor from Yangdu, bear in mind I didn't pay anything extra for my "special" order, I just asked if I could get something close to my said specs and Yangdu said it would be possible and made me feel elated. I did not feel in anything truly negative when I received and opened up my m43, I knew I would be taken care of, I have no worries.

If special orders are causing such wonderful people anything detrimental then by all means get rid of it, you will still have droves of loyal customers buying up all the beautiful works you produce.

Personally I'm sure you could resell any order at full price and people would still buy it. Especially the M43 model which everyone seems to love, have the kami's make a few and they will sell faster than you can say done deal, I guarantee it.

All that being said whatever happens, whether special orders are scrapped or not, I just hope I'll be able to get something a little closer to what I had in mind in the end, a lighter M43 is my dream, regardless I will always support HI.

"You can place all the special orders you'd like and rarely will you get a piece that comes back exactly to specs. People need to understand this going in."

I for one think the recent Bawanna Bowie must be an exception. Not even a sample, just some recommendations from Auntie and it came back perfect.
I recall the story of Uncle trying to have a special awl like tool replicated over there and the sample broke in transit. It took several trips and much conversation after they sent back exact duplicates of the broken awl more than once. I imagine it's sometimes tough to communicate a plan.

Have to remember also that there are some people who you could cut their legs off at the hip and they would still kick. Never happy or pleased with anything. Sadly they are also the same folks that are the most demanding, and wanting, and can be the biggest nuisance.

It's a shame they can't be sorted out on the initial conversation and just sent packing.

I've been thinking about becoming a professional hit man as a sideline. If anyones giving Auntie or Karda a hard time just let me know.

I'll even offer a new customer DOD, take out the first 2, get the third one free. Extra for pain and suffering of course. Naw, skip that, I specialize in pain and suffering so we'll throw that in for free too.

Long live HI and all of her people.

Love bawanna
Have Sharp pointy things will travel.

plus I think I can just buy antique dha and whatever HI makes, no need for HI head hunting dha :D

All that being said whatever happens, whether special orders are scrapped or not, I just hope I'll be able to get something a little closer to what I had in mind in the end, a lighter M43 is my dream, regardless I will always support HI.

I don't know if it's out of place to mention this here, but you might consider getting one of those old vintage WWII khukuris on which the M43 model is based. They're not really in competition with HI, anymore than an antique car is in competition with a new car, and there are plenty of them out there in good condition. The point is, they run significantly lighter weight than the same length and shape HI blade, which is what you want, and you can polish them up if you like.

There are some threads in the Cantina about the vintage blades, with some excellent pictures from forumites' collections.

Karda: If this is out of place here, feel free to move or edit it.

-- Dave

If customs are to costly/headachy for HI, simply increase the price of customs.
More profit for HI per custom order and a barrier for some not so serious customers.:)

Some other solutions already talked about here address the same issue. :)
If this is indeed the real issue then I think there can be many solutions. I wonder what Aunty is thinking about this.

Sorry Karda that you are tired out a bit.:( I guess nobody knows all the work you do behind the scenes. All we forum people see is your posts here. Any idea how we can help you?:thumbup:

I have looked at antique m43 but since I detest rust anything even touching HI in condition and fit in finish is way above my price range. Pristine condition historical khukuri come at a great price.

Sadly I don't believe raising the price on customs would solve the problem, if anything it would make people even more unreasonable if it didn't come up to their exact specs because they spent such and such amount.

And yes if theirs any way any of us can help/support HI please let us know.

I suppose it's ok, Dave.
My suggestion would be that he wait for one of the smaller version M-43's that were produced recently.
They are a bit shorter, but come in in a weight much closer to what he's looking for.

Believe me, I very much wish that we could keep a bunch of models always in stock. But as a limited production company with limited resources, it is a never ending almost impossible task. Auntie has already nearly sold the cupboards bare which makes things difficult for both her and customers.

Please all, understand that as a whole everyone at HI strives everyday to do our best, to serve our customers honestly and fairly as friends.

with this post I think I'm done for today. These last couple of posts have been particularly hard to make today and I'm needing to pay more attention to my health. For now I have suspended any supermod activity and am only trying to focus on my duties here.

Back