Beaver tail question

So I have a beaver tail that I'm planning to use on the next sheath I make, and I think I'd like to keep the natural/tanned color. Do I need to oil, treat, or do anything special to it?

Thanks for the help.

Amy, if you oil it at all it will turn much darker. I have dyed a bunch of it both Black and Brown, but have never applied any oil. I have finished the Beaver tail using the same things I use to finish the rest of the sheath. ( TanKote and WyoSheen)((NeatLac)). A light coat of Neatsfoot won't hurt it if the color change doesn't bother you.

Paul

I've only used a little beaver tail but I got it from Sarah Hagel who is Bob Douglas's daughter and thats a pretty royal leather lineage. Anyhoo she sent me a little bottle of Blackrock Leather N Rich. She said it was what worked the best on beavertail. Worked for me and didn't really change the color. Pretty cool stuff.

Amy, if you oil it at all it will turn much darker. I have dyed a bunch of it both Black and Brown, but have never applied any oil. I have finished the Beaver tail using the same things I use to finish the rest of the sheath. ( TanKote and WyoSheen)((NeatLac)). A light coat of Neatsfoot won't hurt it if the color change doesn't bother you.

Paul
Thanks, Paul. That was my thinking, but I didn't want to find out the hard way and have the sheath ruined by my failure to ask.

I've only used a little beaver tail but I got it from Sarah Hagel who is Bob Douglas's daughter and thats a pretty royal leather lineage. Anyhoo she sent me a little bottle of Blackrock Leather N Rich. She said it was what worked the best on beavertail. Worked for me and didn't really change the color. Pretty cool stuff.
Thanks, Dave. I'll look into it. If I weren't leaving it natural, I wouldn't have given how to finish it off a second thought, probably.

I haven’t used Beaver tail but I’ve used a lot of things on leather sheaths and the Snow Seal that I use doesn’t seem to darken leather as much as some of the other oils like mink oil or meats foot oil does. Maybe worth looking at for you.

Back