Beauty, Beast, Blems and Used Knives for 4/7

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Yangdu, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Umi

Umi

Apr 24, 2013
    Here are the delayed photos. Ive been thinking (usually a scary prelude,) the cho usually occupies this space. Perhaps this is not an issue? Or if I have a traditional cho put in the space, to prevent the crack from growing?

PLEASE HELP!! Any and all advice, thoughts, words with or without wisdom welcome [emoji51]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would have posted sooner, been extra busy at work, this is my second day off in the last 27 days.

2. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Yangdu is out of town I believe this weekend but I'd send her an email on that one.
    I know she has more of those Purna worked over westerns which are really nice by the way.

Being it's a slicer, kitchen type knife it will probably last forever anyhow. It's not a chopper.

But if it bugs you and I think it would bug me, I'm sure Yangdu would want to swap it out or refund or give you a further discount.

I don't think there's any true fix for that, the crack goes too far.

Just my thought, probably not even worth the 2 cents normally shared but thought I'd throw it out there.

3. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I agree with Mr. B!

4. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    I'm not a welder nor a blade smith. However, I've witnessed some wonderful repairs by a talented TIG welder. With some heat sinks it should not effect any tempering in that not so critical area. A little grinding and polishing should make it cosmetically passible if not invisible. Again, I'm not an expert. However, I'd Google it in an attempt to resurrect it before giving up the ghost. I'm certain others here far more knowledgeable than I can dispell my hypothesis if need be.

PS: You can always rely on some old stand byes like duct tape, bailing wire or super glue if all else fails.
    🤓

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. Umi

Umi

Apr 24, 2013
    Did I mention it IS a blem? I posted here cause this is the one above.

Thanks for the words BB, i mught try bailing wire and duct tape for a aftermath feel. [emoji846][emoji854][emoji846][emoji854]

6. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    It's a blem because she mentioned filling a hole in the handle. I'm pretty sure she just missed seeing that crack.
    She has an excellent eye and sees things I miss all the time.

I only mentioned contacting her because Yangdu lives to keep everybody very happy. If your not happy, she's not happy.

If theres one person on the planet who can please everybody all the time it's Yangdu.

I share your wish to not have to burden her or return it. I'd check into some of the things BB mentioned except for the bailing wire and duct tape. I keep that on hand for my Fords.

7. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
    I'm a Ford owner as well, why I have the stuff at hand.😐

8. timcsaw

timcsaw Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 25, 2007
    EMS for the "9 inch 5 ounce Patchar knife by Lachhu. Minor imperfection on satisal wood handle. $45."

Keeping my fingers crossed that it is still available.

9. Umi

Umi

Apr 24, 2013
    After much deliberating, im not going to bother any afore mentioned thoughts. Im using the camp knife in the kitchen, and happy with the slicer grind. IF I notice the crack growing, i will worry then.

Thanks for all the advice and words of wisdom Bawanna, and words, BB [emoji1]