Becker Dutch Baby

Someone in this forum mentioned or posted a Dutch Baby a while back. After a Google search I decided to try my hand at one. Surprisingly easy to make, and one of my new favorite breakfasts! This is why I love this forum. Blades and food.
8zCMq9m.jpg

vDlcm6y.jpg

Looks good! What's in it? Looks like egg custard of some sort. If it was cooked in cast iron, it's gotta be tasty!

That's really all it is, a baked custard. Surprisingly easy to make:
Heat oven to 425
Add 3 eggs, 1/2 cup of flour, 2/3 cup of milk, spoonful of vanilla extract, shake of cinnamon, and a shake of salt to a blender.

Blend until smooth.
Put your cast iron skillet on the stove on high, then add 3 tablespoons of butter and melt completely. Turn burner off and pour the contents of the blender into the pan from the center.
Bake for 20-30 minutes. Mine took 25, but my oven runs hot.

After it came put, I topped the whole thing with some melted butter and sprinkled a little bit of sugar on top. Usually served like a pancake with syrup of fruits on top. Recipe was courtesy of a site called "Foodwishes", but I tweaked it with more vanilla, and cinnamon. The original also called for powdered sugar, which I didn't have.

Heat oven to 425
Add 3 eggs, 1/2 cup of flour, 2/3 cup of milk, spoonful of vanilla extract, shake of cinnamon, and a shake of salt to a blender.

Blend until smooth.
Put your cast iron skillet on the stove on high, then add 3 tablespoons of butter and melt completely. Turn burner off and pour the contents of the blender into the pan from the center.

After it came put, I topped the whole thing with some melted butter and sprinkled a little bit of sugar on top. Usually served like a pancake with syrup of fruits on top. Recipe was courtesy of a site called "Foodwishes", but I tweaked it with more vanilla, and cinnamon. The original also called for powdered sugar, which I didn't have.

Thank you! I'm gonna try this!

Heat oven to 425

Blend until smooth.

Thats gonna happen!!!! Thanks Mean Beaver

Thanks for posting the recipe! Everything's better with cast iron around it! I'm always looking for recipes that will convince my wife that my cast iron pan should always sit ready at a moment's notice on the stove top...that looks like a keeper...

view

Never heard of that before. Hats off to you for using cast iron. I only cook in cast iron. There is a learning curve but it's worth it.

I'm not as fancy as you, mostly corn muffins and eggs and omlettes.

Last edited:
I am definitely looking forward to trying this out, it looks an awful lot like what I know as a German pancake. Will have to try this out and report back.

Back