Becker innovation - need more of it

Until you run a business, nobody knows beforehand what it takes to run that business, until the steady flow of cash starts coming in. Then you have a budget to work with. You figure this would be bare bones knowledge to someone with an MBA.

Q: What's the difference between theory and practice?
A: In THEORY, there is no difference...

Your very first post was condescending towards the price of Beckers. Telling folks to STFU and now you want educated discourse? I'm sure a mod will come along shortly.
Until you run a business, nobody knows beforehand what it takes to run that business, until the steady flow of cash starts coming in. Then you have a budget to work with. You figure this would be bare bones knowledge to someone with an MBA.
OK. You are a moron. I get it now. I've never run a business and don't understand budgeting and financial accounting. I insulted a knife, and you took a stand to defend it. I mad a comment your best buddy didn't like, and you are here to save him. My God why did I post on Blade Forum hahaha.

don't forget - every step in the distribution chain adds 20% (or more) to the final cost.
Having worked with wholesale distributors in the past, I am aware that my item cost from the wholesaler was 50%-60% of MSRP.
Shipping and handling were on top of that.
If you figure the wholesale distributor has a 50% markup, a knife that has an MSRP of $90 costs $30 to make and cover overhead for the manufacturer.
the wholesaler sells it for $45 (50% markup) plus shipping.
The retailer is in it for $50 and sells it for $75 (50% markup) if he's lucky, so he can cover overhead as well.

flip side - since you used the example of China.
the knife company is underwritten by the government, the employees are paid a subsistence wage, and the shipping company is also subsidized by their government.
Then you add in trade incentives - which reimburses the parent government for a chunk of their costs.
That's how you get a similar size and shaped knife made from similar materials at half the price.
And yes, KaBar does use that for some of their knives -- but for the most part, not the BK&T line, there are only 2 off-shore knives in the Becker catalog, the folder and the BK23, a small skeletonized neck knife that wasn't actually designed by Ethan.

New person comes into Ethan's house to be insulting? To be rude to members in good standing within this community? I don't think so. Apparently you never received an MBA in common courtesy. Some people never learn...

Damn y’all cluster bombed the S**t outta that troll!!!! And Dubz be like Step into my office cuz your F**king fired😂

Last edited:
Recently over the last year or so, I know stainless steel costs have Doubled. Aluminum has gone up a Bunch too, but idk if doubled yet?

Plastic moldings aren't always cheaper overseas. We had to bring ours back to being made in america. We were surprised too.
And more will be happening over the years. With supply issues and shipping/fuel costs, it just makes sense.

Some basic benefits of Ethan Becker and KaBar that I would like to mention:

Ethan is a man of the field, not some entrepreneur wannabe who has never been outside other than for photo ops. He has done the things that he intends for his knives (and us) to do -he speaks from experience. His handles are genius - they use ergonomics rather than abrasive friction to provide grip. This is just as effective (if not more so) and is much more comfortable for extended use sessions. That's the chef in him coming out. Moreover, Ethan himself presents himself if someone has an issue (rare) with one of his knives. That's customer service!

Then there's KaBar. It's an American company with American workers in an American factory with a warranty second to none. Next question?

Call me a Fan Boy; guilty as charged!

I love KaBar and Becker.

A USA knife maker with history that has continued to survive in the market.

A company worth supporting in my opinion. It does not hurt that they make great stuff as well!

I'm planning on picking up another BK16 whenever they come back in stock at the knife store.

I know exactly what I'm getting and I don't know of another knife that is cheaper and its equal. On the
other hand I know I can pay more and not get any better of a knife.

That sounds like a bargain to me.

Here's another thought. Considering the "economy of scale" available to Ka-Bar (that it can mass-purchase materials for tens of thousands of knives every year) the cost of the high carbon steel to make a BK 7 or BK 9 is $2.00 at most. Heat treating on a mass scale is not expensive, and with this $100-$120 knife comes plastic garbage handles which can not cost more than $1.00 to make in China or Taiwan, and an embarrassing and dirt cheap nylon sheath. Seeing as how a good set of micarta handled will cost $40-$50, and a decent kydex sheath will cost about $40-$60, you end up $200 deep into a $2 piece of sharpened metal. When you look at the economics of it, these knives should be priced at $30 with the same garbage handles and sheath. This is what a $50K MBA program that did nothing for me, has done to ruin my love of knives.

Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.
Proverbs 17:28

I would love to see a Becker / LT Wright collaboration on a new Patrol Machete!

I would also love to see a Becker / ESEE neck knife in stainless steel with one of the following: a clip point, reverse tanto, or wharncliffe. That would be the perfect neck knife for a hot/humid climate.

Last edited:
A couple thoughts about Ka-Bar production costs. First, let me say I do not claim a MBA, but I respect individuals who have one. Second, potoole did come off as a bit unfriendly; I suspect the tenor of his/her comments hurt the discussion more than the substance of those comments. Third, potoole seemed to make fair points about bulk handle production and sheaths - Beckers are not perfect in either of these areas (yes, I own at least one Becker ;)). Fourth, making knives in upstate New York cannot be cheap or easy. I am sure most of the folks on this thread are aware of the Camillus story....and perhaps soon Ontario :( . I am sure Ka-Bar is making a profit & I have no problem with that. And I'd be willing to bet many knife makers have a much higher profit margin.

Last edited:
I am just a regular Joe, with a high school diploma, so keep that in mind. But I do have 58 yrs of life experience.

I'll be honest here, I sometimes think companies just don't want to make money. I say this because all I have ever gotten when I write to a company with a new idea is a standard, thanks but no thanks, kind of form letter response.

Warrior has come up with some absolutely awesome design ideas and renderings. Since this is the biggest BK&T forum, why not put some designs up for review by the Beckerhead's ? If many like it, make a production run of x number of blades. Give the designer a cut. How hard is that ? That way there would always be new designs, which would encourage more interest, which would probably sell more knives.

Being fast to market would be a big advantage IMHO. Companies that refuse to change with the times sometimes get left behind. They can easily up their game by using social media to their advantage. I can certainly speak for myself when I say, it gets old quickly waiting for a Company to make new knifes. Which is why most of us venture to other brands. Being a true outdoor person, I am surprised Ethan has not designed an Alaskan Ulu yet. I'd be all in on one of those.

Maybe I'm just wishful thinking out loud ? I actually live about an hour from Kabar, Ontario & Cutco here in NY. I would be heartbroken if any of them closed for good or sold out to another country. I am just an average Joe but designing knives and selling them does not seem like rocket science.

Beckerhead # 103.

Last edited:
I am extremely happy that with all of the innovative ideas floated around here, and the discussion of supply issues, Kabar is finally coming out with the ultimate show stopper. The culmination of genius ideas have been put to good use!!! It’s been a rough few years, but the designers have been very busy creating our new grail!!!

The ‘za-saw pizza cutter and the dessert destroyer Ice cream scoop. May I say… WTF?!?!? Last I heard, they were having issues fulfilling orders with existing designs which didn’t allow for new designs. Am I off track or does the messaging of design versus supply chain issues not seem to mesh?

Not sure this is the “innovation” that we Beckerheads find inspiring. I see more energy being put into the Jarosz line, which again is confusing. Where does the new 8” Turok fill a void? It’s a BK9 with an 8” blade. Not long enough to be a great choppper, too long for everything else.

I know this is somewhat unrelated to Ethan as they aren’t in the Becker lineup, but why are we being told there’s no time to design anything new because they can barely fulfill existing orders, but design and make pizza slicers and large spoons? Legitimate questions from your most loyal customers.

Last edited:
I know this is somewhat unrelated to Ethan as they aren’t in the Becker lineup, but why are we being told there’s no time to design anything new because they can barely fulfill existing orders, but design and make pizza slicers and large spoons? Legitimate questions from your most loyal customers.

Molded products use a different production chain from steel products, so I'm sure different equations apply.

It is a good point: "design" and "build" are two fairly discrete steps (I say fairly because prototypes straddle both worlds). I would think KaBar could at least offer some hints about forthcoming designs if the bottle neck is linked to production.

Perhaps the Jarosz line offers greater profit margins? Or maybe Ethan only wants to produce designs he connects with? Heaven only knows....

Back