<<BECKERHEAD BEACHBODIES>> ;) *MYB* G~A~W !! {not just for fitness pros....}

This is going to be a little wordy, but - I'm thinking that most of you are not going to read the whole thing, anyway....so, at the very least, skip to the highlighted part at the end....

Been a while since the MYB thread has been run - and it's been a quite a while since I actually did anything fitness-wise. So...I finally got my butt into the pool tonight and swam for the first time in months. The first couple hundred meters, quite frankly, sucked. I was having, along with some pain in my neglected body, quite a few self-critical thoughts - and as I was trying to redirect the downward mental spiral, I got to thinking about the old MYB thread. I used to look forward to doing something that I could post up, the encouragement, the enjoyment of collecting the points that didn't matter....in short, it was a mental lift, as well as physical. And, as I started to fall into the rhythm of it, trying to just un-focus on the shoulder pain, reminding myself that, no matter how competitive I was in my youth, I ain't that young anymore - and you gotta start somewhere. I had a thought. Then, a few more....and by the time I got out of the pool, I had a pretty fleshed out idea for this "MYB" thread - and I had managed to swim 1600 meters while I kinda wasn't paying attention. Surprised myself greatly, considering my near total lack of activity for the last few months. While I was dosing on chlorine, a plan coalesced - but this is not going to be the MYB thread of old. Those had too few participants and, I think, possibly intimidated the non-athletes, the health challenged and the aging brethren (and sistern) among us. This one is going to be as INCLUSIVE as I can make it - but I'm gonna need everyone's help.

SO. Here's how it's going down:

This thread will run from its posting until June 11, 2017 - because I will be doing my annual ADA ride and need to be fit enough to ride a 100k loop with my brother, and I need time to make the top GAW item. Yes, there will be a few - read on. You will be entered into the GAW for regular participation in this thread....honor system applies, plus: THIS WILL BE ABOUT STARTING WHERE YOU ARE. If you are starting from running marathons, great! If you are starting from running out of breath getting up the stairs - even better. More chance for improvement. My goal is to get as many of you [FONT=&quot]BK&T [/FONT]regulars participating as possible. Feel free to use the MYB point system if you wish (I probably will for myself) or not....they don't matter, anyway. I'll dig up the points matrix and post it in the next day or two for those of you who may not have seen it.

Rules for entry into the GAW:

I will be limiting this to Beckerheads and regular contributors and/or participants in the BK&T sub. You know who you are and I know who (most of) you are. I'll be honest: You folks that fill up Ethan's house have, quite literally, changed my life. So this one is for the homeboys.
*That being said, if you've wandered in here from some other part of BF, participate in this thread AND sit down around our digital campfire, I'll be more than happy to certify your eligibility for the GAW.

Post some activity in this thread over the next several weeks. No specific number of posts required, but....

DO something, anything, to improve your physical and/or mental well-being (IMO, they go hand in hand). Stretch, meditate, walk in the woods, walk the dog, do yardwork, run up a mountain, roll your walker farther than the day before, cycle, swim, dance, drum (have you ever seen a fat drummer? no.), skate, rollerblade, roller ski, roll your baby in a stroller, chop down a tree, chop wood, carry water......DO. SOMETHING. Then do it again, or do a different something. Mix and match. It will count, so long as you honestly believe it counts.

Chat all you want in this thread, and please be positive - not only towards others, but yourself as well. Chat posts do not count as physical activity, though ;).

I haven't fully figured out the GAW items yet - though I have a Garmin VivoSmart I will be giving out on May 19th for my mom's 83rd birthday. Anyone that's been participating at that point (and is interested) will be eligible. Keep an eye on this and the next couple posts for more details.

The top GAW will be a Becker modified by me. Likely to be a BK-14, re-ground and fitted with a full length handle, sheath and firesteel to go with. I reserve the right to change my mind.....but if you've seen my mods, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Not being boastful - I'm way too self-critical to GAW something I wouldn't carry myself ;). I've got some other things that I'll be posting up as this runs its course, pictures and details will be added....but in the meantime, please participate in whatever way you feel capable of. The more people that join in, the more stuff I will find to give away. If you win one of the intermediate GAW's, your name will still go back into the hat for the final. Hopefully that'll keep everyone on board.

All GAW items will be done by participation, not post count or randomized post numbers. I realize some will do more than others, post more or less than others - bottom line is this: anyone who participates has an equal chance to win. So get out there and do this - for yourself.

I may have omitted things. I may add things. I may tweak rules. I may change my mind. I may forget, or remember, or have a revelation....so stay tuned!

* I am quite sure I should have some sort of disclaimer here, but imma just have faith that ain't nunay'all gonna hold ME responsible for stuff you should know better'n to. Aight?

FINALLY! First of the GAW's, a BK&T Remora, goes to Aikiguy - congratulations to you.

34545889372_99dd1cc8b7_b.jpg

I want to thank everyone for their continuing participation...and stay tuned, there's more to come. I have a Garmin VivoSmart to give away Friday....and I've started drawing for the customized 14 - I'll post some pics in the next few days.

It's really cool to see the many different ways folks are getting some movement in. Keep it up!

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea, Mike.

Maybe it'll help me stay consistent on my evening walks.
Did a 2 miler tonight with a 25lb rucksack.
And held a 1 minute plank this morning.
Getting in the pool sounds like a great idea. Hopefully I'll make it happen a couple times before June.

Curious how long it took you to complete 1600 after such a break. I'll be lucky to cruise in under an hour...

Thank you GSOM. You just provided the kick in the a** I've been needing to get my lard butt moving. It's been more than 6 months since I did any kind of regular fitness stuff other than weekend warrior yard work. Probably just start with some walking but I'm in. Thanks.

I've been starting a push towards commuting via alternative methods to automobile, so hopefully this will motivate me to really buckle down and do it. (now that there's daylight it's a little easier to get some outdoor activities in after work without being unsafe, so that helps)

Hmmm. Might jump in on this. Finally just staring to get over some health issues. Have been thinking all winter I need to get my broke-assed body out and back into some semblance of shape. That and the fact cabin fever's been eating away at me lately. Thanks for putting this on GSOM. And good luck on your ride!

Good idea! Nice job on that mile swim what was your time? I'd be interested for sure count me in!!!

I'm in - currently trying to make a habit of "eating less unhealthy" and doing more activities than a biweekly HD household chore/project.

Hmmmm... I think I'm going to try and get in on this. Don't know about this "beachbody" concept though lol. I'm 18 weeks pregnant as of today and I haven't done much as far as physical fitness despite really needing to. Recently I finally seem to have stopped barfing though, so yay! nasuea only lingers in the evening. Lately all I've been doing is going to the gym 1-2x a week with my friend and doing about 20 min of cardio and a little weights/stretching. It's not much at all compared to what I used to do, but my friend and I were talking about how we're going to try and up the intensity each week for the next month to try and get back on track. I'll try and post here for a little accountability. I guess I'll dust off my fitbit and try and get some more steps in too :) Good Luck everyone and thanks GSOM for getting this party started.

I'm in - I lost the weight I wanted last year; but I've been slacking in the exercise department over the winter. A little tuneup on the diet, along with more regular activity, and I'll be a happy camper... (assuming I can start sleeping better)

Spring decided that winter should come back for a weekend. So no walk tonight.
But I did have chicken salad for 2 meals, and got in my crunches and push-ups.
Maybe I'll spend some time on the treadmill so it doesn't all go to waste.

Nice to see folks chiming in. Cap - I was just tryin' to get people's attention....I'm nowhere near "beach body" and at peace with the prospect that I most likely never will be. Sorry about the nausea...I've seen it firsthand - and it was no fun for me, either, even tho I wasn't the one puking.

And for allay'all, I got a little story to tell - which was probably the main story I was holding in my head (aside from my own personal struggles :rolleyes:) while I was putting this thread together.

My neighbor Lenny used to work for the state power company, and for most of the thirteen plus years I've lived next door, I've known him as a very robust, hard working, friendly guy. Vietnam vet. Father, husband, grandfather - always kind....the best kind of neighbor that anyone could wish for. Then he retired from the power company a few years back, and was really enjoying his retirement. Keeping up his yard, travelling to visit family, enjoying his grandkids....retirement stuff. He had a new shed built on his property; he was considerate enough to let me know and kinda ask for permission - 'cause it was gonna block my view a little - through his yard. That kind of neighbor. Just before the winter of 2014, we had decided to get a new roof as the old one was leaking and shingles were blowing off and, and, and. I hadn't seen him in a couple months - I had thought that he might be visitiing family in the southwest - but I knocked on his door one night to ask him if it was OK if the roofers used his driveway to get their truck down to the back of our place. When he answered the door, he was towing an oxygen tank - and my heart just sank. Turns out the reason I hadn't seen him was because he had pulmonary fibrosis that came on pretty quickly. I went in and sat down and got the whole story, which in a nutshell, came down to a lack of protective equipment working for the utility and exposure (most likely) to asbestos. Which brings me to the point of this story. While I was sitting there listening to him tell me this tale, pausing to catch his breath, dealing with the oxygen hose....he was working out. He had a couple dumbells, maybe a pound or two each - and for about 15 minutes total out of our 2 hour long conversation, he would do a set of lifts over his head, run out of breath, stop for a few minutes - then do another set when his oxygen level came back up a bit. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I went over to drop off a couple dinners I'd saved in the freezer for him (if I'm crockpot cooking, I usually fill it up and take him the leftovers) and he's still toughing it out. There is, obviously, a lot more to this story - but to me, the important part is that he is starting where he is, every day. That is what I had in mind when I started this thread. Do what you can, and screw the numbers. Do it for yourself, encourage everyone else to do the same, and cut yourself some slack.

His lungs aren't going to get better (tho there is now hope that he may get a transplant - the strange upside of the very tragic situation of so many opioid deaths) BUT he's doing what he's capable of, when he could just throw in the towel. I'm never going to be the strapping 17 year old swimming star (HA!) I once was....but that doesn't mean I shouldn't do what I can, and be ok with it.

Glad to have you all along. Tom: good onya. Mbay: Just. start. You don't need a kick in the a$$. Matthew: Cool. Daily routine is always the easiest way to keep at it. Aiki: cut yourself some slack. See above. James: glad to have you along. Erik: I'm pretty sure swinging a hammer counts as weightlifting. If it's pounding metal on an anvil, all the better. Cap: you're pregnant, girlfriend. Don't overdo it. Anecdotally, all the swimming ladies I know really enjoyed the pool while they were carrying - some even competed in Masters meets....tho none went off the blocks ;).

Tom and James: numbers are not important ;). I don't remember the total time (tho I could check) as I stopped a few times for a couple minutes each. It was very helpful to actually not count laps - which I normally DO NOT lose track of. I knew generally where I was, distance-wise.....I averaged ~1:50/100m, if I'm remembering right - so, a shade over 29 minutes total swim time. I was never a distance guy, anyway - too little waterline and too much weight astern (I was too short and have/had big legs) - and I can go faster, with some fitness. Trying not to focus on that ATM, tho. I DO need to just get in the pool and swim. Ride my bike, even if it's only an hour. Go for a walk, try to do a little running. Paddle my kayak. Stretch out my aging frame. Drink less beer, but enjoy it more. Achieve the....achievable :D.

For reference: in 1979, I swam the 100 yd free (short course) in 53.9. A feat which I will never be able to repeat - and I am perfectly ok with that. I just wanna be in it for the long run....so thanks to all of you, as well, for joining in.

This sounds like a good place to keep myself accountable. I'm glad to see this MYB kinda thing continuing around here.

I just have one question how do you win? Do you like get points or something per workout?

Somebody had to make it about the prizes :rolleyes: lol
The real win is in doing this for oneself, and hopefully building a habit that sticks. I was already planning on doing what I'm going to do... this Just gives me a little more accountability... and maybe a little push to actually do something when I'm running low on sleep for days at a time.

So how often should we think about checking in? I'm thinking weekly, tops, for myself (maybe every other, if I'm just sticking to a routine) ; but can see why some people might want to do more, or less, often.

Three years ago I was running a ton and even trained for a triathalon. Now I am two years into the slow decline that is child rearing. He is finally old enough that I can get back into it. I haven't run in over a year and have a 5k run/walk to do on Saturday. Hopefully more running than walking but we shall see. I'll post it up when finished. Gonna fell a few trees on Sunday and start some shiitake logs. Should be a busy weekend and some good exercise.

Somebody had to make it about the prizes :rolleyes: lol
The real win is in doing this for oneself, and hopefully building a habit that sticks. I was already planning on doing what I'm going to do... this Just gives me a little more accountability... and maybe a little push to actually do something when I'm running low on sleep for days at a time.

So how often should we think about checking in? I'm thinking weekly, tops, for myself (maybe every other, if I'm just sticking to a routine) ; but can see why some people might want to do more, or less, often.

I merely mean how does the scoring work? Per hour of workout? But then some work outs are more intense so how would that work?

Back