Becker Fall Gathering chat thread

I hear ya Salty. This is the first I've missed since my first gathering. On top of that, my weekend turned to total $#!+ And I just kept shaking my head saying to myself "I shoulda just went to TN..."

I hate I missed the philistine heathen godless savage chit chat around the fire.

Last spring I had about the best sleep I've ever had in my life hanging in the hammock over the tractor bucket at the shop with the rain beating on the tin roof.
This weekend included one night sleeping in the Jeep, one of the worst sleeps ever!

Not to mention my internet has been down since Friday with...

Lesson learned!
Gonna be hard to make me kiss another!

looking forward to pics!

I gained 10 pounds over the past 7 days.
I am assuming a significant fraction of that is salt overload/water weight, but not all of it.
we ate like bears expecting an early winter.

and I owe E some extra gratitude for killing the copperhead in the tree stump 4' from my hammock Saturday evening.
(I was not in the hammock at the time.......)

Looks like good times, good memories and good eating!

I'll be sure to make the next one.

I was rather lax on picture taking this time, usually too busy cooking to get pictures of the food.

The camping setups

I hung in a different location than usual, and I think this was my favorite of all my hammock setups on Becker Mountain.

FvqOTeth.jpg

Some people prefer tents.

pYYhL6nh.jpg

The road to camp.

v13euJqh.jpg

x23NCLCh.jpg

My pack frame loaded and ready

zxJv9bQh.jpg

This is the current configuration of my bottle kit, pared down to the basest minimal necessities.

3gPh8Guh.jpg

Brought this stubby hatchet, it put a big grin on Gutsy's face when I showed it to him.

W6KHPJKh.jpg

Beckerheads, copperheads, and scorpions, oh my.

My first Gathering and what a weekend! I sincerely appreciate y'all making the new guy feel welcome. Good folks, good food and good times for sure.

Glad to see many have checked in after making it home safely - especially those that drove the greatest distances.

A special thanks to our host for his friendship, hospitality and generosity.

I apologize to those in neighboring campsites for my chainsaw hooked up to a wah-wah pedal snoring.

Daniel, Katie, and myself have all made it back safely. We stopped off at Bass Pro and that ate up a good bit of time. Pics once I get them off the camera.

I was rather lax on picture taking this time, usually too busy cooking to get pictures of the food.

The camping setups

I hung in a different location than usual, and I think this was my favorite of all my hammock setups on Becker Mountain.

FvqOTeth.jpg

Some people prefer tents.

pYYhL6nh.jpg

The road to camp.

v13euJqh.jpg

x23NCLCh.jpg

My pack frame loaded and ready

zxJv9bQh.jpg

This is the current configuration of my bottle kit, pared down to the basest minimal necessities.

3gPh8Guh.jpg

Brought this stubby hatchet, it put a big grin on Gutsy's face when I showed it to him.

W6KHPJKh.jpg

Thanks for the pics! One of these days, my wife and I are going to make one of these gatherings! Hopefully we'll be in hammock by then. We're in transitioning stage from tent to hammock......but unsure about how to stay warm during the winter months!

Thanks for the links Guyon! Great reads both.

Living in Texas makes for a long trip but I would love to make it at least once!!

Beckerhead #32

The BeckerHeads are a generous and helpful bunch of people. As always, many thanks are in order.

Ethan opens up his home and property to us hooligans and, each time, makes sure that all are comfortable and well fed. More importantly, he shares his friendship, knowledge, and stories.

Dogwood Dan deserves a mention for cooking an excellent hog, providing knives for the giveaway, and providing us with a Friday afternoon activity of unsticking a Ford pickup on a rough trail.

Thanks to Knifejunkie for the BeckerHead patch, and LMF Joe for bringing a whole sack of micarta grips to sell. I picked up a BK5 from Vik. Thanks to Philip and Jason for the cooking assistance, and I even got Murph to combine the butter and flour for the biscuits.

Of course, pretty much everyone present provided interesting conversation, brought knives to check out, told good stories, and were just generally good people to be around.

And finally, be assured that I will put in some more practice time with my 10/22 so I won't miss the copperhead next time.

woof. drove 1018 miles straight home, got to bed at 3:30ish, up for work. now i need a power nap. posted many pix to FB... in time, more, and some here :D

Back