Beckerhead Knife Making and Modification Thread

learning occurred today - one of the lessons was: mig welding dissimilar thickness steels when the temp is below 30 sucks
second lesson was: HTing thin steel when it's this brisk out sucks even worse.
assembly & construction went well, kept it rustic/used looking so it'll look good enough hanging on the wall in a buddy's brewery.
51718659_10156977979019603_4154249869436911616_n.jpg

Pretty dang cool man. :thumbsup:

I'm stripping the coating off my 10 and 11, and my question is on how do you keep the steel from rusting between the scales. They both have Micarta. Just rub it in with mineral oil once in a while?

I'm stripping the coating off my 10 and 11, and my question is on how do you keep the steel from rusting between the scales. They both have Micarta. Just rub it in with mineral oil once in a while?

leave the paint under the scales?

1066vik 1066vik is right. That's what I usually do. If I do strip the entire blade I usually tape off the blade when I'm done and spray the handle with clear enamel or something similar before I put the scales back on.

Idk if it was mentioned, but greasing the handle under the scales with vaseoline works ok too.
I do it with my bk62

I got a good deal on a Buck 113 Ranger skinner. I figured it would be a good urban daily carry option. Itโ€™s a nice little knife with a good sheath.

Turns out the grind is a little wonky at the choil. Itโ€™s a sweeping grind with a curved grind line. Making for a very thick edge right at the sharpening choil. What makes it worse is as the knife wears and is sharpened down even a little the problem will get exponentially worse.
View attachment 1083965

To my eye the grind line goes to the wrong side of the choil. The sharpie mark is were the grind line belongs. View attachment 1083961

Last edited:
Back