Becker Skills and Information Thread 05 - March 2014 - Cordage and Knotwork

DerekH

Handsome According to my Mother
Alright folks, we are going to cover cordage and knotwork this time around. Since it's cold out this can be done primarily indoors. Making cordage is something we will need more info on, so if anyone here has experience (and preferably pictures) of making cordage, post it up, we need it.

As far as knotwork, I think we can handle that fairly well.

Like many others here I got a lot of my info and knowledge from Scouting. The story of how I ended up in Scouting started with knots, and it is something I use fairly regularly.

The basic knots that I use are as follows:

The Square Knot - Also known as the first aid knot, doesn't come undone with use, useful in bandages to keep them in place.

12917793054_5845a18a29_o.jpg

Two Half Hitches - Basically a clove hitch around your cordage, make for a very useful and easily tied sliding loop. I use this frequently in securing cargo on the initial end before tensioning.

12917486783_01593b750a_o.jpg

The Taut Line Hitch - Typically used in tensioning guy lines or other types of lines. Not as useful with synthetic cordages as it will tend to slide with things like paracord. To increase grip, use multiple loops on the inside (instead of two use three or four).

12917488053_a6c6be87c3_o.jpg

The Bowline - Also called the rescue knot, this can be tied one-handed around one's torso to allow for a secure non-sliding knot that can be placed under ones arms for rescue purposes. Also useful for creating a non-slipping knot. Care must be taken because it will twist and come undone if tied improperly.

12917485493_d4f61706b1_o.jpg

The Sheet Bend - Used for joining two pieces of cordage, typically ones that are different in size.

12917373265_a17daa0fb7_o.jpg

The Clove Hitch - Basically two half hitches around something instead of your cordage, this knot is one of the most useful knots in existence. Creates a non-sliding loop around another object, useful for anchoring a boat, tying off an animal, or for a ridge line.

12917481463_72e7f509ed_o.jpg

This is far from the majority of knots I use, but these are the basic Boy Scout Knots, and should give anyone a fairly good base of information on tying them. There are several videos on how to tie them online. I highly recommend that if you are planning on learning to tie these knots and retain them well, tie them several times, over and over. The boy was forced to tie each one exactly one hundred times. He doesn't remember the names, but he knows how to tie them. I followed along and did the same, and it has definitely stuck.

I'll add more as I come up with it.

If I had to suggest further knots, I would recommend the Lark's Head and the Trucker's Hitch.

knots are my thing. I've fished since i could hold a pole and my old man taught me a million and a half of em. here's 4 i have pictures of because i used them for another forum. I'll post some of my useful ones i learned from sailing, fishing, boating, etc.

these are basically a couple repeats of yours derekh, but still, I thought i'd post em nonetheless. I'll add new ones soon.

figure 8 on a bight

sheetbend

tautline hitch

2 half hitches

Some natural cordage i made from marsh grass out by our dock....nothing fancy, just for fun. Simple reverse wrap.

figure 8 on a bight

I think it should be noted that this double figure eight is also very good at joining ropes together.

Clove hitch to a biner.
[video=youtube;SjjMCFSaY0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjjMCFSaY0I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Poorly done Prusik. Should have dressed it afterwards, but the idea is there. Did it better in this photo.
12918784963_da54e08581_c.jpg

[video=youtube;6QAjX1D5PCs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QAjX1D5PCs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

How I tie a figure 8, and then a double figure 8.
[video=youtube;vXxGFMIy5js]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXxGFMIy5js&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Got this far before my phone started to die. Sorry about any crappy quality, it's just me and a phone.

Last edited:
I can't do a turks head to save my life! I've tried multiple times, looked at videos, looked at step-by-step walk throughs, even had me shown in person, I just can't do them. However they are more of a decorative knot to me so not one of the necessary ones. One of my favorites for just killing time though is the Chinese clover knots
Not my picture:
F8VNDVJGPLJ0UZ4MEDIUM.jpg

I can only post so many videos at once. So here are the other two I did.

How I learned to tie a bowline.
[video=youtube;3iODVEIU53o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iODVEIU53o&feature=youtu.be[/video]

What I was taught was a bowline on a bight. Later learned different, but it's still interesting and can be useful. I guess the concept of on a bight is the same, using the middle of the rope to make a knot. Maybe a half a bowline on a bight?
[video=youtube;p9eTiqMt4f4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9eTiqMt4f4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Most of the knots I use most have been listed.
I would add the munter hitch I learned to rappel with it & started to use it again just to keep familiar with it.( not that the rescue 8 not great:thumbup:)
Also some people have trouble with knots because many of them go by more then one name. Like one of my favourites the double fishermen's bend or grapevine bend.

Last edited:
Alright folks, we are going to cover cordage and knotwork this time around. Since it's cold out this can be done primarily indoors. Making cordage is something we will need more info on, so if anyone here has experience (and preferably pictures) of making cordage, post it up, we need it.

Is the following what you want? If not, be more specific.

Here is a link to 2 and 3 ply reverse twist cordage.

A picture of Wood Nettle (Laportea canadensis) two-ply cordage.

MakingWMcordage8-finishedcordage2IM.jpg

This might take you to some pictures on how to process Common Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) for cordage fibers.

I guess I should also mention that the outer skin of green milkweed can be used, as is, for expedient cordage, such as lashing a shelter together. I've also used it 3-braided for a string for bow drill friction fire making. You saw one example in my Machax thread.

Doc

Last edited:
Is the following what you want? If not, be more specific.

Here is a link to 2 and 3 ply reverse twist cordage.

A picture of Wood Nettle (Laportea Canadensis) two-ply cordage.

MakingWMcordage8-finishedcordage2IM.jpg

This might take you to some pictures on how to process Common Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca) for cordage fibers.

I guess I should also mention that the outer skin of green milkweed can be used, as is, for expedient cordage, such as lashing a shelter together. I've also used it 3-braided for a string for bow drill friction fire making. You saw one example in my Machax thread.

Doc

That is exactly what I was hoping for. Some of your toggle knots would be awesome as well!

Derek, I checked the Machax thread hoping to link to the knots video, but it has been somewhat corrupted. I'll check with Phil and see if it can be remedied, if not, I'll post some toggle knot pictures. Also do you want some video on cordage making? How to reverse twist or prepping the natural material?

Doc

What would be fantastic is if you could get us some vid of cordage making that shows how to splice in additional material. They never show that it seems.

What would be fantastic is if you could get us some vid of cordage making that shows how to splice in additional material. They never show that it seems.

That's no problem, just give me a couple of days. There are basically 3 ways of splicing, all of which are really easy once you see them.

Doc

Awesome! Thank you very much. I always look forward to you learnin us stuff.

OK, I whipped up a little video on splicing. Check it out and see if it answers your questions. If not I can do another. When you're trying to explain things, sometimes, you skip over bits that, while you understand them, the other person doesn't and that could be the case here.

To practice splicing, I suggest you get some jute or equivalent, separate the fibers and then make your cordage. Jute is, after all, a natural fiber, just not one that grows in North America.

One thing that might not be clear in the video is when you add new fiber, make sure there is no twist in the ply you're adding it to so that when you do twist it, it becomes one homogenous ply. In other words, the character of that ply is consistent through its diameter.

I should have taken a little more time and made the cordage a little nicer, and I do when making cordage, but the intent was to demonstrate splicing and I hope it succeeds. If not, let me know.

[video=youtube;RWMcF-BSbew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWMcF-BSbew&feature=player_detailpage&list=UUJHrxmHr5vvgZjlejwZuqqw[/video]

ETA: I rewatched the video and something I don't think I mentioned is that when you splice using the first 3 methods, the strength of your cordage can vary considerably through its length, because of the splices. By using the last method, let's call it the continuous splice, the strength is much more consistent.

Doc

Last edited:
OK, I whipped up a little video on splicing. Check it out and see if it answers your questions. If not I can do another. When you're trying to explain things, sometimes, you skip over bits that, while you understand them, the other person doesn't and that could be the case here.

To practice splicing, I suggest you get some jute or equivalent, separate the fibers and then make your cordage. Jute is, after all, a natural fiber, just not one that grows in North America.

One thing that might not be clear in the video is when you add new fiber, make sure there is no twist in the ply you're adding it to so that when you do twist it, it becomes one homogenous ply. In other words, the character of that ply is consistent through its diameter.

I should have taken a little more time and made the cordage a little nicer, and I do when making cordage, but the intent was to demonstrate splicing and I hope it succeeds. If not, let me know.

[video=youtube;RWMcF-BSbew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWMcF-BSbew&feature=player_detailpage&list=UUJHrxmHr5vvgZjlejwZuqqw[/video]

ETA: I rewatched the video and something I don't think I mentioned is that when you splice using the first 3 methods, the strength of your cordage can vary considerably through its length, because of the splices. By using the last method, let's call it the continuous splice, the strength is much more consistent.

Doc

That was utterly fantastic! Thank you a thousand times sir.

That was utterly fantastic! Thank you a thousand times sir.

Thanks Derek, glad you liked it. Does it address everything you wanted? Is there anything that needs to be explained? Don't be shy if there is.

Additionally, I spoke to my buddy Phil and he's looking into the Machax videos on Youtube. If it gets sorted out, I'll post a link to the toggled knot video. If not, I'll post some toggled knot pictures.

Doc

Thanks Derek, glad you liked it. Does it address everything you wanted? Is there anything that needs to be explained? Don't be shy if there is.

Additionally, I spoke to my buddy Phil and he's looking into the Machax videos on Youtube. If it gets sorted out, I'll post a link to the toggled knot video. If not, I'll post some toggled knot pictures.

Doc

Nope we are looking good. Thanks again!

http://www.animatedknots.com/

there's an iphone app too. at one time i could say i knew all the knots on that site, and more, cold. unfortunately, he keeps adding news ones ;)

latest knots i like: somerville bowline

most useful "knots" i used ALL THE TIME: zeppelin, alpine butteryfly, slip knots, sheet bend, various "stopper" knots (esp the ashley), trucker's, rolling hitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gec2C_ChCm8

[video=youtube;gec2C_ChCm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gec2C_ChCm8[/video]

looks to be a good way to make your own custom straps and bands. generally, a loom of this type can make in rapid order, about 8 feet of ... STUFF.

get to it :D

Back