Beckerhead Chop Test at Half Moon Ridge

Moosez45

Custom Antlers, Factory Knives...
While out camping this weekend, I got to go to Ethan's house for a little Beckerhead Chop Testing. I also got to watch the destruction test of the ESKABAR and snack down on some GREAT cooking, LOL.

We got to Ethan's place, and kinda BS'd for a little just talking knives, steel, designs, and the like, then it was time to take some uppity Poplar down a few pegs, by introducing the Poplar log to the Machax, Brute, Reinhardt Kukri, Patrol Machete, BK9, and BK2. I got to use each one in turn to decide for myself which ones cut the best, had the best ergos, and would be crowned "Moose's Best Becker Chopper"

First up the Brute
Its been many, many moons since I owned a Brute. I had forgotten how the Big Guy worked. The ergos are good, nothing special. Its ability to chop is hindered by the grind, weight, and balance. Its still a good firering worker, but for the chopper, it didn't cut it. I took about 6 hard swings and realized, this guy can chop, but not that well at total material removal.
IMG_1864.jpg

Second up the BK9
Now I have one, but I don't use it. I have it put up for a later date, when future users will be big enough to enjoy this powerhouse. I used my Camillus BK9 quite a bit 5yrs ago, but it was sold to a young man with limited funds, and a good heart a long time back. For those that have a BK9 and use it, this will not come as a surprise, but this thing chops, and chops, and chops. Even with my poor technique, I was able to cut through 4" of Poplar in less than 25 swings. Wood flying everywhere, my arm NOT burning, and DEEP, DEEP bites with every swing, has this guy leaving the Brute in the dust, no doubt
IMG_1872.jpg

Third up the Machax
My first Machax was more akin to a club than an knife, but still performed quite well. I didn't remember it working this well though. I started in with the Cinci Machax (mine was a Cam) and soon the wood was flying. It took about 30 swings to remove a section of the poplar. Good ergos, great balance for a chopper (all forward weighted), and good flat grind, this dude was as good as the BK9, and alot better than the Brute. When the new Machax comes out, get one. The stock will be thinner, better balanced, and better than the Cinci and Cam Machaxs by far. BKT/Kabar is rockin' out with this guy.
IMG_1891.jpg

Fourth up the Reinhardt Kukri
I never owned one, never handled one, and this would be my first experience with it. DAMN!!!! This thing chops better than any large knife I have ever handled. I didn't count the swings, but it was less than all the previous testers. The reason why I didn't count, is the fact that every swing, this thing would BURY itself in and I had to force it out. Every swing. The weight and balance with the RK is suberb, very alive in the hand. The full flat grind and forward weight let this guy FLY through the air. By far the best chopper of them all, maybe too good. With my poor technique, I wasn't adding that little twist at the end of my stroke to break the medium free, so, it was sticking DEEP and HARD with every swing. Thats probably the only reason why this guy didn't take the top chopper. Granted you can blame it my crappy technique, but this bites deep everytime, requiring a break in stance and position to free it up.
IMG_1892.jpg

Fourth up the Patrol Machete
In my opinion, the best machete thats been made for hard use. I had two of them a few years ago, but sold them to finance another purchase. I'm a dumass. Now adays, the BPM is hard to come by, even at Ethan's place. As they work so well, they usually find their way to all kinds of places. As soon as I grabbed this guy up, the first thing you notice is the length. Its not too long, rather thick in the spine, and balanced forward. Ergos are typical of a Becker knife handle, so, on to the chopping. First swing hit hard, bit deep (not as deep as the RK), but didn't give you that vibration that a usual machete chop gives, very solid delivery. The depth was about as deep as the BK9, but it was easily freed with a solid tug and got right back after it. It took about 20 strokes to get through the poplar log, and when the piece came off, it hit the wall hard, with Ethan saying "Now we're talkin', Moose it up!!" I loved this thing when I had it, and selling my 2 were just stoopid. Take solice though, the BPM is not dead yet.
IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

Last was the BK2
I know what you are thinking, "How can the Bk2 compete with these fine specimens?" Well, it can't. I chopped with the BK2 to prove a point, it can be done, easily, and that it is a functional chopper. Those that have seen my posts regarding the BK2, know how I feel about it. For those that are just tuning in, I thinks its the best knife value on the market today, capable of doing any and all tasks that a good hip knife should. This weekend, I made cedar shavings so thin you could see through them, to chop a 4" poplar log in half with it. It simply is IMHO, the best knife design for a woodsmans knife there is, plus, it kicks ass in the kitchen. The balance is perfect, you WILL NEVER TEAR THIS THING UP, unless you use POWER TOOLS TO DO IT. Nuff sed, onto the chopping. My arm was feeling a little fatigued, and I told the group, "I'm about to do something stupid" to which Ethan's reply was, "Do I need to call my insurance company? How stupid we goin' here?" I pulled out my BK2 off my hip, wrapped one of Ethan's tactical lanyards around it, and started choppin'. Took about 40 strokes to bite all the way through the poplar log, but IT DID CHOP THE LOG IN HALF IN 40 STROKES, I repeat, my BK2 chopped a 4" poplar log in 40 strokes. So, if someone says a BK2 won't chop, they don't have one.
100_1434.jpg

100_1435.jpg

All things said, this was a VERY fun trip. Ethan is a very great host, and I want to thank you for having us up.

I also got to see, hold, and fondle several cool things in Ethan's shop, and if he says I can, I will post some pics of them. The future is gonna be cool, as I got to catch a glimpse of what's around the corner.

So, in conclusion, after my very scientific test (yeah, right, lol) the title of Moose's Best Becker Chopper goes to

THE BK9

Here's why. Its offers the best chopper in the smallest size, and is available right now, through many dealers. It didn't stick in the medium very much, removed a ridiculous amount of material with every swing, and is capable of other duties as well. More to come on this Beckerheads trip to the one place all Beckerheads want to go, Ethan's Workshop.
IMG_1932.jpg

Photos by John Becker
Thanks ya'll. Moose

Last edited:
Very nice, Moose, thank you. And thank you to Ethan for hosting the test.
What I noticed, (not to make light of the testing in any way), was the trusty 2 strapped to your hip. Yeah, I'm biased as well.

BZ (Good job),
Bridgy

nice :) i hate you, but still nice :>

these tests should be repeated, so practice the techniques, and try it again ;)

snapping with the khukri technique might just be more effective than a straight BK9, so a large forward weighted blade like the PM and Reinhardt Khukri should do nicely.

i'd almost be willing to believe the Machax would beat out the combat bowie, but well, we'll see :>

good job.

Bladite

(ps hate you :>)

Very nice! Great review. It's good to see several different blades go to work on the same exact medium. I could see how deep the BK9 bit into the log...very impressive!!

I would have been very interested to see how the BK7 landed. Would it have been as good as the BK9, or perhaps just good enough? Great review. Thanks!

Hey Everybody......

Good time, good time.....It was fun watching the Mooseman work that hard!!!!!!.....I love chopping fresh poplar because a lot happens and you feel soooo good making those big chips fly......I use it as my "go to" media partly because I know it's properties so well and because there is no shortage of it on the property......It is amazingly prolific here and it grows incredibly fast......And it IS a really Fun chop...........Really had a good time with everybody and can hardly wait for a spring rendezvous.....

All Best....

ethan

thats right , but both of knive BK9 and Kabar D2 extreme break in same place.

wrong construction do you think ?

they broke where they did because that's where the force was applied.

the break point could be chosen at will by the destroyer: tip, anywhere in the middle, or the base. pretty simple.

they were also broken in two completely different ways.

nosss enjoys breaking knives, that's about it.

Bladite

I am glad Moose broke out the BK2. Choppin party wouldn't be right if it wouldn't be included. I've brought both my bk9 and 2 with me and ended up using the bk2 more anyway.....

No doubt the 9 is a chopper though, kinda disappointed by the brute but glad I got my 9:thumbup:

Still would buy a brute in a heartbeat. :D

My Brute still takes spruce limbs off like the right hand of Zeus. And although I'm quite sure that the BK-9 is a better chopper than the old Brute, I'll stick with a BK-2 and small forest axe..... It would be interesting to compare a tomahawk to the BK-9 as many hawks are in the medium to light weight range. I'd bet that the BK-9 could stand up to a Hawk. I know that my Brute could stand up to my medium weight hawk in chopping ability.

Back