Becker East Fall 2016 Gathering

I might be able to scrounge up a rr spike or two. It would be fun to forge something out of one

My only input (for the moment) is that it is more efficient to cook on the ridge for a large group than it is in the kitchen (meaning for breakfast,that skillet is massive and holds a LOT of food. And it just makes everything taste better).
Let the 'women in the kitchen' hating begin. Even though I technically did keep it kitchen related!

so you're saying I should bring the 30k BTU burner for the big skillet and the chili pot?

I can bring Some 1/4 5160 and some. 5/32 52100 as well. Does ethan have a kiln and stuff there?

Sent from my RS987 using Tapatalk

To answer any of the newbies questions as far as Ethans shop ill try to address some......

Ethans shop is not necessarily set up as a knife makers shop. Its a hobbiest type shop, lots of wood working tools and a few knick knacks that will more than suffice for forming or deforming metal including a varible speed 2 X 72 grinder.

Having said that. Ethan is very gracious about letting people use his shop and his stuff. The first rule of thumb to remember is its his shop, his rules and if you act stupid and irresponsile chances are myself or Vik will polietly ask you to not come back.

....also, Ethan does not and should not provide specifics. If your thinking you want to play in the shop you might what to plan ahead of time. There are grinding belts there but its always poliet to chip in and bring a few if you think you may be using it considerably. Definately bring some saftey glasses, gloves if you think you need them and anything else you want to use or share. Scrap pieces of steel are always welcome and appreiated.

There will be or at least usually is a forge and anvil there to play with brought by Erik, a lot of fun is always had with it, and it also doubles as our vice for heat treating. Ethan does not have a heat treat oven. Remember, this is all for fun, sharing and learning . If you want a knife maker to help you make a $500. knife for free this weekend, stay home. (I say that because its happened before)

Its common sense and common courtesy really. If you have either one of those you will all be more than fine.

And if you have no experience whatsoever in or around a shop and tools but want to learn, thats totally fine and welcomed as well. Myself, Erik and others will be around to help, answer any questions and help with any projects.

And dont forget to help pitch in and leave Ethans shop in better condition as we found it. We only have this opprotunity because of him.

Last edited:
I'll bring some assorted copper wire for pins or whatever else folks can use it for. I have #4,6,&8 bare. I'll try to dig out some old buss bars if I can find them. I have some old Hickory's I'll fart around with.

My buddy has just confirmed he will be coming and bringing a couple of belts, some forged knives he's made, and some odds and ends of steel. Also a hammock😂

I can bring Some 1/4 5160 and some. 5/32 52100 as well. Does ethan have a kiln and stuff there?

Sent from my RS987 using Tapatalk

in years past we used a toaster oven for tempering -- but I think the actual owner finally remembered to take it home after the spring gathering.

Need to add- 1 friend will be with us all weekend. Another will be visiting for a day-ish, which Uncle E already knows about.

cool.
do we need to keep your hubby and Derek out of sight so they keep being your friend?

anyone have an lt wright bushcrafter? im thinking about attempting to make something like it and would like to be able to see one in person.

Well I just got confirmation that Sam is going to make it this year. We talked the other day and he was able to get off. Will be good to spend the weekend with him again.

Well I just got confirmation that Sam is going to make it this year. We talked the other day and he was able to get off. Will be good to spend the weekend with him again.

I'm scaring myself a little here, but that is actually good news!

here's a question -- how many want to camp up on the ridge and how many would like to do a repeat of the "sprawling house party"
even if folks prefer the ridge, we will probably be doing suppers on the patio.

The shop porch is a fine place for hammocking, so I can do house party.

But I think the ridge is better suited for our mass breakfasts. Also, tents and hammocks set up around the house and shop may get in the way of parking and activities.

I will be in attendance, provided nothing massive happens to derail my plans. (Always the opportunity for that to happen after all.)

Back