Beckerhead firearms

went by one of the local pawn ships yesterday, they had a chineese SKS in decent shape with a low power BSA scope in it for $380, was tempted but I'm not sure if it's a good price or not

It's not. Chinese SKS is about $300.

So, I am thinking of buying a lever action for hunting. What do you guys think, .30-30 or .45-70?

What do you want to hunt? .30-30 ammo is about 1/2 the price of .45-70.

Last edited:
What do you want to hunt? .30-30 ammo is about 1/2 the price of .45-70.
I plan ti hunt mainly deer, but I will be using it in a sadle scabard when I ride, so it needs to be a suitable defence caliber. I looked at the prices as well. .45-70 is twice the price, but also twice the lead.

I plan ti hunt mainly deer, but I will be using it in a sadle scabard when I ride, so it needs to be a suitable defence caliber. I looked at the prices as well. .45-70 is twice the price, but also twice the lead.

.30-30 will take care of anything you run afoul of in Washington. Marlin 336 youth is a nice compact rifle. A Marlin guide gun in .45-70 is a nice handy rifle too if you want to launch freight trains. :D

depends on what you're hunting, 30-30 is capable of taking anything from coyote to moose, but if i was going to be doing alot of large game hunting (bear,moose) then I'd go with the 45-70

.30-30 will take care of anything you run afoul of in Washington. Marlin 336 youth is a nice compact rifle. A Marlin guide gun in .45-70 is a nice handy rifle too if you want to launch freight trains. :D

I think I will be going Henry myself. I just can't get a feel for the Marlins. And whichever I buy, it will be steel block. I don't like all the gaudy brass.
Yeah, the .30-30 will certainly work. It will be more than i need, to be honest I have always had a taste for overkill, though. :D

So I had this cool idea for transporting any variant of a Mossberg 500 series shotgun. I recently discovered that 590 and 835 magazine tubes have the same threads on both ends so you could remove the barrel and magazine tube and use a spare 590/835 mag cap to retain the spring and follower in the tube while it was off the gun, and you could do this with any of the 500 series and the Mavrick 88 chambered in 12 gauge (only because there are no models with removable magazine end caps in other chamberings).

I took some quick measurements on my 590 with an 18.5" barrel. The OAL fully assembled was about 39", with the barrel removed and the mag tube in place it would be 35", and with the action open so that the fore end is all the way back and the mag tube removed the length is down to 30" which should be short enough to fit in a decent-sized piece of luggage if you were on a road trip and wanted to discretely bring your gun up to your hotel room from your car. Since it's dissembled and not in a condition to be fired that should keep you legal with regards to walking around with it hidden in your suitcase for the most part. Obviously this is only for the purposes of going to and from your vehicle and where you're sleeping and not to go strolling around everywhere with a shotgun in your bag, or trying to do something really foolish like sneak it past a security checkpoint (which would never work anyway). If you needed to get shorter you could even take the action tube assembly and bolt out and the length is about 21".

I was thinking of finding myself another Mossberg 500 and building a "traveling" shotgun with wood stock set and 18-20" vent rib barrel to look as "PC" as possible and using the above mentioned mag tube idea to turn it into a pseudo-takedown. Mostly just because I think it would be neat and not for any actual or perceived need.

.30-30 Winchester wins! I found a good price at a local pawn shop. Lets hope I can get it!

I have a Mossberg 930 SPX & absolutely LOVE it. Then the NYS Safe Act came out & it became illegal overnight, with the stroke of a pen. Then I had to get a non-pistolgripped stock for it to keep it legal. $64 right from Mossberg. That sucks bigtime. LOVED that pistolgripped stock. For some unknown reason, the D.E.C. seem to be dismayed as to why i hunt deer with a combat shotgun. It has a plug, so it only holds 4 rounds in the mag during deer season. Simple, it is one of the few new autoloading shotguns that can shoot the cheap old deerslugs, birdshot & buckshot all out of the same barrel.

Also have a Marlin lever action 336 .30-30. Great rifle. I have heard good things about the Hornady Leverevolution rounds for it. I have a box but have not fired them yet.

I have a pretty new Mossy 930spx as well Twinstick. I like mine a lot but i need to get more rounds through it.
I got mine with the standard stock because I know the laws are a fickle bitch

Any thoughts on the ptr-91?

Any of the readily available HK91 type rifles are solidly built and reliable battle rifles. I find that the 91's are tougher to reload as the mag well is typically very tight and you have to rock the mag in like an AK or FAL. Field stripping and cleaning are also more complex. However, the iron sights are excellent, and best of all, mags are still relatively inexpensive. YMMV

Had these for a while but I didn't have a picture of the top one and I only had a crappy pic of the bottom one so I snapped this for another forum. Gun on the top is a 629-6 (.44 magnum) and the bottom is a 625-3 Model of 1989 (.45 ACP) both with 5" barrels.

13343040_10154013627505219_2086902408268677369_n.jpg

Oooh! Aaah! :D :thumbup:
I finally sprung my GP100 from layaway and landed it in Cali-jail last week, it'll be another week afore it's paroled. :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:
[video=youtube;2xbG3mA5rj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xbG3mA5rj8[/video]
:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:
Stupi-fornia. :grumpy:

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the ptr-91?

I was just checking Atlantic Firearms today and the Zenith version is only a little more and is made under licence. I've heard good things about the PTR but I've heard even better about Zenith. I don't know much of the specifics of the PTR but I know Zenith tries to get their guns as close to the original H&K guns as they can so that stocks and parts will interchange.

Picked up this nice old Mossberg 835 today. Should make the perfect base for a project I have in mind.

13434730_10154032739375219_3874921436015068281_n.jpg

Playing around with some parts I had.

18.5" 590a1 barrel
13407115_10154032759445219_8748636422493557880_n.jpg

20" 500 barrel and tube.
13427749_10154032759440219_6157775880513772511_n.jpg

Gonna either shorten the vent rib barrel to about 20" (whatever lines up with a rib support) and take an inch out of the stock and make a PC defense shotgun. The mag tube on the Mossberg's unscrews so you can take the gun down and stuff it in a bag.

Back