Becker innovation - need more of it

I’d like to throw out into the universe that I’d like to see some new designs, functional designs, that stay in production for longer than a sprint run of 200-400 blades.

I really want to see the innovation come back to this Becker product line. Warrior mentioned a few days back about the buzz of anticipation when the tweeners were being designed and launched. That made for great times around here! The air was ripe with innovation and creativity. Ethan was heavily involved in the community and was constantly looking for was to improve his designs.

Since that time, we’ve gotten a few sprint runs of awesome choppers (the BK20 should remain in full production), the Bk62, a harpoon thrown on a tweener spine (hardly innovative and not a game changer), and the cheap Chinese folder that will have Ethan’s name on it (not convinced he had anything to do with it).

This community, and Warrior in particular, has designed many thoughtful blade profiles that aren’t just modifications, but new designs for different functions that would be game changers-some were absolute home runs! Certainly, Kabar doesn’t come to Bladeforums for design ideas, but why not? We buy and use the blades more than most and would give the most helpful and practical feedback.

When I think of this type of collaboration, the BK14 comes to mind. For those of you that don’t know, that was the brainchild of a member here that welded the handle of an ESEE Izula and the blade of a BK11. Ethan loved it and went to ESEE and they quickly put it into production.

Cheap Chinese folders won’t expand your customer base that believes you make quality products. That’s what Kabar wants to be known for.... right?

Beckerhead #32

Last edited:
Ive noticed a lot of the time, ethans knives are from a collaboration with him and another designer. Like jerry fisk, hank reinhardt, horace kephart (they dont need to be alive and not a collab at all really), doug ritter, and an inhouse kabar designer for the 18. The best innovation comes from when minds work together.

A thread for possible designers we would like to see work with ethan could be inspiring

I absolutely agree with this. :thumbsup:

In the time I’ve been around, I’ve seen the following come out:

The BK98 Tuko - awesome design in quality materials but was only a sprint and had a high price tag that was prohibitive. Generated decent buzz. I bought one, should have gotten two.

The BK62 - classic Kephart design that had long been requested. This was a dream knife realized. Generated sustained massive buzz here. I bought six, now down to three. This was a very big deal on the forum!

The BK18 - nice design but it didn’t generate the hype of the 62. I think it was just seen as another good tweener. I bought four.

The BK40 folder - could have been a contender. Unfortunately, for a lot of us it really missed the mark in both materials and in where it’s being manufactured. I don’t know if or how many I’ll pick up. I want to support Ethan and KA-BAR but with my current collection of quality folders, from Ontario Rats to Chris Reeve Sebenzas and everything in between, I don’t know why I’d need this.

Besides what bush-haus bush-haus requested with new and innovative designs, I wouldn’t mind seeing some retired designs come back with a modern material change. Something that always comes to mind is the BK15 in s35vn stainless steel. That would be sweet! :)

Ive noticed a lot of the time, ethans knives are from a collaboration with him and another designer. Like jerry fisk, hank reinhardt, horace kephart (they dont need to be alive and not a collab at all really), doug ritter, and an inhouse kabar designer for the 18. The best innovation comes from when minds work together.

A thread for possible designers we would like to see work with ethan could be inspiring

I agree totally with this! If only we had enough influence to suggest these powerhouses work together on projects. Many great ideas have been mentioned in this little corner in the past, but love the idea of continuing the tradition of Ethan working with others to further his current designs and bring new ones to light.

When I think of this type of collaboration, the BK14 comes to mind. For those of you that don’t know, that was the brainchild of a member here that welded the handle of an ESEE Izula and the blade of a BK11. Ethan loved it and went to ESEE and they quickly put it into production.
Beckerhead #32
PropThePolecat: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/birth-of-the-neckula.646719/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/becker-bk14-eskabar-is-officially-named.747404/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/look-what-ethan-sent-me.725713/

There's a link on this post for all the photos: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/birth-of-the-neckula.646719/page-3#post-6888860

I have seen renderings here, worth the Becker name, but after the BK62 things really quieted down.

Just some thoughts:

BK2 L
Wharncliff Tweener
BK20 as a production knife
BK11 Folder with a sturdy backlock
BK14 2 (With the Izula 2 handle length)

So many ideas here, also Kabar could upgrade some steels: i.e.: a BK9 in 3V... etc...

That would surely generate interest, even for people not currently using Beckers...

Well, after all this craziness with Covid and for many a hard year, something to look forward to would be really appreciated.

I have seen renderings here, worth the Becker name, but after the BK62 things really quieted down.

Just some thoughts:

BK2 L
Wharncliff Tweener
BK20 as a production knife
BK11 Folder with a sturdy backlock
BK14 2 (With the Izula 2 handle length)

So many ideas here, also Kabar could upgrade some steels: i.e.: a BK9 in 3V... etc...

That would surely generate interest, even for people not currently using Beckers...

Well, after all this craziness with Covid and for many a hard year, something to look forward to would be really appreciated.

I would buy everything you just mentioned. These all would generate a ton of interest! I understand they are going after the uninformed with their folders, but they could go after the higher end market wanting better steels as well and be a triple threat!

Beckerhead #32

Someone say, BK2L?

Kind of like the looks of the BK2 with a straight clip, and choil:

BK2Plus, My first "mod" here:

Just throw this out there. BK9, with a BK2 front end:

These are grand slams Warrior! I’ve had a BK9 for 10 years, the very same one. I have chopped countless limbs and trees down and have split hundreds of logs. Could I use an axe? Yup, but I like knives.

The excitement of those designs and the anticipation of Kabar and Ethan actually making them a reality keeps me coming back here. I would LOVE to see the BK20 come to full production.

Beckerhead #32

I had two BK20's, sold them both. The first I took to the cabin and put it through the paces. Liked it a lot, great knife. The reason I sold it, was because although it works well, I liked the BK9 better. Smaller, lighter, etc. Then I bought another, with a kydex sheath, that was such a good deal, I couldn't refuse. Sold it for the same reason as the first one. Don't keep knives that don't get used much.

The Warrior The Warrior ...
and that is the reason we'd need a 7-8 Inch BK2 L :)

Long enough to be working as a chopper, still a nimble but mighty beast.

It would be interesting to have Ethan's thoughts about it, but he seems not to be online much after the BK62 development.

I was just thinking the same thing, would be nice to have some of you who have direct contact to reach out and see if he would tease what’s on the horizon. I am sure that Kabar keeps him on a short leash when it comes to outing new products, but would at least be helpful to know that more designs are coming that are more on the lines of what we are talking about here.

Beckerhead #32

A lot going on for new designs to come out.
The folder is not what I wanted but most people wouldn’t pay real money for a American folder.
The 62 and the 18 are great knives.
I’ve seen very little on the 18 other than someone getting new scales or a new sheath.
Get out and use the great designs already out there.
And with that said, I also would love to see some new knife designs.

Last edited:
Back