Beaver Tooth Handle--Anyone Else Been Cheated?

Hi, all. I just had a bad experience with Beaver Tooth Handle Company that was made even worse by their handling of it. I'm wondering if others have been treated the same shoddy way.

I ordered from their website a 28" handle or a half/boy's single bit head I had (a 2-1/4lb True-Temper Flint Edge). The description on the site said that the eye size was 2" x 5/8", so I ordered. What came was 28", but the eye size was MUCH smaller, 1-3/4" x 1/2".

I pointed out this error, and asked about an exchange. They responded that I'd ordered a 1-7/8" x 9/16" eye (Nevermind that what I received wasn't even THAT size). When I then directed them to the two places on their site and Facebook page where the 2" dimension is advertised, they responded: "You got what you ordered."

No apology, no offer to make it right.

Now I have wasted my money on an axe handle that will only fit a hatchet I will never own.

Anyone else been treated this way? Are they this sloppy with all orders and rude to customers?

Thanks.

Hi, all. I just had a bad experience with Beaver Tooth Handle Company that was made even worse by their handling of it. I'm wondering if others have been treated the same shoddy way.

I ordered from their website a 28" handle or a half/boy's single bit head I had (a 2-1/4lb True-Temper Flint Edge). The description on the site said that the eye size was 2" x 5/8", so I ordered. What came was 28", but the eye size was MUCH smaller, 1-3/4" x 1/2".

I pointed out this error, and asked about an exchange. They responded that I'd ordered a 1-7/8" x 9/16" eye (Nevermind that what I received wasn't even THAT size). When I then directed them to the two places on their site and Facebook page where the 2" dimension is advertised, they responded: "You got what you ordered."

No apology, no offer to make it right.

Now I have wasted my money on an axe handle that will only fit a hatchet I will never own.

Anyone else been treated this way? Are they this sloppy with all orders and rude to customers?

Thanks.
No I have not, but was just looking yesterday and am now glad I didn't order one.

BTW if I may ask how much was your grand total for the handle ?

No I have not, but was just looking yesterday and am now glad I didn't order one.

BTW if I may ask how much was your grand total for the handle ?

The price was enough in total: $18.00, minus a 10% promotion, plus $10.28 shipping. So $27.08

If I send it back, it will cost me at least $10 more. And frankly, how can I trust them after what they've done and said so far?

mine have been just fine, most of the heads i find are below dimension anyway so a small eye is really nice. it means i have to do WAY less fitting. the wedge takes a lot of space out of the equation so i see a small eye as fantastic

mine have been just fine, most of the heads i find are below dimension anyway so a small eye is really nice. it means i have to do WAY less fitting. the wedge takes a lot of space out of the equation so i see a small eye as fantastic

Hmm, you prefer your handle wood not to touch the steel eye anywhere before the wedge is driven? No matter how much the wedge widens the kerf, there's gonna be daylight all around this, especially front and back. What am I missing here?

Hmm, you prefer your handle wood not to touch the steel eye anywhere before the wedge is driven? No matter how much the wedge widens the kerf, there's gonna be daylight all around this, especially front and back. What am I missing here?
no, wedge fills the gap. on my beaver tooth hangs i dont have gaps, anywhere. even on my sager with its over-sized (or normal sized, not sure) eye. what i was trying to say is i have so shave the wood down to that size anyway so its good to have a smaller eye in my experience

Hmm, so you think this it is right?

I had a similar issue recently. I ordered 2 24" handles with eyes supposedly sized for boys axes. Also a handle described a 24" that was supposed to have a minor blemish, priced somewhat cheaper. The blem was unusable, kerf way off center and cut to the bottom of the eye. The 2 other handles had eyes way too small for a boys axe head. I had a 24" from a previous order, and compared the old to the new, the older one was sized properly, the new ones not even close. I then emailed the company. Got a refund on the blem, and their response on the other 2 was that they were sized properly. When I replied that I compared old to new handles from them and they were quite different, was basically told that's how we make them and that's what you ordered. Needless to say I was not too pleased. Never again.

I'm glad I saw this. I have several axe and maul heads to hang, and I'm not very knowledgeable on these things yet.

I was a customer service supervisor for four years in a previous job, and I just can't fathom the idea of treating a customer like that. For every customer treated that way, several more are lost or don't even initiate new business with you. I learned that the hard way.

~Chris

Hmm, so you think this it is right?

i cant see it, i was saying that for me, it was fine. if its a problem for you, get a different handle. i wasnt trying to start some beef, just saying that i didnt have an issue with them

I'm glad I saw this. I have several axe and maul heads to hang, and I'm not very knowledgeable on these things yet.

I was a customer service supervisor for four years in a previous job, and I just can't fathom the idea of treating a customer like that. For every customer treated that way, several more are lost or don't even initiate new business with you. I learned that the hard way.

~Chris
orca he's a one man shop and it's fairly popular, a 1-2 weeks ago several handles were out of stock likely due to a rush of orders so the owner might be overworked and stressed

2 separate people had 2 similar incidents of not getting what they ordered, then basically told tough poop?

That's enough for me not to order from them.

Besides, those prices are astronomical!
I get very nice handles at flea markets and the HIGHEST I have paid is $9.50.
Those are ash handles, not hickory though.

This is unacceptable, and I will never use them because of this story. Mistakes happen, but you can't just take people's money and tell them to eff-off.

As frustrated as I have been at times with House Handle quality control, I can say that they have always made problems right.

2 separate people had 2 similar incidents of not getting what they ordered, then basically told tough poop?

That's enough for me not to order from them.

Besides, those prices are astronomical!
I get very nice handles at flea markets and the HIGHEST I have paid is $9.50.
Those are ash handles, not hickory though.

I don't want any beef either, but when you advertise X, and you accept payment for X, and you ship out Y, don't you think you ought to make it right?

I was straight-up sincere when I asked here if that photo looks like a good fit. I've only hung around 6 axes. I sent Beaver Tooth the very same photo. What did they do? Zip. If I'm green or if I'm wrong, all it would've taken is them telling me: It'll fit your 2-1/4" x 5/8" eye. Try it. If it doesn't fit, we'll send you the advertised one." Then I would have been happy even if it HADN'T worked.

I don't want any beef either, but when you advertise X, and you accept payment for X, and you ship out Y, don't you think you ought to make it right?

I was straight-up sincere when I asked here if that photo looks like a good fit. I've only hung around 6 axes. I sent Beaver Tooth the very same photo. What did they do? Zip. If I'm green or if I'm wrong, all it would've taken is them telling me: It'll fit your 2-1/4" x 5/8" eye. Try it. If it doesn't fit, we'll send you the advertised one." Then I would have been happy even if it HADN'T worked.
You ain't wrong.
My understanding is that they do have some nice handles, but when I look at the web site it seems that they are unloading a bunch of rejects also. Not sure what to make of them but not having what I need in stock when I need them has kept me from ever ordering anything from them. Little chance I even look that way again.

well, he's really my only option since house handle hates my email, they end up being about the same price for me. the only issue is beaver takes longer. i'm mostly defending him because he's my only option for a handle shorter than 36"

...he's my only option for a handle shorter than 36"

I stumbled upon the site for JNSTools (dot com) which has a wide range of Tennessee Hickory Handles available:

Single bit axe handles in these sizes: 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31. 32, 33 , 34, 35, 36, 38

Double bit axe handles: 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36

well, he's really my only option since house handle hates my email, they end up being about the same price for me. the only issue is beaver takes longer. i'm mostly defending him because he's my only option for a handle shorter than 36"

I've found a couple of local suppliers of Tennessee Hickory products. One is an independent hardware store, the other is a chainsaw shop. TH stuff comes very thick and requires some work. But in my experience it has been the very finest white 2nd growth hickory.

You could ask TH for names of local suppliers.

I stumbled upon the site for JNSTools (dot com) which has a wide range of Tennessee Hickory Handles available:

Single bit axe handles in these sizes: 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31. 32, 33 , 34, 35, 36, 38

Double bit axe handles: 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36

That's a great resource.

I doubt they could stock the entire TH line like that. They must order as needed. I wonder how long their service takes?

Last edited:
Back